Company of Heroes / Opposing Fronts patch madness

I tinkered with CoH a bit awhile back, but now I’m looking at doing a fresh install on a new machine. The patches I’ve been able to locate on the official site are;

1.0 to 1.4
1.4 to 1.5
1.5 to 1.51
1.51 to 1.6
1.6 to 1.61
1.61 to 1.7
1.7 to 1.71

2.102 to 2.103

As a lot of these are slightly huge, are they incremental or can I just get the last one? Also, what’s with the jump from 1.71 to 2.102? I assume that’s something to do with Opposing Fronts? So if I install vanilla CoH, then Opposing Fronts will I just need to put the 2.103 patch on and call it done?

You won’t need the 1.x versions, as Opposing Fronts installs those. You will, however, need a great deal more patches than you have listed. Sadly, Relic Online’s patching has… issues, and they don’t support incremental patching.

To clarify, there’s a 1.4-1.7 patch, which saves you a little bit of work. If you have the expansion, skip installing vanilla CoH and install CoH:OF directly, since it starts at 2.100 and you don’t have to deal with the 1.7-2.101 mega-patch.

By the way, the current version is 2.3, and you have to install all of the intervening patches. I recommend doing it manually and not relying on the auto-patcher.

• Alan

I’ve been dealing with this myself, having gotten patched to 1.71, but every time I go to download the 2.101 megapatch it gets cut off. I really need to find a torrent of that patch.

ok so I have the expansion and can just start the install straight from that without installing vanilla CoH first, that’s surprising but do-able. Beyond that I think I want patches;

and finally

Whoever came up with the patching scheme for this game needs to be soundly beaten about the head and neck area.

EDIT:

Ah wait…

Opposing Fronts v2.2.0.2 to v2.300 patch
Opposing Fronts v2.2.0.1 to v2.2.0.2 patch
Opposing Fronts v2.1.0.3 to v2.2.0.1 patch
Opposing Fronts v2.1.0.2 patch to v2.1.0.3 patch
Opposing Fronts v2.1.0.1 to v2.1.0.2 patch
Opposing Fronts v2.1.0.0 to v2.1.0.1 patch

So far the only opposing front is in getting the damn game current.

I know people have bitched about the Steam patching system… so specifically, what will happen if I buy the CoH/OF bundle? Will I get the lowest version number and then wait 8 years for the updates?

Bumping this to see if anyone knows how to get around a specific patching problem.

Just installed Opposing Fronts and have begun the long manual patching process. But I get an error saying that either the patch is corrupt or the WW2art.sga file is the wrong version, which it shouldn’t be since the disk is virgin. The auto-patcher doesn’t work, of course. This was a clean install with no remaining CoH folders or files and a clean registry.

Anyone else encounter this or just me? (Yeah, I’m looking at the official forums, too, but you guys are faster.)

Troy

I couldn’t get ANY retail version of the game to patch correctly. I ended up buying it on steam to have steam manage it. The problem is that steam downloads the entire game every time there’s a patch, so if you go that route, plan on being out of comission on patch days.

I don’t play multiplayer. Can I just say “fuck it” and play the original Company of Heroes game single-player? Or is there some minimal patch level that improves stability / graphics / single-player gameplay that I should patch up to?

In a world where Steam and Stardock set the standard for autopatching, this Relic patch horseshit is really inexcusable. How fucking hard is it to create a diff between any two builds of their game, and create delta patches for each combination, and automatically download and install (and checksum) the right one? Answer: it’s not fucking rocket science here, people.

If Dawn of War 2 doesn’t fix this problem it’s going to cripple their community – I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s already seriously damaged the Company of Heroes online community. (Not that I would know firsthand.)

My memory’s a little hazy since I haven’t played CoH in ages, but I had a similar problem: i.e., getting “file(s) corrupt” errors while patching. IIRC, it was due to some sort of incompatibility with my SATA RAID drivers (Intel P965 MB). Unfortunately, I think my “solution” was just to keep trying to patch until it finally worked.

For the record, the game isn’t installed on my machine right now, because I ran out of hard drive space while trying to apply the latest patch, which messed everything up. Yup, that’s right, you have to have ~10 Gb of extra space just to patch, because the game makes copies of files while it’s patching. If there was a cumulative patch, this wouldn’t be so bad.

I might reinstall if there’s enough interest in some Qt3 co-op or skirmish games. Otherwise, I’m not excited about the prospect of reinstalling a bunch of incremental patches. Besides, I’ve decided that whis would be a good opportunity to clear some games out of my backlog.

Among the people I know, Relic Online is universally loathed. The online verification is one problem. The game browser/connectivity is another problem. Games themselves also tend to be laggy, although much of this has to do with the high client-side graphics requirements, since all players essentially have to stay in sync with the slowest machine.

Troy: Opposing Fronts starts you off at 2.100, so you only need patches that have higher numbers. I haven’t checked on the latest patch yet, but all of the other patches are available for manual installation.

Repo: You should at least patch up to 1.7. The 2.101 mega-patch adds some nice features, like compatibility with the expansion and showing you how much damage AT guns have sustained (not just the crew health). However, it also adds the annoying online/disc-verification. Of course, since you don’t ever plan to play online, you could just apply a no-CD patch.

• Alan

Yeah, this I know. But that patch won’t work either.

Troy

I running through this crap while installing the original CoH on my old machine. Maybe I’ll download the version from steam that includes the expansion to save myself some trouble on my new computer.

Last time I ran into a problem with the CoH patcher it was because I didn’t have at least 10 gigs free on the drive. I know they claim less, but it took at least that to patch. I don’t know if that’s the problem here, but I haven’t had a problem with the patcher since I switched to a bigger drive for it.

Oh, and Relic really sucks at patching…just thought I’d say that again. :p

I have 73 free gigs. Don’t think that’s the issue.

Troy

you’ll have to buy coh again. you can’t use your boxed key to activate a steam version.

you are forced to have a relic online account to sign into even single player. relic online goes offline a fair bit so even if you have internet and steam, you can’t play single player when that happens. thq, you suck for that.

I don’t have a steam version, just all boxed versions.

Is there no way I can install from the box and patch it up? OF is less than a year old - this is crazy.

Troy

I have original CoH all patched up, and I have Opposing Fronts sitting nearby in the box. I’m frankly afraid to install OF because of what it will do to the patching situation.

Will it roll back my patches, or just unlock the new content that’s probably already on my hard drive?

[EDIT: Neither of them are Steam versions, both retail box]

Back when OF first came out, I tried to install it on top of my vanilla CoH installation. The new factions became available for multiplayer, but the single-player campaigns didn’t activate properly. The solution for me was to uninstall CoH and reinstall just OF, and then activate the original factions/campaign via the key.

• Alan

Well, then I’m not installing OF until I’ve finally finished the single player campaign in CoH.

The friends who I play with haven’t bothered to get OF, so multi is still fine too.