Conan Exiles - Funcom, open-world survival

Would like to ask for some advice from experienced players. Not looking for a hand-out, but want to understand some of the mechanics better and get a sense for what some earlier priorities might be.

Knocked around a bit solo in a few sessions self-hosted; didn’t get far. Since have re-rolled (PeaCHan) on the Qt3 server. Spoke in general chat briefly with Kono (I think?) but otherwise have been playing solo.

I’ve managed finally to become self-sufficient. am about level 7 or 8. Built a small 2x1 shack (shelter), have a cooking fire, made a bow to hunt food with. Have boxes with materials, keep a spawn point by my base, etc.

Am finding it very easy to kill the hunchbacks (Imps?) - the other exiles however are a different story. They tend to come in packs of three and overwhelm me. A couple of times I have killed them when I only draw one.

Do I keep leveling up before moving on, what recipies should I prioritize? Have I done pretty much all there is to do on the shores of Noob River? I only understand I’m at the southern edge on the river and that the farther north and west it becomes more difficult. Should I explore to the east?

I have seen a wondrous structure built into a stone column across the river from me; stairs going up and around and a palatial cliff-dwelling sort of fortress. Doors are locked to me of course.

Again - I don’t want to have it spelled out or to have someone just drop by in-game and power level me or something… just want a push in some direction.

Packs of anything can be tough until you start getting into the higher armor/weapons.

In plant fiber/stone stuff you will probably die vs more than one of anything.

Things are generally tougher on the north side of the river. Currently you should focus on vit/str with vit being a bit stronger at the current balance.

Focus on getting Iron broadsword and the light armor set (lvl 10ish) and you will see a big difference in survivability.

Some of those structures down south are our early bases, you can’t get in cause you aren’t in Hellrazors tribe yet. Been meaning to go down and clean up some of those to open spots to new folks.

Holler if you need help or want a tribe invite, we are also usually in the discord channel.

There was a hotfix for admin password vulnerability released today.

Just messaged the admin for a server patch/restart. Players not currently in game will have to wait a bit until that happens.

Server bounced, was watching Lego Batman Movie

Can I get info on the Discord channel? Is it specific to Conan Exiles or a more general Qt3 thing?

^^^^^

I picked this up based on all the commentary, and this is exactly my reaction. There’s definitely potential, but compared to other EA survival titles like The Forest, Long Dark or 7 Days to Die this feels like a tech demo. Which, fine, it’s not my thing or not my thing now, but it felt way less robust than I expected. Now granted, this has the whole PVP thing, which is enticing, but the other parts feel underdeveloped right now.

It also - at least without changing the server settings - suffers from the “I need to eat and drink every 5 minutes” problem, which is always annoying in survival games when not properly tuned

Low activity on the Qt3 server at the moment, generally one to two folks on.

Pretty big patch today…

PATCH 23.02.2017
FEBRUARY 23 - COMMUNITY MANAGER (ANDY B)
A new patch has been released, and it’s a big one! Please restart your games and make sure your community servers are updated.

TL;DR (Patch Summary)
Known Issue: Yellow Lotus Potions sometimes have no effect. This will be fixed as quickly as possible, and in the meantime we recommend not using them.
Fixes for certain server crashes
You can no longer dismantle exploded jars
Bows should now fire consistently on dedicated servers
Bows should now always consume ammunition
NPC archers and Thrall archers can now properly aim
Bows should no longer shoot in crazy directions
Fixed an issue where thralls would not properly load on server restart
Knives are now efficient for harvesting Hide or Thick Hide
Made more monsters able to damage structures. Some can even damage T3 buildings!
You can now loot corpses under water
Players can no longer use chairs to travel great distances
The crouch/jump “boost” should now be fixed
Developer Comment: Please get in touch with us if you discover additional instances where this is possible. We understand the impact these issues had on raiding and general basebuilding on PvP servers, and want to make sure this issue is completely eliminated.

