Coming to Netflix: The Witcher

Not a fan of Yennefer’s look either (I’m one of those basing it on the games, of course). The girl that plays Dolores on Westworld would have been my pick.

There’s this actor who really resembles CGI Cavill. A tall guy usually appearing in support roles. I can’t remember his name or where he’s been.

Cool story!

Glad you enjoyed it.

The Last Wish short story certainly is!

Not the same guy you’re thinking of I bet, but the guy from Felicity/Scrubs. Scott Foley I guess.

You will be able to commence hating the show for what it is, rather than what it probably will be, this fall.

Why not both?

Seriously, though, pre-hating something makes it that much easier to enjoy if it comes out and, hey, it’s not so bad after all. If it worked for Hellboy, it can work for The Witcher!

Oh, so it’s “fun” now?

-Tom

Geralt’s coming!

You mean like Simon Cowell’s reaction to Susan Boyle? Are you Simon Cowell, Tom?

“Fun” is always the best way to describe something!

Oh no. How is this the Nilfgaard armor?

What’s with the iron wrinkles?

Is it supposed to look organic or something? It look like plastic to me.

WTF? That looks terrible!

Those are photos of the production obtained without permission during filming on location. I’d take what you see with a grain of salt.

Well, Geralts costume was also a bit iffy in the offical pic.

The aesthetic reminds of the 90s action serials (Xena, Sinbad…et al).

I can’t have faith in this series, with details like the armors. It’s like they thought ‘oh this is a fantasy setting with dwarves and gnomes and monsters, let’s put some otherworldly armor to the bad guys.’
While The Witcher charm is in how nitty and gritty is, even with elves and monsters. People die of cholera, there is racism everywhere, Geralt killing a few guys alone by himself is a big feat (because reality isn’t like a videogame 1vs3 in reality is almost impossible to win), AND ARMOR AND WEAPONS ARE REALISTIC/AUTHENTIC.

So, how hard could be to take a plate armor or a chainmail inspiried from real medieval time designs, paint it black, put some gold color on the trims, and call it a day. How hard…

That also makes me raise an eyebrow. Given they said they were going to use the books as source, not the video games, and the books are overall more ‘serious’, and even depressing and tragic.

Or just look at the games, which is where 99% of the people who have any relation to the Witcher will know the story from, and use that as inspiration.

We’ll see, but I expect most fans will be disappointed with this. Unlike ASOIAF, the Witcher books don’t have a huge fanbase outside of Poland, and most viewers won’t be as familiar with the stories as the GOT fandom was. I suspect it will be mostly Geralt fights a monster setpieces, with some quippy lines and a largely unrecognizable story tying the protagonists together.