Company of Heroes Expansion

(Via Troy’s blog) According to Jeff we’ll soon know the identity of the latest Company of Heroes content.

Fingers crossed for Eastern Front. :)

Campaign from the German side!

Can it be anything besides the Red Army? I’ve known that since I played the multiplayer beta.

Dang, it’s about time Relic got around to telling us what they’re doing! Unfortunately, it sounds like it’s East Front or North Africa:

I can’t imagine where else we’d “get to kill more Nazis”. Crete? The French Resistance? Ha ha.

Now the East Front or North Africa sounded just peachy to me until I had a conversation with Sharpe. He said he was holding out hope for a Pacific Theater expansion: the US Marines and Imperial Japanese Army, with some limited amphibious and naval features, mostly in the form of Ring powers. How frickin’ cool would that be?

But it would probably be too ambitious for a mere expansion pack. Although Relic was pretty ambitious with the Dark Crusade expansion for Dawn of War.

-Tom

IMO a great deal of the engine would have to be changed to properly simulate Pacific warfare. Air and Naval combat was THE focus in the Pacific. In Europe ships didn’t play a large role and while airpower was important, it wasn’t nearly as significant as what happened on land. CoH represents tactical land warfare well but would need significant changes to work in the Pacific.

Jon, quit dashing cold water on my hopes and dreams!

It seems like you could fudge air and sea power with the Ring* powers. LST reinforcements, battleship bombardments, subs cutting off supplies, air strikes, and so on. Furthermore, you still get Americans in the mix, which is something Relic doesn’t get if they do the East Front. It’s a great game, to be sure, but you can’t discount the problems with pushing an expansion in North America that doesn’t have Americans.

I think the biggest obstacle for the Pacific Theater is that it would require all new assets for the maps and soldiers. Basically, an entirely rebuilt game. But, boy, could they make it look great.

-Tom
  • I think BFME2 has the best implementation of this gimmick, improving on what I believe was introduced in Age of Mythology. Hence, “Ring” powers instead of “god” powers, or whatever they’re actually called in Company of Heroes.

The greatest strength of CoH is the tactical, squad-based strategy. By increasing the importance of off-map “powers” you detract from that unique element. What happens when you try to shove the square peg of Pacific warfare into the circular hole of CoH gameplay?

The cool part of the European theater (and CoH) is sending a bunch of tanks forward, blasting things with your 88 or sending a group of infantry in behind cover to try and kill that blasted MG Team. The focus of the Pacific was Midway, Coral Sea, the Marianas. That’s the “cool” part. Sending thousands of men to their deaths on the beaches of Iwo Jima isn’t terribly glamorous or interesting. ;) I get the feeling that the a Pacific-version of CoH would be less fun for that reason alone, everything else aside.

Here’s to hoping that Relic will incorporate a strategic map ala Dark Crusade where my choices of engagement will give the single player portion of the game a more dynamic feel. Oh and an Axis campaign would be appreciated as well. Learning the nuances of the German play style via skirmishes was a bit bland and initially a little daunting. Wow the possibilities of this expansion pack are extremely exciting.

Hordes of Russian conscripts charging German MGs? How can it not be the Eastern Front? Hell, they’ve even practised having an execute function over in Dark Crusade/Winter Assault.

You’ve apparently misunderstood me. I never suggested increasing the importance of off-map powers, which are plenty powerful as is. I suggested that they could bring in some Pacific Theater flavor with the off-map powers.

That’s like judging the European Theater of WWII by saying “sending thousands of me to their deaths on the beaches of Normandy isn’t terribly glamorous or interesting”.

There were plenty of tactically exciting opportunities for land battles in the Pacific Theater. If you don’t believe me, I could direct you to a few games (computer and otherwise) that have demonstrated just that. :)

Anyway, I’m just throwing out an interesting idea, not submitting a proposal. We all know there’s going to be an East Front or North Africa expansion.

-Tom

P.S. Actually, considering what Relic initially did with Dawn of War, the expansion might not even add a new theater. It might just be a new Doctrine for each side, and a German campaign.