Performance and Tech Fixes
Fixes for certain server crashes
Reduced log spam on dedicated servers
Optimized animation blueprints to improve server performance
Made several console commands require admin
Fixed an issue where thralls would not properly load on server restart

General Bug Fixes and Improvements
You can now loot corpses under water
You can no longer dismantle exploded jars
Arrow projectiles are now more visible
Players can no longer use chairs to travel great distances
Players can no longer walk through walls which have not loaded in yet
Bows should now fire more consistently on dedicated servers
Archers across the Exiled Lands have laid off the booze and can now properly aim again
Knives are now efficient for harvesting Hide or Thick Hide
Placeables now correctly respect the “No Ownership” server setting
Drinking from a well now quenches thirst. The future is now.
Updated collision for banners and carpets
Player now respawns at last bed/bedroll they interacted with
Fixed an issue where a test NPCs could be spawned
Bows should no longer shoot in crazy directions
Fixed an issue with stacksize for items in containers

Balance and Gameplay Fixes
Heads are no longer returned when dismantling trophies.
Fixed collision on relic rocks in starting area
It is no longer possible to build on the shrine west of the river to prevent NPCs from spawning
Players can drink while underwater again
Players now respawn immediately upon dying, skipping the death camera.
This is a temporary change in order to prevent players from retaining gear after death, and a permanent solution will be implemented in the future.
Added a short delay before you can harvest a corpse to reduce the chance of accidentally hitting the corpse with a non-optimal tool
Players now unequip their weapons when logging in. This fixes a problem with animation states.
Bows should now always consume ammunition
Fixed a collision issue with the giant spider and rebalanced its attacks
Fixed an issue with explosive jars causing camera jitter when colliding with the player in build mode
Players can no longer stack placeables
Players can no longer abort attacks to increase attack speed
Made more monsters able to damage structures. Some can even damage T3 buildings!
Bedrolls and beds can only be bound to one character at a time
Make beds only have one owner, and show the owner in GUI. If you respawn, the bedroll is prioritized over the bed, so bedrolls can be used for expeditions. Please give us feedback on this change.
Players can no longer break the surrender emote by entering combat unarmed
Monsters have received unique attacks and can now knock you back
The pickaxe now suffers no harvesting penalties and give full resources from trees and rocks
You can no longer build in invalid locations if you enter building mode without moving the mouse

Visual Improvements
Gazelle now ragdoll properly after death
Elephants now ragdoll properly after death
Player turn rates and walk rates have been tweaked to fix animation problems
Added new equip animations for the fiber rope in 1st and 3rd person
Add social animations for the Hyena and Crocodile when they are stationary
Various tweaks to armors
Various tweaks to the male and female bodies
Various tweaks to the male and female heads and hair
The Relic Hunters now equip Relic Hunter armor pieces

Text and Localization
Added new translations for dialogues, items and user interface
Added subtitles to several voice-overs

Mods
Fixed an issue where server login would fail if you had too many mods installed

Known Issues
We are aware that crossbows still fire inconsistently. We are working on a fix
Shrines are currently not able to be placed in singleplayer mode. We are aware of this and will fix that as quickly as possible.
Yellow Lotus Potions sometimes have no effect. This will be fixed as quickly as possible, and in the meantime we recommend not using them.

And of course people on Reddit are bitching that they can’t raid some structures.

I’m still playing but in the past few days have rarely run into others on the qt3 server. Tougher to get things done solo, compared to other like games. Come join the fun!

I would need serious convincing. I liked ARK for about a day and this seems terribly similar.

Server patched, in Seattle so won’t be online this weekend

I remember how incredibly frustrating all the dying and restarting was for you, Knightsaber and might recommend against dipping your toes in, unless you can start out when one or two others happen to be on. Games like this one are far from kind in the beginning, and it really helps to (a) not care and/or (b) have a fortress to retreat to in times of need.

Came across this more or less by accident. What happens in Conan Exiles, stays in Conan Exiles.

a

I haven’t been on for a few days but I did see you guys updated the warehouse to 2.0. Very nice! I’m kind of in that spot where there isn’t much to do at the moment but farm. More people would be fun.

Try as I might, I can’t seem to find the server in the server browser. I’m thinking it’s a region thing, that the browser prioritizes servers from my own region (EU), because at most like 1% of the servers I see are listed as America.

I learned the secret of steel-making by watching the original Conan movie.

I haven’t been on in a couple of days. Have been on one of the official servers as the end game of politics, betrayal, and revenge are hard to do with only friendly Qt3 folks playing on the Qt3 server. This game seems like shadowbane, where you make your own fun, cause the PvE isn’t anything to write home about.

“Do you want to live forever?”
And they proceeded to live forever.