Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations ("The Harpoon that Never Was")

Yup, Nothing like a little BFM to get those cricks out of your neck lol. Good thing we get to choose as gamers/simmers. We can fire up a 1974 scenario with only guns and rear aspect heaters and turn&burn till the cows come home :D

Command: The Silent Service is out! - http://www.matrixgames.com/products/product.asp?gid=725

So here I am takin another stab at the learning cliff after reading some kickass AAR posts. I’m doing the strike turotials, but somehow I have buggered up the message log window. It does not pop out anymore. Just disappears. halp?

Try to reset the position of secondary windows (Game Options). If that fails, delete the file [CMANO]\Config\Command.ini and restart the game.

Which kickass posts are you reading? Want to go full immersion on CMANO for a while.

This motherlover has been knocking 'em out of the park for years. It’s a slow burn, but they read like Good old Clancy.

@Dimitris : thanks mang, that sorted me nicely (how did I miss that button? Am I going senile in my old age?!)

Thank you sir!

Looks good. I have all the expansions just haven’t been able to sink enough time into it.

That changes this holiday weekend.

MBot is also currently putting out AARs of Northern Inferno in this here forum: http://forums.mudspike.com/t/cmano-northern-inferno-aar/5723

And a few entertaining AARs of NI and CoW elsewhere:

yummy thanks man! I manage to bomb the everloving daylights out of the strike tutorials. only finex left on that. i also ran the submari e tutorials. easy until that finex (ssk vs ffg) where I got sunk like overhead on a building project.

sir torpedo in the water! where? oh only 15 miles out, fuck it.

boom! gurgle.

fuckin sonar boys deserved their fate.

no way in hell do i see myself pitting two CVBGs vs the northern red banner fleet and air arm. yet.

I played those recently. They’re really well done, how they first teach the basics then dive a bit deeper on how to use each of the various systems, and finally give you a situation where it all gets put together.

Finally broke down and grabbed this tonight. Completed the surface tutorial. Only thing that tripped me up at all was getting the evolved sea sparrows authorized to fire in sarh mode at the missile corvette. It is was pretty easy to get the seahawk up and chasing down the romeo, and smacking the land targets with the deck gun and tomahawks.

I’d recommend avoiding the “Basic Air-Ops” tutorial altogether (we are currently rebuilding to make it more newbie-friendly) and going straight to the “Strike Tutorial” campaign.

I will do that. In that surface tutorial do they really want suggest engaging the nanuchka with the hellfire armed Seahawk? Seems rather dangerous for the Seahawk. My idea was to just get a Seahawk up to paint it, and then engage with the essm on the Raleigh burke.

That will probably not work, because the ESSM uses radar semi-active illumination, while the Seahawk is only able to provide laser illumination (the Seahawk’s search radar does not support SARH illumination).

Don’t forget to check the new submarine tutorials; 1.1-1.4 are already bundled with the current version and another four are available here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4459109 …and will be included on the next public update.

@Dimitris does the community pack require anything else to be installed? When I install pack 39, I’m no longer able to run Command. Doesn’t look like it gets far enough to stick something in the Logs directory.

If it is through Steam, I never installed it through the workshop (because they archive all versions, which means if you want to update you need to juggle your subscription if I understand it right, and Steam’s interface for that is quite lame), but you can get a stand-alone version from this site, which should work on its own.

@Left_Empty any idea what the difference is between db3000 and cwdb for the database image files?

I think the CWDB database only goes up to a certain point in time, while the DB3000 try to cover speculative things? I think you should have both installed, as the images and descriptions it will display will depend on which one the scenario you play relies on.

Okay. Wasn’t sure if it was something where it depended you having a certain database installed. IIRC the Harpoon folks had a couple different database projects, so I was thinking of that.

Using the download of the community pack worked like a charm. Thanks.