Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations ("The Harpoon that Never Was")

Consider yourself sneered at by me too. A message board doesn’t demand any such thing, that’s ridiculous. Who the hell are you to tell a poster how much effort they should put into this forum? If they aren’t breaking any rules, let them have at it. This busy-bodiedness is silly.

Well my apologies then, I’m clearly in the minority and if Dimitris just wants to drive by every so often I suppose that’s fine.

That was me, except I didn’t sneer and I didn’t say having community wasn’t a good part of QT3, I said that not every single poster has to be part of the community, however you are defining it. A couple drive-by posts a year are fine, it’s not deleterious to the rest of the board in any way.

I agree. Not every post has to come from an active and well known member of the community. How else can we ever grow. But I think this here is also now the right and proper place to celebrate being a community. I <3 you @BrianRubin and @scharmers, even when I at times disagree with y’all.

@Dimitris, I just ran across the game, oddly enough, on a Tacview link. I am intrigued, though fearful I will fall back into my Harpoon hole of so many years back.

Please do continue to let us know when there are updates, sales, etc. I appreciate what Brian and Scharmers are saying, but I also appreciate you keeping Qt3 informed on developments with the game.

I’m anxious to try the game, though a little concerned about recent reviews that mention it hanging, etc. I’ll likely pick it up as soon as I get through the current “frontlog” of games I’m playing. But wouldn’t want to miss a sale, cool module, etc. in the meantime.

Yeah don’t listen to me I’m an asshole.

No, you’re a valued member of the community. Who’s just wrong this time. :)

Okay.

As an example of things in the pipeline:

A more detailed bathymetric map or an ice age DLC? :P

The former. This makes it easier to exploit different depths for sub/ASW, mine warfare and even amphib ops.

CMO is 30% off on Steam for a week: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1076160/Command_Modern_Operations/

A couple things that may be of interest:

nice on both the fix and the sale. Everybody who wants to know what makes a Kirov cruiser dangerous, why a F-35 is any good or how an 80s CVBG shoot-out would play out owes it to themselves to own this.

It does have a bit of a learning cliff to get started, but once you find your feet, not that hard at all. I mean, not in dealing with the program. Dealing with the tactical problems and information overload, that’s another thing ;-)

We have a couple major releases tomorrow:

1. Command: Kashmir Fire, our first “campaign” DLC release since Desert Storm two years back: Command: Kashmir Fire - Game DLC - Matrix Games
    Scenarios list: The scenarios of Kashmir Fire : Warfare Sims
  1. The v1.03 update, a free engine upgrade for CMO: Companion to Kashmir Fire: The v1.03 Command update : Warfare Sims

Very nice! :)

Is the Steam release tomorrow as well? What is the price?

Yes, it is launching on both Steam and MG.

The price is always announced on release. Sorry :)

Excellent! Look forward to those engine improvements as well.

Bought the DLC; look like mega scenarios.

I have to admit I owned this game for a while but struggled to get into it. One of those games where you love the idea of it but after a hard workday you stare at a screen full of contacts and feel lost at what to do next. However, the last few weeks I have really gotten addicted to this game and sunk in quite a few hours thanks to the tutorials by the rather mysteriously named “P. Gascomb”. In addition to the depth of the game in terms of tactics and management, the cool thing is you start to learn things about the capabilities of platforms - which is kind of a satisfying side effect of learning and playing the game. If you have always had an interest in military hardware this game will give you a more intimate view of stuff you thought you knew, and you start to figure out the strengths and weaknesses of platforms and how to counter them in combat (or which ones to avoid entirely LOL).

I admit I still often feel overwhelmed when starting scenarios but I’ve learned to put my ego aside and replay them multiple times to learn stuff and see what works. And there are a bazillion of them in the workshop covering all sorts of timeframes, theatres and combatants.

If you’re like me and in love with the idea but a little too daunted to get into it check out those tutorials.

I wish there was something as comprehensive, in terms of platforms, as CMANO, but mechanically more on the level of something like AH’s Fifth Fleet. I’ve long outlived my interest in things like the precise convergence circles range of the FUBAR-69 sonar

IIRC you can play CMO like a lazy four-star: just tell em you want warheads on foreheads, here, here and here and let the AI underlings sort the rest. Of course if you want the situation not to devolve into the SNAFU you can expect, and micromanage all of it like the little Jellicoe you are, that’s when the sim begins to shine.