Conan Exiles - Funcom, open-world survival

There’s far too many cheaters and exploiters on games like this for me to get any enjoyment out of official servers. I feel like I served my time with those assholes back in the UO days and lost my appetite for it. :)

Well, do not look in my bedroom.

Been busy this week. I will try to hop on this weekend.

Definitely seems like it’s Steam not listing servers that are either too far away, or based on some other metric. I found the server by searching on Battlemetrics https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/conanexiles instead. I’m Eir in-game, just hanging out at the edge of the wastes, trying not to die. :)

So how are these updates doing content wise. That’s one of the things Ark had going for it was there was a steady stream of new content flowing in. Do you get that same feeling with Conan?

Have you run into a lot of cheating so far? I know the official servers require that battle eye software, but I fully admit that I have no idea how well it works, or how prevalent cheating/exploiting is. So far, I haven’t seen anything that was out of expectations on the official server where I’ve been struggling.

I found a pretty good place to start a newbie base, which was hard because so much of the world has been claimed. I’ve got a nice mesa-top with its back top the newbie desert, with two layers of stairs to get to the base. I take down parts of both sets of stairs when I log off, and so far, I haven’t had a raid against me. I’ve heard there’s an avatar that can fly, so there’s always that, but I’m small potatoes at this point, so I’m just trying to be less value than effort.

Pretty much exactly that.

I’m enjoying the building as well, just that there’s not much of a point to it without some threats. And no, I’m not asking for you all to come raid my base :)

Not me, no, I don’t play on the public servers, but it’s been my experience with the genre in general and I can’t read /r/ConanExiles without wading through a myriad of posts complaining about exploits.

Part of it is just the nature of Early Access. While a game is in active development, it’s going to result in a bunch of bugs, old and new alike. Then you add an environment where you can kick over people’s sandcastles and it brings out the worst in people.

Not to say that someone can’t have fun in such an environment, but it’s just not for me. :)

Get out of my room barstein!

Meant to ask… because I understand that when you lay down foundation blocks to build on it lays claim on the surrounding area so nobody else can build too close. If an NPC camp is close it will stop spawning. And related to this, if I farm the trees, stones and grass nearby they do not reproduce themselves. So, related to all of this, is clear-cutting the area around somebody else’s base a form of griefing? :-) I’m just saying, I left the trees and rocks for the natural appeal; now it’s so stark-looking.

Placing items/foundations do stop surrounding spawns of all things (rocks/trees/branches/npcs/etc)

Spawn blocking is a real problem on the official/popular servers but not so on ours.

I do not know the exact radius of impact, they keep adjusting what items block spawns too and are introducting npc land claim zones to prevent some of it.

TLDR, the spawning rules are changing pretty quick, hard to say.

As for bark farming, its a pain atm even with the pickaxe buff to trees.

Farming human camps can yield a lot though.

Also make sure to use a dagger to gather hides now. Tons of hides without the annoying bone/meat to sort through.

Are bones used for anything?

The only time I’ve used them was to make some braziers.

LOL, wasn’t sure if you were on or not and was looking for a body. I won’t say anything about what I found under the bed! Whoops. ;)

Anyone else having issues where they seem out of sync with other players nearby? I ran into Mr Peach and we went to the pirate ship. We ran into an alligator, which I can usually kill quickly, but it seemed like my hits weren’t connecting. Then we ran into a thrall camp and my arrows wouldn’t fire and there was heavy rubber-banding which wound up killing me. I picked up your gear if you want it back, Peach.

In other news, I’m not sure if I’ve built a fortress or the gay steel mill from the Simpsons.

“Everybody dance now!”

It give that screenshot 7 points out of 5.

Thanks again, Guts!

To reiterate. There’s rubber-banding and then there’s whatever happened to us the other night. It happens all the time, typically when I’m running that everything freezes and then, Zing! I’m 50 yards further and probably in the midst of a pack of hyenas or over a cliff.

When you and I got together that croc was overly tough. It seemed like you were not hitting it because when I started swinging I got aggro and it took a while for you to get it off me. Then at that camp our bows (your bow, my xbow) didn’t fire? Or fired once and would not reload? And in the end when they attacked us I was definitely not landing my blows and rubber-banding all over the place. I want to say it seemed like maybe after I died that you got control back and could finish them off. So like you said, maybe two players in close proximity? Or two players who are not members of the same clan or whatever.

Oh well, since then I’ve been super productive. Got set up with a new camp that I’m developing into a kind of fortress. I don’t have any real expectations that it would survive a seige or anything. Still.

I found another cave. This one is swarming with those weak imps. Inside is full of glowing crystals which you can harvest with your hands. (They don’t glow after you harvest them.) I guess we still don’t know what to do with crystals? When it gets figured out this will be the mother lode for them. Inside there were two passages off a main room but I didn’t dare enter. Even standing right up next to with my torch I could not see inside. Pitch black. I didn’t step in for fear I would step off a cliff or fall through the game - definitely seemed unfinished by devs.

Question: I know that I need to be level 30 to be able to unlock Steel. But what specific skill is it that I would take first? I can’t find the one on the list for example that displays Steel Bars. I see Steel Axe and Pick; Steel Longsword. But shouldn’t there be a precursor to those finished products just to start manufacturing Steel Bars?

That whole fight was weird. I made a run for it. They would hit me warp away, warp back and hit me again. I actually died too but I was close so I made it back to get our gear. I’ve never had the issue with arrows before that you mentioned or the big freezes like that. Might it be a connection issue?

For steel you don’t need a skill to make it. Just a furnace, steelfire and iron bars. I think it’s five iron bars for one steel bar. I broke a smelter thrall but I’m not sure if he cuts down on materials needed or smelt time… You use tar and brimstone in a cauldron to make the steelfire. Steel is a big improvement. I can gather 10 units instead of the 6 with iron tools. It makes crafting a bit easier.

Good for them.

I am secretly a fan of open games. If they are profitable like this one, maybe one day the game industry will make the one game that is for me in this genre.