Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations ("The Harpoon that Never Was")

Command LIVE #7 released: Black Gold Blitz!
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/713/details/Command.Live.Black.Gold.Blitz

[/url]

I may just grab this at the ridiculous low price, but how noob friendly is it? Is there a decent tutorial of some sort? I’m afraid I would just install it, stare at it for a few hours, and uninstall it, like I do Grigsby’s games,

You’re looking at two significant learning curves in CMANO, actually.

The first, of course, is how to play the game. How to move the little specks over other little specs. Managing the UI. The knobs and switches. It’s not too bad after a while, and there’s a wealth of content out there to teach you how to do that. The presentation is far less opaque that your usual Grigsby “masterpiece” (Steel Panthers not included).

The second curve is the real fucker. It’s the part where you’ve gotten the button and switches down, but then you actually have to make sound tactical decisions. You just can’t rope your units, ctrl-A them, and then throw them at the enemy. Well, that’s what you’ll do at first, and you’ll wonder why your F-22s are being owned by MiG-21s and crap SAMs. At this point, you have two choices: go down the rabbit hole of modern warfare, or call bollox on the whole thing and just play Red Dragon. Either is fine.

If you cut your teeth on Microprose and Jane’s sims back in the golden era of PC gaming you’ll do fine with Scharmers’ second curve. The first curve? You’re just going to have to buckle down to learn the basics but I found it far less intimidating to come to grips with than either Europa Universalis IV and Crusader Kings II. Much like the aforementioned Paradox titles, CMNAO is very much a deserted isle kind of game that has endless replayability for when your flesh light crumbles apart from years corrosive salty air.

Limited one-week sale on Fanatical (ex-Bundle Stars)!
https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/command-modern-air-naval-operations-woty

Limited-time sale on Humble Bundle

CMANO 65% off

Northern Inferno 50% off

Chains Of War 25% off

Hmmm. But none of the CMANO DLCs.

A question:

I know that developers who don’t contribute, but only pop by to pimp their games are looked down on in these parts, yet this guy seems to get a pass. I’ve never seen him post anything that wasn’t promoting a sale or some new DLC.

What makes him special? He does the same in other game forums as well.

My guess? His product is super duper niche and needs all the visibility it can get.

Let’s see:

1. If you browse this here thread in its entirety, you will see that I have posted multiple times to answer questions, take suggestions or help people with issues. If, as you claim, you have observed my posts in other forums than you know I am doing the same there. So the “only pop by to pimp my game” part is simply false.

2. I am a small developer, posting news about my niche game, on a thread that is dedicated to this game to begin with. How else will I reach you? I can’t purchase full-spread ads on PC-Gamer, and I don’t have the PR budget to do the big-boy standard fare like bombarding mainstream gaming sites with thinly-veiled ad pieces (and when I do send them news, they mostly ignore them because mainstream-title news are better click-magnets). BrianRubin is spot on.

“Well then post your updates but contribute more to the forum!”, I hear you say. Not to put too fine a point in it but, I don’t have the time. I am pouring my heart and soul into the game, I support it “officially” on the MG and Steam forums, and unofficially here and in many other places. Oh and I have a family to take care of. Would I like to stick around and chew the fat? Sure. But that time and energy would have to come from somewhere else. Which feature of the game would you like me to remove so that I can have the extra time to be a better forum citizen here?

That said, I am nothing if not accommodating. So let’s have a show of hands here. If the majority signals that they do not approve of the way I am providing news for Command, I’ll respect the will of the residents and abstain from further annoying you. I am sure that the EAs of this world, who are not affected at the slightest from your vigilant forum-watch, will appreciate you for it.

Cheers.

Don’t make this guy angry. He has weapons, innit.

And databases to go with them!

This thread has been going on long enough that Tom is evidently happy to have Dimitris set up his Harpoon game right in the middle of the rug in his living room. This thread has also served as a good place on Qt3 for CMANO discussion.

But dang, D, ease back on those triggers a little, would you? It was a fair question.

still, for my two cents, i would feel honored to keep you as an active member @Dimitris 🤗

That’s because you’re one of those filthy neckbeardy grogs

/scratches beard

I like the cut of your jib. I hope you’ll stick around.

While I don’t care for the promotion news (maybe because I bought the game!), I love the development updates about the engine.

I want you to stick around on one condition @Dimitris: I want more info on that Tacview screenshot you teased a few months ago! Okay, that’s not actually a condition of my support, but I’m really interested!

This! I want to see replays of alpha strikes pounding North Vietnam, B52’s threading the needle at tree top height over the Kola Peninsula, and SSGN’s unleashing Tomahawk fury on furries.

Name your price, dawg.

Oh God yes. Just make sure the shades are pulled first.