Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations ("The Harpoon that Never Was")

Last night played Northern Inferno in CMO. My ships were annihilated by a rain of SS-N-3 Shaddocks. Tonight I will get my revenge!

Getting close to finishing up the tutorials, and looking to see where I want to dip my toes next.

Any of the DLC that are particularly great? Been contemplating grabbing one of those also to go through.

That feeling when you go to look in your email to see if you’ve received an anniversary coupon from Matrix recently, only to see it apparently arrived in August and expired in September. Bye, bye 47% coupon. I think I bought CMANO through Steam so I wouldn’t be able to use it for this anyways. I could pick up all of the Armored Brigade bits though. :/

Even if you bought CMANO on Matrix I think you can only enter one code, so it wouldn’t stack with the 50% discount anyway.

@TheWombat You will quite probably hear/read from some people that “it’s just a reskin”, “there is not much new things”, “the only new thing is the 3D view and you have to pay extra for it”, etc. etc.

Want to know what all these know-it-alls have in common?

None of them bothered to read our extensive dev diaries on the changes & improvements:

If someone reads these and then decides CMO is not for him, fine, I respect that.

But merely looking at the screenshots, seeing improved maps and different-color UI, and insta-declaring “reskin” ? That’s just lazy.

@Profanicus Fifteen new scenarios IIRC. CMANO launched with 42 standalone scenarios, CMO has 57.

I boughted.

I was hoping CMO would have done something to streamline the fiddly mission editor (which is like 50% of the game). A few things would make it much easier.

1. A dedicated button on the menu bar for setting waypoints/defining areas;
  2. Another button on the menu bar with a list of “favourite” waypoints that multiple missions can be assigned to, and let you switch between them easily; and
  3. Auto-suggest mission names based on type of mission;

Fair enough! I’m going to buy it anyhow, for half off, but I just wanted to get a variety of opinions. Mostly I was curious about the different viewpoints. Your posts here and other stuff like you link are pretty clear about the changes.

Dang, that’s a shame indeed. Waypoints management and setting them up for missions felt like sending data to another application and was quite my least favourite part of the first game.

IMHO even the cosmetic changes are major improvements, in particular the way information is displayed to the player. I would not like to go back to CMANO.

I did pick this up. I was not impressed by the first tutorial, though. I decided to try tutorials to get back into it, and fired up the first, which has you launch an F-16 from Ramat David. Well, the pop-up messages came on schedule, but the tutorial “ended” with a declared win more than two hours (game time) before the F-16 I was supposed to launch actually, um, launched. I was following the instructions but for whatever reason the messages seemed to be on their own timer and totally unconnected to anything I did. Oops.

One of the new scenarios “Dawn Strike” is a nice, low complexity scenario with a 1950s airstrike against North Korea flying Corsairs off the USS Valley Forge. Definitely has me hankering for some of the WW2 content they have said is coming for CMO.

I’m probably going to have to put up a second screen for this thing now that I’ve gotten in to it again. CMANO/CMO demands screen space like a room full of chonkers demands snacks.

Also to add to the “two weeks” pantheon:
#284. When will CMO have a coordinated strike wizard?

The RP mechanic is easily the clumsiest thing in CMO. Nothing like having a bazillion RPs all over the place. I mean, I do pretty much clean up non-staging area RPs (RPs set up for AEW patrols, etc), but still. There should also be an on-screen list of defined missions. Actually, you know what, the sim should be handed over to a modern UI and taskflow expert for a couple of months.

I’m also sad the DBs are broken up into two, so I can’t set up a 4 F-22 vs. 27 MiG-17 scenario. Or can I?

@scharmers Easy. There are two MiG-17 entries in the DB3000 ( Angolan MiG-17F and Somalian MiG-17PF), so you can set them up against F-22s.

Spitfires are a bit tougher.

Word up. I was never fond of setting up waypoints in CMANO and I was hoping it would be less sucky in CMO, but that’s not the case.

I’m also sad the DBs are broken up into two, so I can’t set up a 4 F-22 vs. 27 MiG-17 scenario. Or can I?

I took a quick gander at the DB3000 database and there are bunch of ancient throw-away MiGs you can match up against Raptors. You can still get your stealing candy from a baby fix by inserting A-model F-14s and F-15s into early Cold War scenarios. I love doing that in the 1967 Downtown scenario.

Ah, The Final Countdown scenarios

This… fuckin… movie

(CVN-68 Veteran)

Holy shit, in one of those shots the kitty seems almost out of control and barely staying out of the drink!

Crazy! I’d never heard of this movie before. Wikipedia says that scene involved some close calls while filming, including the sequence you mentioned, @schurem.