Coming to Netflix: The Witcher

1. I said I was “uncomforable”, which was deliberately subjective and a pretty tame qualifier. I even said “It’s ok, but also uncomfortable.” If that’s enough to engender accusations of reactionary bigotry, then you’re just trolling.
  2. You asked me why uncomfortable and I responded with some detail. Nothing in my response said anything about it being exploitative. It’s a trope to have an older guy with a younger woman. That trope serves to reinforce cultural ideas about the declining worth of women as they age. It’s sad that this show, which as you point out has a female show-runner, is reinforcing that trope. It doesn’t mean I won’t watch it. It doesn’t even mean that it’s a bad casting choice. Just that my first impression is regret that they’re going with a younger woman and discomfort that it mirrors this negative cultural stereotype. I really wanted Rebecca Ferguson.
  3. The very fact that this is fiction and a TV show means the show-runners can make whatever choice they want about casting. And that those choices are indeed choices. If this was a 35 year old dude I knew dating a 22 year old then whatever; I’m firmly OK with consensual adults hooking up in whatever configurations they want to. If it was a historical show about Charlie Chaplin, then I’d want Oona O’Neil to be played by a (much) younger actress. It’s not, and there’s a good reason that Yen should be played by an actress with some gravitas.

OK, yeah, you’re right. That’s what it is. You’ve got my number. Trolling accomplished. I’m just gonna delete all my posts in this thread and abandon it. And I guess I just need to step away from the internet for awhile. You win.

EDIT: Tom asked me to undelete my posts, so I’ve done so, but I need to rethink how I’m interacting on the forums, so am taking a break from them for a bit.

I’m not trolling you. You clearly have very personal reasons for your point of view.

Now please understand: I have very personal views on the subject of age and personal relationships.

We will have to agree to disagree on this.

I was hoping for Lena Heady as Yen. The character needs gravitas – this isn’t an eye candy/ romantic interest role. Given the showrunner/ director, etc, I’m not worried about that, though.

I mean, at some point you’ve gotta trust a showrunner on this and just hope for the best, right? There’s clearly an appreciation for the source material at work here, and there are decent-ish writing pedigrees in the group…so yeah. I’ll trust this to work, and if it fails, well, then that’s a bridge to complain about when we get there. ;)

No comments about Ciri actually NOT being a person of colour after all, which had being rumoured earlier? I appreciate that she seems close enough to the Ciri we saw in the game, but a different take wouldn’t have bugged me that much.

But he didn’t do the same thing. He addressed you with respect you actually weren’t even due, because you’ve been an antagonistic asshole in this thread. Now please edit the posts that were flagged a few hours ago, and also please ease up when you disagree with someone. Here and elsewhere.

-Tom

From what I’ve seen on reddit and elsewhere people are very positive about Ciri’s casting; I saw a scene from Into the Badlands with her and think she will probably do very well as Ciri.

Apparently Henry’s on-set trailer is Kaer Morhen

The creator sold rights to his book for much lower money than what the franchise is worth. Too bad for him.

Well, he sold the rights to his book universe to CDPR to make videogames for a very low price. Inarguably.

HOWEVER. There’s a very good (and probably very strong and correct) argument to make that CDPR’s games massively heightened the global value of The Witcher intellectual property overall. In fact, I don’t think there’s any view that’s supported by evidence.

But this is a Netflix series, and CDPR and Sapkowski’s deal with the game company don’t come into play. This was a deal negotiated with Netflix back in 2016 and 2017, more than a year after the international hit Witcher 3 videogame came out. The TV series is based on the books, and not the games, and presumably Andrei Sapkowski’s representatives negotiated a much better deal for him with Netflix based on the current value of the property than was negotiated 17 years ago for the videogame rights. As evidence of this, Sapkowski will have multple credits on this series, including consulting producer.

Hoping that’s just a wig test. They need to add some beard and scars in makeup.

“We’ll fix it in post.”

Well, the series is based on the books, and in the books Geralt actually doesn’t like having a beard.

Does he like looking like he’s about to lead the defense of Helm’s Deep? :)

“And my two swords!”

He looks like he’s going to model runway chic clothing based on that.

Definitely needs a bit more wear and roughness.

Yup. That’s Cavill in a wig.

He does now? ;)