Coming to Netflix: The Witcher

You just play until you get to the Clash of the Soccer Moms when they wage war in their battle bikinis and sharpened spatulas. It’s a sight you won’t soon forget, I’ll tell you what.

I purely bounced off both Witcher 1 and 2 on PC within the first hours as well, because the controls were garbage.

I tried again with Witcher 3 on PS4. It took me a few hours to get use to the controls, but the journey was worth it.

That’s pretty much my experience. Couldn’t stand W1/W2 controls but I love W3.

That article is a good example of nonjournalistic trash that gets peddled these days. It is clear from reading Lauren’s twitter that she is not phased by the reaction and simply takes a break to focus on writing the show. But hey, clicks have to be clicked so let’s stoke the outrage some more, journalism!

Couldn’t agree more. That headline was pure farming for outrage, which is evidently the new cash crop for journos.

Honestly, a black Geralt would be pretty interesting too.

Idris Elba, please.

How exactly, pray tell, would it be “pretty interesting”?
The only thing interesting about it I can imagine is the amount of pissed off slavs that would ignore the show as a result.

I would like to see Idris in Witcher - as some interesting, well written, brand new character written for him.

Oh man, a black Geralt would be the shit. You could power cities from the geek rage.

He already did.

Because one of Geralt’s main functions in Redanian society, from a strictly narrative standpoint, is to highlight how normal average people are, pretty often, completely shitty racists, and having him portrayed by an actor who is a racial minority is a wonderful screen shorthand that would really hang a lampshade on that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I disagree that it would make it more interesting. It would make it more obvious, but I think it is narratively more interesting if Geralt is the same skin color, semi-handsome looking bastard, and still gets treated as shit by racists due to his profession (that he didn’t get to choose himself) and underwent mutation. Like in the books.

Agreed. And that interaction ties into and reinforces the narrative’s emphasis on the character and his profession rather than skin color.

I’m all for diversity. The one thing I’m truly intolerant at this point in my life is intolerance itself. But some of the stuff I see and read these days feels a bit too forced, diversity for the sake of diversity. A female Thor, a black Superman, etc. There’s nothing inherently wrong with either idea, but why turn Superman black, a character who is rooted very much in the values of white rural Americans, rather than creating a new hero?

I liked GRRM’s response when asked why he made some characters gay. “Because there are gay people in the world.”

To understand the answer to that question, you have to figure out why minorities want representation on the screen.

Gosh, please illuminate me. That concept is just so foreign to my mind, I need help grasping it.

Aww, it’s an 8 episode season, I guess I missed that information somehow. This is one TV series where I would love to even have filler episodes!

(The folks handling the casting of the show.)

Looks like the roles of Yennefer and Ciri have been filled:

Freya Allan looks like a fantastic pick for Ciri. It’s just like I imagined her from reading the books. Well, if she had ashen hair, that is.

Anya Chalotra as Yennefer… with her current hairstyle, she doesn’t look like the Yennefer I imagined. But I guess her audition must have been good enough to make up for that (and, really, the most important thing about Yennefer is her attitude/behavior), so I’ll wait and see.