Conan Exiles - Funcom, open-world survival

Maybe in the future, and I might bring a few with me but…I cannot bring myself to do another Early Access that early on. I need the bread to at least start to brown a little. I have so many games that seem likely to never finish…

Yeah, you’re right. Healer, not Thief (Rogue). In my defense I sometime revert back to original Diablo’s 3 classes.

FYI - I’m a big fan of 7 Days myself. I have put it aside for now but absolutely intend to get back to it. Definitely scratches my itch. I hear what you’re saying about teaming up and fighting (or defending) but I’m maybe more of a soloist at heart.

See I love adventuring together. I hate someone telling me on the mic that going to the treasure chest, or chasing down the crate is a solo event. We’re better off splitting up for the day. I keep thinking… if I wanted to play solo, I would play solo. I want to group together. 7 Days doesn’t hugely encourage that, neither did ARK, but I am hoping Conan will… eventually.

I am also a fan of the trinity because it not only pushes you together it makes you learn your role. The downside is there is usually some half-ass class that doesn’t fit quit right that gets left out, there tends to be this idea that there is only one way to make and grow a character or you did it wrong, and there is not much flexibility/scalability for a varying group… even with the holy trinity you can’t do the harder challenges without crowd control, have 6 that want to group together… too bad it a 5 man instance.

These survival games offer flexibility the MMOs don’t.

Sorry to cut in – been enjoying the discussion – but wanted to mention that another hotfix is on the way to fix the structure placement issue introduced with last week’s patch ("…we have fixes inbound for the building “snap” and placement issue, as well as further planned improvements for “lag” caused by attempting to place structures partially inside of terrain."). They wanted to push it out today but it looks like tomorrow is more likely.

Think I was experiencing those structure placement issues; be looking forward to that fix.

Server patched and restarted!

The structure placement issue may be at least partially fixed. Not very clear based on cryptic hotfix note: “Fixed issues with building piece placement including stalls” (official link). Edit: Also this reddit comment: “This hotfix updated issues with lag when placing objects as well as the ability to place out certain pieces like stairs. Unfortunately this didn’t update other issues such as gates/doors but will be fixed ASAP! Thank you all very much for your patience.”

Edit: Here’s a possible fix or workaround for the structures issue:

Will give that a shot this evening unless another patch is released.

Trebuchet sneak peak:

Interior of a new tower Kono and I built last week (his design, probably borrowed from a redditor):

Exterior of an amazing tower shared by a different redditor this week:

This guy may have been the first person to actually showcase the triangle center concept (via reddit):

One of the devs requesting feedback on combat in general on reddit:

Jay_EV: This being Early Access there are several things that are subject to change, and combat is one of them. Our creative director knows that something needs to be done about it, and combat is his baby so he’s always reading feedback about it.

It’d actually be great if you could give us feedback on how combat currently makes you feel as a player, and how you would like to feel in a combat situation. That’s more helpful than saying “just copy Chivalry”. :)

Some pretty good responses.

Hey what material did you and Kono use? Is that 3rd tier?

I dug your tower but that reddit one is sublime.

On another topic: Decay

Can anyone accurately explain how it works or point me to something that is correct and succinct?

It sounds to me like a single block if not connected to anything will decay in about an hour. But I do not know how it scales or what I should expect. Seems like the bigger the building and/or connected blocks will last longer before decaying but what resets the decay meter? Do I have to interact with it or be in close proximity for a length of time or just by logging on the server are ‘my’ buildings reset in terms of decay clock?

It seems to me that proximity/interaction must be a factor. I was going around to a number of places where I had done building; proto-bases and some whimsical stairways and the like. In one case I could find no trace of my construction (admittedly, the lower stairs were gone so I couldn’t get up top to see anything more).

In another, an base that I used for a long time but not in a while but that I probably pass by or near on occasion was in partial decay; maybe 10% or 20%. Weirder still it seemed like it was decyaing before my eyes as I climbed up a ways to start deconstructing things on the way back down. At one point I seemingly could not destroy a few blocks though I could see them. I noticed however my feet weren’t touching the ground. I continued where I could destroy blocks and in a minute when I looked back the way I came those indestructible blocks had vanished.

On the whole I think the decay system is good; saves me from having to go back to things I do want to abandon. But there are several buildings that I do not want to decay and I want to know what it is that needs to be done.

Decay follow up…

Well just did a bit more successful checking up on Decay and here’s what else I know:

There is Abandonment, then Decay. The first phase a block goes through it loss of it’s ownership or abandonment. Meaning in this state anyone can walk up to it and destroy it. (Yields no recovered mats if abandoned btw.) Later comes decay where it disappears.

