Compiling a List of Space Sims

Couple more random oldies that may or may not qualify…

Deep Space

Star Trader

Project Sylpheed. It’s a space sim on the 360. I own it, but I haven’t played it yet. It supports the huge joystick/throttle that came with Ace Combat 4, so I keep meaning to bring that out and play with it. But that joystick is uncomfortable for my hands, I always abandon it after one mission because my right hand hurts so badly after one mission. (I have relatively small hands).

Gordon, Star Trader looks like it would fit, so I’ll add it. Deep Space’s link goes to that other game.

Rock8man, I did enjoy Terminus for a while. Never got heavily into it because it was kind of a mess and there were better games coming out at the time, but I enjoyed it while I was there.

Scharmers, yeah, you’re likely right. pout

I heard this was a great game, but I own a PS3 rather than a 360. Sigh. I’ll add it to the list though, since it looks like it counts.

Hum, Lemon Amiga uses frames or something so deeplinking seems to be difficult to do. Odd I was able to obtain a URL for FOFT though. Anyway if you care, go to lemonamiga.com and do a search for Deep Space. It’s kind of an arcadey space sim/shooter type game from Psygnosis.

Yeah, I had to fiddle with frames, but here it is. Looks like it fits the bill, so on the list it goes!

I don’t see Nexus: The Jupiter Incident

Speaking of MMOs, should Earth & Beyond count? It definitely played like a space sim. But the difference is that you can no longer play it. EA shut down the servers.

That’s because it’s not a space sim, it’s a tactical space combat game.

It should, but I dunno how one can own it anymore since one can no longer play it. Though there is a fan-made thingy floating about methinks. I’ll add that to the list, since I have owned it.

I always get the Jupiter Incident and Jumpgate mixed up in my head.

I…honestly can’t see how that could happen at all…;)

This thread reminded me of a space sim that was never released, but I really liked. Fading Suns: Noble Armada. Anyone recall that one? Had a lot of potential, it did. I don’t think I should add it to the list though, since it was never actually released beyond a beta. Sigh.

Speaking of space sims that were never released, I was so looking forward to the Babylon 5 sim that Sierra was making.

Oh yeah, I never got into B5, but that did look cool. There’s a freebie mod-based one called Babylon 5: I Found Her I think which is actually pretty cool.

Speaking of space sims that were never released, I wish Bethesda had finished The 10th Planet.

Personally, I wanted to play Noble Armada. Beyond the demo, I mean.

OMG, I TOTALLY forgot about that one! I remember REALLY being excited about it back in the day because I just adored Bethesda. Sigh.

Oh me too, I really liked what little it had in it and I always wanted to see more.

I’ve been trying to remember the name of a mid-90s space combat sim where you pilot a polygonal Gold Fighter through campaign missions, and IIRC by the end you’re facing off against an entire fleet of ships.

Would that be ‘Epic’ on your list? Can’t seem to find that game on any website and started to wonder if I imagined playing it.

Never heard of it, but you might want to look here. Fair warning, I have no interest in and know nothing about Babylon 5. But the TC is a much better space sim than any commercial ones released the last many years. So if you were looking forward to the Babylon 5 thingy for more than just the franchise, following the link should make you a very happy little gamer (or not little, maybe. I have no idea how tall you are).

It might be that or Inferno, it’s sequel, both by Ocean. Sounds about right, I think.

Or maybe that was Darklight Conflict…

Seems to me if you’re going to include the Starflight games, then you have to have the Star Control series and Planet’s Edge.