Coming to Netflix: The Witcher

Hahahaha. I think they can make this work just fine with Cavill…but they need to rough his face up some too.

I hope they do something, because like I figured he would, he looks too young. I’m not saying we need Robert Redford or Ed Asner in the role (though I would pay good money to see that) I feel like you really need someone a little more weathered for this.

Oh boy… The clapper board DOES say make up & wardrobe TEST. Lets hope it really is that. Needs a more “wear and tear” / grizzled world-weary look.

Hate to be negative, but that didn’t instill me with confidence.

All he needs is an appropriate amount of gruff. Not even full on beard, but a little stubble and some scars

Throw the right makeup on there, and it’ll work.

On the one hand, it’s batshit bananaboats that these days the public gets to weigh in on something like this.

On the other hand, maybe they read a bunch of discussions like this one where fans say “needs more roughness and scarring and stubble” and they can adjust accordingly.

Well, to be fair, heres a reminder of what the previous actor looked like.

(btw here’s a better pic of Cavill)

It is funny to see all the reactions online with the majority of people comparing this to The Witcher 3 Geralt.

He also doesn’t have a beard in the first two games.

It is indeed. CDPR did mostly a good job, but there are several places in which the games diverge from the original material - Geralt’s beard and Triss’ presentation being the main ones.

You know you dun fucked it up when the first reaction from die hard fan like me is laugh out loud.

Cavill looks like cosplayer in cheap halloween costume. Why even publish this? Makes no sense.

Give him some stubble, some scars, infinitely better hair (ideally his own…) with proper color and shorter lenght and he might be passable.

Yes I know Geralt preferred to be clean shaven in the books. But when you cast an actor with whom it doesn’t work, then you gotta do what you gotta do.

Rest of the cast is very mixed feelings too btw.

I squeeled when I saw Lars Mikkelsen, because he would be PERFECT as Bonhart, just perfect. But no, he is apparently playing a one note wizard character Stregobor from one of the short stories. Such a waste.

Triss, Istredd, Jaskier are WTF.

Cahir looks great. Perfect really.

If they want it to do at least decently well, seems like they need to gravitate more towards the game version of Geralt. More people would be used to that version anyways - throw in the beard and some scars, tear that shit up.

(At work disclaimer - I haven’t had a chance to watch the trailer yet, just saw the pics above.)

He really is too ‘pretty’ to do Geralt without some ‘roughing up’.

Geralt, as a character, needs to be a bit beat up. He can be handsome, sure, but his work leaves marks. It’s one of the great visual characterizations from the game I think, it fits his job well.

A pretty boy model in a Grey wig. If they aren’t at least going to toss in a scar or two because they can’t mess up Cavils perfect face then they aren’t being serious. Looks like a CW show.

yeah, it looks like cosplay. The wig looks like a wig, it’s the main flaw I see it. But you know, a bit of gruff, a bit of scars, a look of someone tired of life… it can be done.

IMG_3941

He looks like a silver legolas to me.

On the brighter side, he probably has feet clean enough to pull off this shot:

I needed a good laugh right when I read this post.

I don’t think it looks that bad though.

I’ve seen a lot of “on the set of XYZ” pictures that look more “fake” than that.

I liked the potion drinking. Nice touch.

So The Witcher is a comedy?

-Tom