Also, and I’m not 100% but I think for buildings / connected blocks it goes like this. If a lone block takes about an hour to ‘decay’ (abandon, then decay?) then a large building will take a very long time as it is not concurrent but more an amalgamation. Also, the higher tier the block; longer still. And a building will become abandoned all at once when its time is up and not block by block. (The decay may be another story? more random timing?)

Interestingly it also said that the grounded ‘base’ blocks (as opposed to walls, ceilings, doorways…) are the quickest to abandon/decay. I would have assumed those would be longest.

Interesting Thanks for doing the research.

Edit: And trebuchets.

Changelog:

TL;DR (Patch Highlights)
(NEW CONTENT) The trebuchet siege engine has arrived and can help you tear down enemy walls and fortifications! Can be crafted at the carpenter bench
(NEW CONTENT) Added two types of ammunition: Siege boulder and Demon-Fire barrage
Added siege GUI for trebuchet where you can add counterweights to modify range and craft siege ammunition
Gates can now be placed in gateways
Fence foundations now snap correctly to sockets
Changed the dodge mechanic to give more control such that you can no longer dodge while moving forward or partially forward.
The Yellow Lotus Potion should now work as intended
Certain religion and lore NPCs will now respawn correctly

General Bug Fixes and Improvements
Some dye ingredients are now easier to reach and harvest
The Yellow Lotus Potion now works as intended
Gates can now be placed in gateways
Fence foundations now snap correctly to sockets
Fixed several dye resources not being dismantled when harvesting them
Crystals in Imp-cave can now be picked up
Bedrolls should now work properly as spawn points in small buildings with low ceilings
Fixed a case of player camera getting broken if you removed the bracelet during the death wall cinematic
The horn will now correctly play sounds when interacted with via Pop-up menu
Fixed various cases where players could fall through or leave the map
Certain religion and lore NPCs will now respawn correctly

Balance and Gameplay Fixes
Tweaked the decay score of certain small placeables. Removed decay from certain placeables that don’t claim land.
Fixed a case where players could move after starting to summon an avatar
Rocknose Kings now give the correct head type when harvested
Changed the dodge mechanic to give more control such that you can no longer dodge while moving forward or partially forward.

Visual Improvements
Various female hair fixes
Visual polish on NPC dialogue window
Visual polish on breath meter
Players no longer see Crippling Poison counters when nearby Thralls get poisoned

Server Settings
Added a server setting to modify the rate at which players gain corruption
Added a server setting to modify the rate at which entertainers remove corruption
You can no longer attempt to change Message of the Day (MOTD) unless you are admin
ServerSetting “FriendlyFireDamageMultiplier” if enabled no longer prevents players from taking fall damage
Setting MOTD through console now supports inclusion of URLs

Text and Localization
Added text for all new weapons, dyes and the Dogs of the Desert armor set
Added various translations for Brazilian Portuguese

Known issues
If you have a Thrall in your inventory when trying to dye an item, your game client will crash. This will be fixed in the next patch

In this update we’re also switching over the server settings on some of our PvP Blitz servers. Starting today we’re disabling avatars on the following servers:
Official 167 - America - PvP Blitz
Official 168 - America - PvP Blitz
Official 169 - America - PvP Blitz
Official 115 - Europe - PvP Blitz
Official 116 - Europe - PvP Blitz
Official 117 - Europe - PvP Blitz
Official 273 - Asia - PvP Blitz

So building is fully fixed now? We can start our gate upgrade project that has been on hold for two weeks?

I sincerely hope so! Just patched/restarted the server.

Edit: Yup, building seems to be fine now. Gateway/gate placement works (verified in a different project). Yay.

Edit 2: Regarding Mr_PeaCH’s experiments and findings, I’m pretty sure the Building Abandonment feature is not disabled on this server. It might make sense to disable it for now. What do you guys think?

I think I like the concept but until we know more about how it works let’s maybe hold off of it. Mostly how to reset it… do I just have to log on the server regularly, or do I have to actually go/be near the buildings. If so, do I have to stay any length, how close is close enough, etc.

In other news (dyes) leaving your brimstone in the fire with your flasks will create yellow and it takes precedent over any other coloring you have left in there. So remove the brimstone if you’re creating dye or prepare to be mellow with yellow.

Latest Dev stream, posted today.

I sure like the look of the game.

New update was released; server patched/restarted! New dungeon (“The Dregs”), new recipies related to the new dungeon, new armor/weapon recipies, numerous bugfixes & balance tweaks.

