Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations ("The Harpoon that Never Was")

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

[/url]

How is this coming along? :)

Looking forward to the new DLC.

Working with the creators of the Space Engine for a new map engine.

:)

When can I buy it, dammit?

Chains Of War will be released on May 18th.

Maaaannn, I want it nooowwww. Might I ask if you have a price yet?

How goes the revamped mission planner? Will iyou take into consideration taxi to runway time for time on target planning? Will it include a pony?

I held off buying this due to all the complaints (and screenshots) I saw running the game at high resolutions where the text looked poor and in some parts of the screen hard to read at times. a lot of interface issues if you were not running at the game’s preferred native resolution.

So does text all look crisp and clear now, and is easily readable at very very high resolutions? The interface issues with the window boxes of data. Has the interface been overhauled to make managing the game better and the screen use easier on the eyes?

I didn’t spend a lot of time on the game yet (merely 7 hours, says the Steam spy), but I would say it might depend on your setup. To me, this game looks like it would work very well on multiple monitors, specifically with one dedicated the map, one for the ship info and other windows, and one for the message log, although I am unsure if that’d be possible to be honest.
On my 1366x768 laptop, the screen gets busy, and the interface is not very practical, as it requires you to know which part of the main window is focused or not (depending on the part focused, you might zoom the map, or just scroll some list item). Also, as a new player, having to keep track of whether you are still plotting a trajectory or not (a F-key bound toggle, whose status you can tell only by the shape of the cursor on the map, as far as I can tell) proves quite bothering. That being said, the message log is very readable on my setup (again, I have a somewhat low resolution, by today’s standards), although it covers almost half of my map window.
All in all, if you have strict interface vows, the game probably will yield a frustrating experience?

If you refer to 4K/UHD issues, during the v1.12 RC we introduced a much better solution for high-DPI setups and the feedback we have been getting is very positive. This improvement will be part of the official v1.12/CoW release.

With Steam refunds I would say that your “purchase risk” is now zero. Buy, try, and depending on your satisfaction get a refund or continue using.

To be fair, I’d say 1366x768 is rather the absolute minimum “real estate” for many of the game’s UI elements.

Sorry, can’t say.

I can, however, point out to Northern Inferno, which is similar in structure (standalone DLC).

Fabulous. The mil/gov guys who have seen it are breathless.

That was a long time ago. Now we’re also factoring bathroom breaks.

Sorry, unicorns only.

How about the ‘significantly improved map engine’? Since you skipped replying to that comment I can guess it’s not coming along so well - if it all? My dreams of a smooth-scrolling Google Earth type map are dead!? :(

Au contraire :) But that’s all I can say on that right now. Sorry!

Aww… not even a little taste? It’s been over a year since the last teaser here about it! :)

Since nothing’s mentioned on the CoW Matrix page and the RC videos maps look similar to what we have now, it doesn’t seem like a sneaky map engine is coming in 1.12 … unless it’s really sneaky.

I bought this when it came out, and Northern Inferno as well. Then…I, um, didn’t really play it. I appreciate it, but I can’t really find the concentration and commitment to buckle down and learn it. Ah, to be my twenty-something (well, late twenty-something or early thirties, given they didn’t have games like even Harpoon until then) self.

But I do plan to, um, do it, yeah, sure, eventually!

It makes you wish for a “easy” mode which would replicate classic Harpoon.

The game would be a lot more accessible for people.

I don’t. I don’t want, or expect, accessiblity in a hard-core naval wargame. Not to be Bobby Grognard, or anything, but somethings are worth playing because of the learning curve and the difficulty in mastering a complex system.

That being said, a Jane’s Fleet Command 2017 would tickle all my pleasure centers, too.