Conan Exiles - Funcom, open-world survival

Also, PvE Conflict servers are coming back. They said oops our bad! And are adding them back into rotation.

So those are servers where PvP is allowed but you can’t destroy buildings?

Exactly that, and PvE I think is only during prime time…

Mark,
Hopefully we will see you tonight and get you in the clan. We’ve got a pretty cool spot picked out and I am loving it so far. As far as crafting tree is concerned, I would stick to the “essentials” page right now and just get more of the game under your belt. You can always respec later on once you figure out how you want to play. Bed’s are good, they are a permanent bedroll basically, and give you 2 places to respawn instead of just one. The rest is largely for cosmetics. You can dry meat on a drying rack, and you cna also get to 5 attribute points in Vitality and then you can eat raw meat without getting sick too. Also, look into fishing, because with fishing you can catch fish and have it waiting for you when you log in =)

I saw that about being able to eat raw meat. I need to be able to eat something called “rancid meat” or maybe it was “putrid meat.” I almost starved to death last night. My stomach started hurting and I was out of food. I had to harvest a bunch of plants hoping I’d get some insects to eat, which worked. Bugs! I was eager to eat bugs! It’s a hard knock life in Conan Exiles.

I have no idea how to fish. If only I could meet up with this NPC:

I’m a bit taken with this game. Today I created a new character on a PvE Conflict server because I didn’t see the Qt3 server in the list.

I decided to push up the map to the North because it is a server that allows PvP at certain times and I’m seeing a lot of player buildings. I’m hoping for a more remote spot. Anyway, to shorten this, I ran through mysterious ruins, saw a new creature I’ve never seen before, dodged hostile indigenous natives (after climbing a cliff to get away from a jaguar, only to find a native settlement of hostiles at the top – felt like an Indiana Jones scene going from bad to worse), and eventually got killed by another jaguar just as I was trying to make a bedroll to save my place.

So now I’m naked, running back to find my corpse to loot it, and it gets dark and I am at a river crossing. There’s an altar to some god nearby – least I think that’s what it was. I don’t have a torch so I’m deciding what to do and then I see a ghostly figure enter the water and start swimming. She’s all glowing and stuff, and I have no idea what I’m seeing. I’m wondering if it’s another player and that’s just how players look at night.

Then another ghostly figure appears, a man with a bow. He takes aim and shoots the swimmer and she dies and slowly floats down to the bottom of the river, and then they both disappear. I witnessed a ghostly re-enactment of a murder! I have no idea why or what it means. I did swim down to where I think the corpse landed, but didn’t find anything. Maybe I missed something. Maybe there’s treasure or a clue or something. It’s all just very intriguing. I don’t feel like I’m on the WoW guided tour experience.

So far, cool game.

How dark is nighttime in this game?

-Tom

That is a really good question, Tom. Dark enough to make you really uncomfortable, but not so dark that you can’t get around and accomplish things.

There are also camps and light sources around that you can use as markers in the distance to help you with your bearings, but with the way the bushes are and other landmarks, things could easily sneak up on you without you seeing them in the dark. Plus they make sounds and grunts so it can really freak you out.

You can also make and carry your own torches and place them around your own camp.

Wow this game is great. I agree with every design decision they made. I can’t tell you what a thrill of joy I felt when my torch went out at night before a sandstorm, leaving me dark and a little unsettled. The setting and the game design compliment each other well - its immersive and busy and challenging and mysterious and fun. I am going to play this for a while.

For a change of pace, I am running a no password “PvE Conflict” server. PvP against players is enabled at all times, but damage against buildings is disabled. That means you are potentially vulnerable when you are outside, but your stuff is safe in your house and your house is safe while you are logged off.

IP / Port: 108.61.124.68:24000
Name: (PvP) Fleetwood - No Building Damage
40 Players

Peek at the server:

https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/conanexiles/2269865

Feel free to join us! I will keep the server running for months. I am looking forward to the thrill of seeing an unknown player in the wilderness. :-)

Thanks again, QT3, for turning me on to such an awesome game.

For those interested…

Purge has been restricted (attempting to) to weekends only on the qt3 server. Still testing if the setting is correct.

@kono1134 I found this, smaller servers may need some tweaking. Good answers about halfway down:

You know what the Qt3 server needs? You! That’s right! We need more peeps! Although we did have 5-6 on last night, which was cool. Would love to get a few more bodies… erm players to “interact” with =)

Ill give this a read when i get home. Thanks much.

Can someone send me the Qt3 server info please?
I’ve been playing solo - offline a bit, trying to see if I would want to stick with it, and I actually do see this getting a lot of play time. It’s a really good game.

I’m confused about servers. What information do we need PMed to us? Isn’t it all in the post upthread? Or is @milspec’s different from the one you guys are talking about? Does a character exist on only one server?

-Tom

Yes I believe Milspec is running a different server, which he has set to allow open PVP.

Picking a server here works like a lot of other online games that don’t run persistant servers. Think Counter Strike or Minecraft with millions of player owned servers to join. Your character does not exist in any other server except the one you created in.

Hi Tom,

PM Kono for the private server info. It’s got a password. Some folks have been playing on it for a while and are established.

My public sever is a different choice. It’s got the standard Official server rules, but player building damage is turned off. Major difference is no password so you may have other players join, but the stuff in your buildings is safe.

Your third choice would be a Funcom Official server, they are public and super busy and maybe chaotic - but maybe fun. :-)

All characters are local to the specific server. They don’t transfer.

milspec

Pretty annoyingly dark. Doubly so as you cant go to sleep (I dont think anyway).

Pm sent to Tom and Spect (if interested).

The qt3 passworded server is default pvp, slight boosts to exp rates, purge on weekend only (hopefully). Slightly slower respawn of npcs.

Its pretty friendly pve though. Maybe we will have some formal pvp later.

If you want to join our tribe let us know, anyone can invite. Lets you share resources easily, etc.

Random note: frigid north is crazy dark at night compared to the south.

I reject your claim that there is any such thing! Night should be dark in games! It’s only annoying when it’s not dark.

Oddly enough, the idea of a dark nighttime is the only thing that really appeals to me about Conan at this point. I have no desire to punch down trees so I can make a stick to put a rock onto to make a pick, I couldn’t care less about William S. Burroughs’ D&D fantasy campaign, and I don’t really need dongs in my MMOs. But a dark nighttime? Color me intrigued.

-Tom, night purist