Computer backup strategies

I suspect the “ransomware protection” that Acronis touts resembles Macrium Reflect’s which is just OS-level protection of system files and backup images so they can’t be deleted.

You can get Macrium Reflect Free and backup your computer by image.

Does Macrium allow cloud saves? I tried searching YouTube but most stuff is old and not about their latest version.

Whole drive cloning / images aren’t really practical to the cloud. I use Arq for that.

Another vote for Macrium Reflect here. It’s a great piece of software.

Cloud storage is so abundant and affordable that I save all important files and documents in OneDrive, and my photos in Adobe Cloud. OneDrive file are already encrypted in transit and at rest, but OneDrive recently added a feature that lets you add a secure personal vault. These are protected by even further encryption, and requires authentication to access (if you have Windows Hello, it can be biometric, sort of like how FaceID works).

Both MS and Adobe mirror files at separate datacenters, so data redundancy is there.

OneDrive is not end-to-end encrypted. The personal vault isn’t encrypted E2E, it simply has a second factor protecting it. But Microsoft can read your data freely, as can hackers. I would suggest not using it for financial data or pictures of your dingdong.

If you want E2E encryption on cloud drives, use rclone. For E2E encrypted backups, use duplicati.

https://rclone.org/

Maybe this has been covered, but here goes anyway:

I keep multiple backups of my primary computer. One is a conventional Windows backup that goes to a desktop external drive. One is a Western Digital backup that goes to a WD passport pocket drive. One is a manual copy of my documents, folders, photos that I make to another, older passport pocket drive.

Probably that is overkill but I live in Ecuador and we have earthquakes and I’m always conscious of the possibility that we’ll be fleeing the apartment one day. I keep one pocket drive in my ‘escape bag’ and another where I can grab it easily on the way out.

I’ve used OneDrive a bit, primarily to stage files for travel — I put stuff I want on OneDrive so that I can access them later from the laptop I take with me to travel. But that’s all I’ve done with it before now.

So, last week I was checking backups, making sure they had run, etc, and it occurred to me without much thought that I ought to just back my stuff up to OneDrive and stop fooling around so much with the external drives. And, without much more thought than that, I went into settings and turned it on.

Now, of course, I have a mess. Apparently OneDrive actually removes photos from your local machine after backing them up to the cloud, as a default behavior? Apparently apps that were located in folders being backed up are actually relocated to the OneDrive cloud and run from there, causing problems with licensing?

Has anybody else done this stupid thing? How do I stop OneDrive from deleting stuff from my local machine and replacing them with shortcut links to the OneDrive folder? How do I get the deleted stuff back, other than copying it all back down from OneDrive? How do I tell Windows to run the app I want to run from the local machine rather than from OneDrive?

A secondary, less important thing: I have tens of thousands of photos, and a cable-based connection with limited up bandwidth, so the photos are still being backed up to OneDrive days later. When I realized what was happening, I went to settings and change settings to NOT back up the photos. That made no difference, the photos are still being backed up to OneDrive. I assume the problem is that the initial backup has to complete before any changes to settings will take effect, and I just have to wait until they’re all done and try to sort it all out then.

I admit I was stupid, but this seems like excessive punishment.

I have been trying backblaze, an online solution, which is cheap. However it seems to use a large amount of cpu power (30%) and slows down my PC. It makes the PC feel pokey when alt tabbing from a game like Warhammer does not

Not sure if my PC or is all the compression it’s doing

I don’t use Backblaze, but a quick search shows it has a bunch of performance tuning switches in the settings. You can drop the number of threads and/or cap the upload bandwidth usage. This will all slow down your uploads of course, so you probably don’t want to do it for the initial upload. I would suggest capping when using the computer and then dropping the caps overnight.

You could also drop the thread priority in task manager, although 30% CPU usage shouldn’t actually impact usage unless what you’re trying to do uses >70% of your cores.

Bump.

Think I need to refresh my backup strategy. Been using CrashplanPro for the last several years, but with having to rebuild my Unraid array, setting up Crashplan has been a pain. Docker deploys fine, but the actual app itself will not connect to Crachplans services and it seems this has been an inssue for weeks. I can login via web and see my backup sets, etc, but can’t get my client to connect in order to set up my back-ups again. Trawling reddit also seems replete with people having similar issues and worse, having issues with restores, particulalry with larger datasets. Ugh.

What else should I be looking at? Backblaze and their native client? Duplicati to a Backblaze or GDrive back end? Seems CloudBerry is now MS360, should that be an option?

Annoyingly, the Backblaze native client seems to require some additional steps to get running on Unraid, since it runs under wine. TBH, can’t be fucked with that.

Thinking Duplicati to GDrive of Backblaze back end…

Thoughts?

I’m still using Duplicati but don’t love it. I’ve looked at alternatives but they all have their own issues on Windows in particular. Would like to use restic, borg, etc, but no UI. I could configure a YAML file if I had no choice, but I desperately don’t want to. So still on Duplicati.

I use Duplicacy on unraid to a Wasabi bucket.

Thoughts on cloud targets? I assume you are probably just going to GDrive?

I deployed the Duplicati container and it looks like it will do the trick. I don’t have a particularly complicated use case, just need to get it offsite and encrypted to a place I can restore from…

Though…I assume I can do individual file restore with Duplicati?

I backup to my local NAS. Yes you can restore individual files.

I have been using Crashplan for ages, and then my cheapo physical solution is a usb 3.0 4 TB portable drive that I back up files to every once and a while.

@stusser are you having any issues accessing the Duplicati webgui from Chrome?

Seems there is some weird cookie/cache issue going on (cookie header too large) - several reports on the Unraid forum over the last couple of months with no clear fix. My webGUI becomes inaccessible with a HTTP 400 error after about an hour or so of uptime. Restarting the container does not resolve, nor does retarting Chrome or clearing cookies/cache via the ‘inspect’ function. GUI remains perfectly accessible from an incognito window, or from Edge.

This does not appear specific to Unraid/Docker as there are also posts on the Duplicati forums…going back to 2021.

Looked at Duplicacy as well, but it seems to lack file level restore which, while maybe not a deal-breaker, is a bit annoying.

I normally use firefox but just tested chrome and it worked fine. Running 2.0.7.1_beta_2023-05-25.

I’m looking to switch from duplicati, though, possibly to something like NPbackup, which is a promising restic shell.

Duplicato GUI seems to be working again from Chrome. Did nothing, changed nothing. /shrug

Ran a 100Gb test up to Wasabi, all seemed to go fine so will probably head down that route and deprecate Crashplan.