Computer Games Magazine website drops computer games

The redesign of the CGM website seems to have dropped any pretense that it is actually connected to the magazine. It’s now 99% console, movie, and comic book coverage, with the same lame, trying-to-be-clever-and-failing news coverage that you see on every other game site, with shallow reviews and nothing that I couldn’t get in about a million other places. Go to www.cgonline.com and tell me that isn’t built with Generic Gaming Web Site Builder.

The frustrating thing for me as a subscriber is that it’s pretty obvious that whoever owns CGM (is it theglobe.com still?) has no interest in promoting and developing the magazine. Instead of using the website to promote Computer Games Magazine, it seems clear that they want to make a website that is a general corporate advertising/promotional vehicle, especially to support that awful Now Playing content that somehow got launched as its own magazine. That’s great for them, except they cannibalized their best property to do it, and now say things like they will “keep in mind” that they have PC gaming readers. They have PC gaming readers? On a PC gaming magazine website? Who ever heard of such a thing.

If nothing else, my respect for steve went up a lot after this latest fiasco - what do they have over there? Two editors, counting him? And instead of spedning some money beefing up his staff, or redeveloping his website so that he could build some brand identification (and give his readers a place to go to give feedback), they hire two clowns from sophomore English class.

You may have heard that this little movie called King Kong is arriving this week. Yeah, it’s just something that Universal Pictures and Peter Jackson threw together in their spare time, and it needs all the publicity it can get, which is why Now Playing is offering up some free Kong merchandise to a few of our more good fortune-prone readers.

I can register at their movie website to win a King Kong hat.
This is what they decided to do with their CGOnline property.

Now, that was un called for. Some people, including users and staff of CGM/cgonline.com know very well my view on this (I am a PC gamer to put it simply), and I too (as others) am annoyed with this change which of course is not surprising if you follow the changes for the last few years, but there is absolutely no reason to get personal with any of the people working there.

Yes, the online part is just a shell of what it used to be. I remember when it had new reviews/preivews in a different genre every day of the week. The news section used to be second to none. Now, it’s like online is the red-headed step-child. Pity.

Hurry up and get digital distribution.

What struck me first, when I saw the new version of the site was: “Where does it say that IGN/Gamespy now owns CGM? I know it’s got to be here, someplace…”

Now, that was un called for. Some people, including users and staff of CGM/cgonline.com know very well my view on this (I am a PC gamer to put it simply), and I too (as others) am annoyed with this change which of course is not surprising if you follow the changes for the last few years, but there is absolutely no reason to get personal with any of the people working there.[/quote]

I’m sorry. I believe you missed a turn somewhere and arrived at the Internet by mistake. The English Garden Society meeting with tea and crumpets is a few blocks over.

So, because this is a busy forum it is suddently ok to make such personal attacks on people just doing their job? Just because it is online and more or less faceless doesn’t mean you have to act like a jerk.

It sure seems to happen that way a lot of the time, though.

Motherfucker.

:wink:

Paging Jon R, paging Jon R.

So, because this is a busy forum it is suddently ok to make such personal attacks on people just doing their job?

If you’re going to be on the internet, maybe you should tough up, Nancy.

You know, dude, just because someone’s doing their job doesn’t make them sacrosanct. That website really has gone down the drain, and as far as I can tell, its because of the morons they turned it over to. Because if that’s the people who the higher-ups think should run the website, how long until they decide that’s how they want the magazine to be?

Who are you again? You really should have made an introduction post so we know who you are.

Least.favorite.new.guy.ever

Chet

So, let me see if I get this straight, you and some other people here, act tough and try to talk down to (some?) users here, because you think you are like, what, better? More “experienced”, older member of this forum? Some of you have some serious attitude problems, I wish you best of luck.

Yes, it is fine to hate the new site and the focus out of computer games, also to call names people who are just doing their job, but guess what, others can easily post their own views disagreeing with your post or your attitude. Or is this something you are not aware of, oh high and mighty?

I like to think of the internet as the Old West. Just look what happened to domain names. We had a land grab. Now there is all this fighting over them. Courts don’t know what to do. The ICANN is like the railroad barons who are drunk with power. Walk into any bad neighborhood and you get shot in a card game. Blam! Blam!

The difference is, you can get shot over and over and over again and still get back up.

Who are you again? You really should have made an introduction post so we know who you are.

Least.favorite.new.guy.ever

Chet[/quote]

My feelings! Oh my feelings! (and for the slow among us, that was sarcasm)

Wow. A discussion of a website redesign turns into a beat the new guy thread…just because he said that two guys aren’t complete idiots.

All part of some cunning theglobe.com plan, I’m sure.

Troy

I need a graphic to help me keep up with the Quarterly Whipping Boy.

I’m pretty sure we have E.G now, previously we had Jose Liz… my memory gets fuzzy. Machfive anyone?

I don’t think people are done with Jose yet.

Troy

You forgot Igor!

Also, Efthuluwhatever G’s first post in this thread is either brilliant parody or totally fucking retarded. I’m still not sure which though.

Probably fucking retarded, bring on the diet pepsi!

Am I off the hook now for yelling at a guy in a theater, or …wait, Bitterman hasn’t been in this thread yet. I’ll shut up, now.