I’d really like to see this more often. But have there been other RTS games besides Codename Panzers (or FPS WWII games for that matter) that let you play fully-fledged German campaigns?

It might just be a new Doctrine for each side, and a German campaign.

I hope not- I think that the East Front offers the best combination of units, doctrines, eye candy and voice acting funniness that you could hope for. Man, the Russian sniper better be called Ivan just for consistencies sake.

My money is on East Front. CoH is a close quaters tactics fest so the Streets of Stalingrad and Berlin would make for some cool backdrops. Hell even at Kursk you had the II SS Panzer Korps mythically fighting the Russian 5th Guards Tank Army at Prokhorovka at point blank range…T-34’s ramming Tigers. I agree with Tom though, a Pacific theater expansion or stand alone game would be sweet. There is just as much fitting material there if not more perhaps…Guadalcanal, Peliliu, Tarawa, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, the list could go on and on. Plus you could give the Japanese interconnected tunnels and maybe a banzai ring power that made the fanatic moral boost ring power from CoH look like a high school cheer leader.

My point is just that it’ll be much harder to incorporate Pacific “flavor” without a well-done naval and air model, which obviously isn’t coming to CoH any time soon.

That’s like judging the European Theater of WWII by saying “sending thousands of me to their deaths on the beaches of Normandy isn’t terribly glamorous or interesting”.
I never liked Normandy anyways. ;)

There were plenty of tactically exciting opportunities for land battles in the Pacific Theater. If you don’t believe me, I could direct you to a few games (computer and otherwise) that have demonstrated just that. :)
That’s true, I simply feel that the allure of a land-based Pacific campaign isn’t as great as a naval one for most people as a naval one. Since a true naval campaign isn’t possible people are more likely to prefer some other land-based front in WWII. Personal preference playing a role of course. Ahhh, I remember when Pacific General first came out…

Anyway, I’m just throwing out an interesting idea, not submitting a proposal. We all know there’s going to be an East Front or North Africa expansion.
Haha, I’m still worried it’ll be something like Market Garden. The huge # of WWII games from the American/British perspective has given me a bias against them…

P.S. Actually, considering what Relic initially did with Dawn of War, the expansion might not even add a new theater. It might just be a new Doctrine for each side, and a German campaign.
The big problem is that CoH hasn’t sold very well at all. I doubt THQ would be anxious to drop a lot of money on an expansion for a game that hasn’t been a financial success. It hasn’t really been a long time since the original game came out either.

Anyways, I hope to be pleasantly surprised. :)

It hasn’t sold well? Anyone have any numbers?

According to one source I spoke with, the sell-through has been about 170K copies (this was about three weeks ago.)

Wow, I had assumed much larger numbers… and it keeps getting thrown around as an example… well not to derail the thread… but when the kids talked about proof of how no copy protection was the future and CoH was an example of a big selling game with no copy protection… well i just figured… you know, it sold more, especially considering how popular it is… that sucks. I really like it… and really not meaning to derail this thread so feel free to start a new thread or pm me if you want to yell at me.

Chet

CoH is near the tail-end of a massive glut of American-perspective WWII games. Before I saw some people at my office playing it I assumed it was just another FPS, and had no interest in it. After seeing some games I could see that it was something special and picked it up. But not many people have. Shame too, it’s really a great game. But it seems the market has been tapped-out.

It hasn’t sold well? Anyone have any numbers?

In Germany, which used to be a good market for such games, CoH sold less than 40,000 copies in 2006 - and yes, that’s all editions combined. Of course, RTS games didn’t do well in general over here during that time (I should know…) and people went gaga for Gothic III and Anno 1701 instead.

But have there been other RTS games besides Codename Panzers (or FPS WWII games for that matter) that let you play fully-fledged German campaigns?

I’m pretty sure that some of the approximately one billion titles based on the Blitzkrieg engine do feature a German campaign.

-Julian

Close Combat II.