Command and Conquer (and Red Alert!) Remastered

Or two. (campaigns may come if someone gets back to it)

I was hoping that they would also remaster Red Alert 2 and Yuri’s Revenge. But who knows maybe they will remaster it after they are done with the 1st part.

New trailer, full deal coming out June 5. This actually looks pretty good.

I did not expect this game to come on Steam. This made me happy.

Well this makes Warcraft 3 Reforged look even worse.

I’m sure I want to get this, but not sure 20 (?) years of aging will have made me able to play this at normal speed :-\

Extremely excited to get this. Will get some beer and relive my student days. Heck with Black Mesa, remastered Starcraft and now this, my nostalgia meter is at max.

So glad we get both C&C and Red Alert. Ref Alert was more atmospheric and my favourite however. Good times.

Hell yeah! Between the originals & the 2 packages released I think I own these 3 times. But in for a fourth!

I had only started gaming a year or so before C&C came out; I had played (and loved) Dune 2. I remember we went to the PC game store the day it came out…I can still remember the owner loading the first GDI mission and the music booming out over his excellent sound system…25 years ago & I still remember it clearly.

If only they remade Warcraft 3 but alas they’re never going to try that one oh well

It really is amazing to contrast this and Age 2 DE against WC3 Reforged.

Cool. I probably put more hours into Red Alert than I could possibly remember. Like how I convinced my sister play it, under my tutelage, which is kind of a rare feat. To my surprise she progressed all the way to the same mission I was currently stuck on.

I do not know where or when we switched over to the universe where EA looks likely to outdo Blizzard at remastering a beloved game from a classic franchise, but as a fan of the original C&C and Red Alert me likey.

Wow C&C looks dated. I mean i feel like you can make the case the Age of Empires 2 DE looks “modern” or at least contemporary. C&C, even ‘remastered’, really does otoh look like something from the 90s.

I see what you are saying, but I do disagree with the sentiment - what I see here is a very clean look to the units and buildings while being very high fidelity. It should make the gameplay as easy (or easier) to follow even in the busiest of skirmishes without being muddied by lots of vastly different/fancy looking assets and effects. Some of it, too, is the nostalgia factor - they seemed to have been very respectful of the art decisions made years and years ago.

I haven’t played C&C since it first launched, back when I was in college, but boy did I love it. Red Alert was also my favorite world so I’m more excited about that, but I never played the campaign much of either and for only $20 and you get both games and all DLC? Man, that really does put the recent Warcraft 3 Reforged to shame.

I mean it’s not the clarity but the … utterly dated game underneath. Although Age2 DE has very pleasing terrain and building graphics and so it helps hide the somewhat old fashioned gameplay elements. Just those images of power plants and construction yards. Yikes. C&C looks ooolllddd.

I still say Act or Aggression is the best C&C style game of recent years.Really great looking urban combat, cheesy cut scenes, basically it’s NOD vs GDI vs stupid Americans. But it just looks and sounds fantastic.

Oh for sure, you aren’t wrong there - the old RTS model of building up and expanding to resource nodes to also then build up and all the while field as many units as possible and counter attacks while staging your own on your opponents base is very old school. And honestly, in a world where I can play Total War: Warhammer 2 (or other games that let me build units on a strategy map to then deploy them in a combat arena) this looks less attractive.

But sometimes a game like this is a lot of fun, and for a twenty, I’m in. Plus, as mentioned, the nostalgia is strong here. I may not play much of the campaigns, or do more than skirmish with the AI for a week or maybe a few weekends, but it will be well worth $20 to putz around with it.

Command & Conquer, like other RTS games of the era, should be played more as an action game than a strategy game. It’s about executing builds and combat as fast as you can. Your strategy should be formed even before you start the game and then altered as events unfold.

You’ll notice I didn’t mention W3 in that list for a reason. ;-)

The nostalgia value is very high for me. Sure the mechanics are dated, this is clear. But I am cautiously optimistic they have done a good job on the remaster which justifies me dropping 20 euros on this. Of course it could be a W3 debacle but from what they have shown so far it appears that won’t be the case. They seem to be really trying to give everything an authentic but shiny new coat of paint. As for dated mechanics, when I come home from work with my mind blown, dipping into something fundamentally simple with huge nostalgia value is a no brainer. During the week a TW Warhammer game is just too exhausting to even boot up. I wait for weekends for that ;) So give me cheese and Tesla coils and let me just blow shit up!!

One of the things I liked about the original C&C was the build pacing. It was slower than Red Alert, and I liked that. I felt like Red Alert was all about the rush. C&C was too, really, but it was still a slower buildup to get to the rush. I wonder if they have kept that same pacing?