The new dungeon is supposedly “level 10-20 group encounter, soloable at level 30+”.

Update 24 - You can now explore the dark and mysterious Dregs in the Exiled Lands

[details=Change list]Patch changelog:

TL;DR (Patch Highlights)

• NEW CONTENT: Added a new dungeon “The Dregs”
  • Re-enabled the hammer secondary attack
  • Disabled 2H spear secondary attack
  • Further tweaks to NPC camps (especially capitals) to allow them to respawn even if players have built close by
  • Binding to a bedroll now respawns player correctly on death
  • Upgrading foundations no longer destroys placeables on them
  • Fixed a case where stackable items (arrows) in a container would disappear on server restart
  • Fixed a client crash when having a thrall in your inventory and attempting to dye an armor piece
  • EXPLOIT FIX: It is no longer possible to build floating buildings which lack the necessary stability
  • EXPLOIT FIX: Fixed a case where you could duplicate Avatars
  • EXPLOIT FIX: Fixed armor duplication on unconcious bodies
  • Imps, ostriches and other non-humanoids no longer go bonkers if you hit them with a truncheon
  • Fixed some cases of disappearing items
  • The True Names of gods will now decay within 48 hours
  • Fixed problems with the character legs during attack, crouch and gathering animations
  • If you put stackable items (arrows) in a container and restart the server stacksize should no longer be set to 1

New dungeon

• NEW CONTENT
  • Added “The Dregs” which is a level 10-20 group encounter, soloable at level 30+
  • Added new recipes which can be obtained from exploring the new dungeon
  • Added new armor and melee weapons recipes
  • Added new ranged ammunition recipes
  • Added new consumables recipes
  • All reptiles now drop reptile hide
  • Added several chests of different tiers to the dungeon

General Bug Fixes and Improvements

• EXPLOIT FIX: Fixed a case where you could duplicate Avatars
  • Fixed a client crash when having a thrall in your inventory and attempting to dye an armor piece
  • Lootbags now properly allow you to add to a stack during looting
  • Equipped items can now also show tooltips
  • Overlapping structure pieces can no longer be made to float
  • Stability now propagates correctly across pillars. Lowest pillars support higher pillar
  • Upgrading foundations no longer destroys placeables on them
  • Fixed some cases of disappearing items
  • Fixed invisible collision on Blacksmith’s Benches
  • Blacksmith Benches no longer play audio if no thrall is present
  • Imps, ostriches and other non-humanoids no longer go bonkers if you hit them with a truncheon
  • Trophies and wall lanterns can be placed correctly on walls
  • Fixed a client crash if you died with a thrall in your inventory
  • It is no longer possible to summon an Avatar while in mid air
  • The True Names of gods will now decay within 48 hours
  • Binding to a bedroll now respawns player correctly on death
  • EXPLOIT FIX: Fixed armor duplication on unconcious bodies
  • If you put stackable items (arrows) in a container and restart then stacksize should no longer be set to 1
  • Explosive Jars no longer cause dmg if structural dmg is disabled
  • Yellow Lotus Potions no longer duplicate if moving out of render range

Balance and Gameplay Fixes

• NPCs in camps should ignore land claim system
  • Lootbags no longer give shelter
  • Interaction System now selects objects closest to center of the screen
  • Disabled 2H spear secondary attack
  • Re-enabled the hammer secondary attack
  • It should now be easier to interact with loot bags dropped on trebuchet foundations
  • Thrall armorers (especially tier 3 and 4) now have more recipes
  • Trebuchet can no longer inflict damage to structures during PvP and PvE time restrictions
  • Added warning notification before you start to take damage from hunger or thirst

Visual Improvements

• Fixed problems with the character legs during attack, crouch and gathering animations
  • Fixed several trees which looked like they had underwater animations in the distance
  • NPCs (and Hyenas in particular) should no longer shake/move when attacking in close proximity to another NPC
  • Fixed certain building pieces disappearing at long range
  • NPCs now animate correctly at distance on local play

Performance and Tech Fixes

• Disabled moonlight during day
  • Fixed a server crash when attacking indestructible structures with Avatars

Text and Localization

• Added tooltip to server settings panel
  • Additional localization for RU, PL and BR translations

Character creation

• Added better descriptions to the gods
  • Various GUI and text fixes
  • Fixed problems with color picker for eyes

Known issues

• Bloom on ghost textures are currently broken, making them appear much too bright

[/details]

Has been a stealth patch 07-04-17 after Update 24 and server needs another kicking.