Conan Exiles - Funcom, open-world survival

You could at least strike a pose like Conan ;) (complete with Fozz legs under it.)

Did you end up trying it out? I hadn’t even heard of it for some reason until I saw it in the PS store. I’m also a bit fascinated by it, even though I only have a very tiny idea of what you actually do or how big the world is.

I’ve played the trial on the xb1x and it ran just fine and looked nice.

Not yet. It seems kinda like a game that benefits from playing with other folks on a private server and everyone here is plaing on PC. I’m still intetsted and will most likely snag it on sale to tinker with (Unless a PS4 community for it springs up on QT3)

I don’t know if this will end up as my GOTY or even in the top 5, but it’s certainly a strong contender as of now. I am really liking this game a lot.

Had a great time today with @Effidian running around and finding lots of cool stuff. At times I had big EQ1 vibe going on, with that same sense of danger early EQ1 players will remember. Like running through the Desert of Ro as a low level, dodging Sand Giants. Or having to make a corpse run at the bottom of Blackburrow.

At one point, we “trained” (remember that term?) a large world boss spider into a camp of exiles. It was decimating them until it got stuck in a mountain.

Also, last night our small clan delved into a dungeon and after struggling with a weird snake boss, we found a different route around it and proceeded to take out a dragon!

Really awesome time so far, and plenty more to discover and kill.

I see the Purge meter is creeping up. Is it going to attack you overachievers in the north or is my little hovel down south also in danger?

This is a quick out of game summary of last night’s adventure.

On Thursday night my clan got together online. There were 7 us of, we all are in the attached pic.

We started off with two honor combats. Metyra said Uthar looted Iron from a box and did not share. They stripped down naked and fought to the death. Uthar won so Uthar was right. Then I challenged Kallas to formalize my leadership of the clan. We stripped down and fought an epic fight between his sword and shield versus my maul. I won (with 20% health remaining) and remain clan leader - for now.

We ran 10 minutes north and visited the new settlement that Kallas and Old Bone built near the iron-stone fields. Its more dangerous there, but its a solid dwelling with plenty of room and allows us access to make iron tools, weapons and eventually armor.

We cleared a small cavern of some disgusting bloated human-spawn, and collected the crystals to grind into salt. We also peeked into the walls of the Unnamed City, and again had to flee from a single skeleton who we could barely damage.

The highlight was climbing the huge ruins that loom above our new settlement. Kallas had previously scouted a path up, and it took about 10 minutes of careful climbing to make it up to the raised platform. One of us fell on the climb and died on the rocks below. On top was an amazing view - and a massive, wrinkled bat monster.

We teamed up and managed to kill it. Three of us died in the process, but we had dropped bedrolls on top of the platform so we re-spawned close by. Someone harvested the bat with a new iron skinning knife and took 35 “bat hide” from it, we don’t know what it does (yet). In its altar were instructions for something secret, we followed them and have to wait to collect what it makes. Some thought it will be nothing more than bat guano.

A few people were bound to beds nearby so they jumped off the platform to their deaths, their corpses landing more or less on top of the new settlement. The rest of us climbed down carefully. One more person slipped and fell to their death. They were bound far to the south, so the two of us that remained split up their belongings to carry back down.

We quit after 2 hours. A few more people stayed on to craft or build.

We will get together next Thurs night from 8pm to 10pm eastern. Any disputes will be resolved by single combat, and I will once again have to defend my right to be clan leader by beating a challenger.

Its an epic, amazing game. 40,000 people were playing in the last 24 hours. If you are curious now is the time to play!

I believe the purge meter is clan specific. Ours is definitely getting full, but I don’t think that effects you. You may be just achieving more than you think. :)

two weeks out: 80 hours played… yeah, it’s a pretty good time =) I definitely got my money’s worth out of this title. I think I have 200 hours in all told.

Well crap, I better work on my defenses. If anyone has bastards or unwanted sons, send them my way.

Man, I haven’t had much time to play in the last week between work and playing tennis and spending time with the GF. I’ve been into tennis and working on my backhand with a new grip to take some pressure off my elbow. Time slips away.

I am going to jump on the server but you guys are so far ahead of me. I’m still in the stone age. I have no idea how to make steel weapons or if I should even invest in that kind of crafting. I guess I’ll just be the crazy old man wandering the streets, drinking out of a brown paper bag.

So I started this last night with a few friends - it is a lot to learn. While climbing seems pretty good, getting down has resulted in more than a few deaths. What is the best way to get down ? Is there way to climb “down”?

You can hit climb when against a cliff while falling to break your fall. I typically just run off the cliff, turn around and hit climb down the cliff. Of course, this has gotten scary a couple times when I ended up jump off a ledge…

Mark, The thing about a solid clan is… we have stuff! We can help you out, and I know Spect and Eff have both leveled up quicker helping out up north. Plus… Dragons! =)

Cool. That would be great. I still don’t get how we avoid hacking each other with friendly fire.

Me too, particularly when it turns out the ledge is “7” shaped. :)

We don’t! That’s part of the fun. I’m usually the unintended target of friendly fire, so I’m switching to Bow!

Just to test that theory, here is our current meter. Hopefully yours is at a different level.

I use a two handed sword which operates very much like a chest high lawn mower. I am the cause of much friendly fire concern… =)

true story ;)