Coming to Netflix: The Witcher

You should check out the new Mission Impossible movie before it leaves theaters, if you can. It’s a really great theater experience.

Well yeah. That’s the whole acting part, though. The casting here is tricky: Geralt is old mentally and even looks that way facially and with the white hair. But he’s also basically got superhuman strength and agility because…Witcher. I think they decided “Get us the person who can do the body/strength/agility thing, and we’ll let makeup and acting skill worry the rest.”

Cavill is 35 – he’s not a kid, and makeup will surely add a few years. Geralt is, what… 100 or so? How do you cast a centenarian action hero? Ian McKellen on a Red Bull binge? ;)

I like Cavill, mostly because of The Tudors. I’m happy with this casting.

I’d have to watch the previous 3 or 4, or wherever they’re at first! I’m a bit behind in accepting these missions.

I think the bad movies Cavill has been in have had nothing to do with him Man From U.N.C.L.E., Immortals, DC poopy-verse). Whereas he’s been solid to very good in other things (The Tudors, Count of Monte Cristo, Stardust). I think this is a great casting decision from that standpoint.

I think the fact that they just snagged a major star for the lead role also bodes well for the series.

Yeah, it’s going to be tough for this not to at least run 2-3 seasons with Cavill’s involvement now.

Also last week Hissrich posted that they were in the writing draft process of the season 1 finale episode. They may not have all the episodes in the can, and obviously the revision process is lengthy, but now that they’re hiring stars, they’re going to want to start shooting sooner than later.

Yep. This is a potential blockbuster, and primed to come out at a time when it catches the post-GoT wave.

I think a little older would have been better, personally. I don’t have a dream cast but off the top of my head someone like Iain Glen, who plays Jorah on Game of Thrones, would have probably been a pretty good Geralt. I don’t doubt Cavill’s a good actor and he can no doubt pull off the physical stuff, I’m just going to have to be convinced about the whole inner life part. It’s going to be hard to let go of the Geralt I’ve gotten used to over the three games.

Ian Glenn would be great as Vesemir!

The really interesting castings for this are Dandelion and Yenneffer. It would be easy for them to end up a bit one-dimensional, and that needs to not happen.

My big concern is Zoltan. Since he looks more like a traditional fantasy dwarf, they shouldn’t do the Game of Thrones thing and actually cast a little person, but doing a ton of CG or perspective shots in the series might be prohibitive.

Interesting. I was hoping for Anson Mount, but I am perfectly willing to give Cavill a chance. He was pretty charismatic in Fallout, so here is hoping they make him look the part and he can handle it.

I also hope they will not be faithful to the books in one regard and give him some facial hair (Geralt shaves in the books…and my games) because he looks way better with it.

As Yennefer, I have no idea. I wish the actress that voices her could do it because I love that voice and it fits perfectly. Aside from her, Katie McGrath looks good. Just no Eva Green please.

Yeah, I’m having trouble thinking of anyone to play Yennefer. Marion Cotillard, maybe? Though I doubt she would accept that.

Ok, so let’s name some names. Who would be a good fit?

I’m thinking Isla Fisher for Triss. She’s already got the magic part down (I really liked Now You See Me)

I mean she’s got the look.

The comment on Dandelion is spot on. He’s a lech, troublemaker, master of ill advised schemes, and a loyal friend. Bad would be someone channeling recent Johnny Depp. Good would be like Chris Hemsworth in Infinity War. Not sure who I’d pick for that. It needs someone who can hit humor through tone, and not jokes. Be serious without dour.

Yen, hmm. The character that most reminds me, in tone and presence if not action, is Lena Heady’s Cersei. She has the ‘I’m not taking your shit, and you best listen to me’ power, while also having a softer side. Maybe I’m crazy, ok I certainly am, but I think she’s fit. Plus GoT is ending soon, so she will be available ;)

Stick with the Mission Impossible theme and pick Rebecca Ferguson
http://i7.lisimg.com/14005277/280full.jpg

Worth keeping in mind: Cavill is expensive. It’s likely the rest of the cast may be fairly unknown.

Starring Henry Cavill and A Hundred People We Found Walking the Halls at Netflix Headquarters.

All the articles I’m seeing about this indicate Cavill wanted the role badly. He may have been willing to take a bit of a cut.

Netflix has the cash. Question is what they are going to do to the material to broaden the audience. Witcher is much more fantastical than Game of Thrones and even GoT was shy showing special effects for many years. The cast maintain and commit to their unique quirks, while also showing character growth throughout the seasons.

If ever there were a show that would do well with a monster-of-the-week format, this is it.

(joke shamelessly stolen from a co-worker)

This has been in the works for a while all right: