Conan Exiles - Funcom, open-world survival

Maybe it’s the multiplayer, backend, etc? Dunno.

No idea what that refers to, can you be more specific? No jank experienced here, nor signs of stressed servers, be they hosted on player systems (PC or PS4) or on paid hosting plans. And I have hundreds of hours playing under all the various game modes and with varying player population sizes. Nor have I heard of such a thing from other players.

Nope - you are letting the raging internet mob inform you - There is no janky overstressed engine here.

That’s good to hear. I was mainly going by comments such as yours to the effect that maybe they had to dial back some things that were planned/promised/wished for due to performance limits (for client and/or server machines).

I’m glad things actually turned out so well!

Oh ? Thats interesting - They did do that, in order to effect better performance, thats true. Guess I am part of the raging internet now ;-)

Anyways - Its free on EPic next week, so a good time to try it out!

Combat was pretty janky back when I played, but this was a long time ago during early access. Wasn’t anywhere near as bad as something like Ark, though.

It still is a little. No where near as “janky” as something like “Outward” (which I still liked) but not as smooth as Elder Scrolls Online (with which I am very familiar). With a little practice it can be a lot of fun. You need to keep moving even in heavy armor and pace your stamina use.

The dodge roll gets a lot of complaints but I really don’t mind it… Even in heavy I can dodge roll fairly well. I find the criticism on the combat puzzling. It’s solid but maybe since I’m not a Dark Souls player, my taste buds aren’t as refined.

One nice thing is that the weapons all have fairly unique move sets for progressive attacks and heavy attacks. You can combo then disengage. The katana is actually pretty fun and it’s a challenge getting the last “bleed” stroke in, as the animation locks. I don’t mind it. Like I said it’s a challenge.

Also, if you just want to build your own little fantasy base then this game is one of the best. I would love for them to expand on the purge mechanics. The game is a little static once you learn how everything works. They need roving bands of enemies and some dynamic elements like slaver raids, patrols, NPC raids against other factions etc. Once you know the mob placement, you can almost avoid anything and the fear goes out of the game.

It’s a common criticism I’ve had of a lot of survival games. They put all the pieces in place but then it feels like they just throw in PVP and hope wrecking each other’s bases is enough content.

Still, while I’m fairly down on survival games these days, Conan Exiles was up near the top. It had the most potential of any of them I played, but for my own individual tastes it doesn’t look like they realized a lot of it.

At least I got to stand naked in a sandstorm, that’ll be a gaming moment to never forget.

Was someone on the fence? This is an amazing game. Better with friends. Yes, a little bit of light jank, mostly due to animations (and occasionally with the purge, if you get that far). I have four or five lifetime gaming memories that were made during the 100+ hours I spent on this game. It’s worth your time. :-)

I think some of the veterans may only weep for the potential the game may have achieved if it was perfect. Alas, it was not. Are any games perfect?

It made me feel the same sense of wonder and exploration of the unknown as Everquest 1. That’s the highest praise I can give it.

Ya, jankiness will definitely have a relation to server/server pop/thrall pop, but expect some. I find it’s particularly present in the boss battles where some animations might not even show. But I’ve also seen it in a host of other places and is probably my #1 cause of death.

I had heard it will be free on epic games, and see now they’re advertising that it will be free jul 2-9.

If playing solo, how did you choose a server to play on?

There’s an option to play solo / coop that makes your client a server. You’ll probably want to reduce cook times for thralls and animals because they won’t be cooking while you’re not playing.

If solo I also suggest modding down the boss HP, for example with this:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1675301072

Maybe people play differently than me, but for my first 150 hours, I wasnt anywhere near dungoens or bosses.

I suggest people just play the game without mods as they are starting out, since a lot of them lead to those stability issues people sometimes mention.

Hi @Razgon, how do I adjust the server settings on a single player game?

Hey @Reemul - Just go to settings, and the last set of options are the server settings.
You have to make yourself administrator first though. For some reason, I always have to push that button (Under the same set of options) twice.
I then set the options I want, and then log out and in again.

The reason I do the relog, is that otherwise I am playing with administer privileges, and thats annoying to me, too tempting to keep on :-D

@Razgon cheers m8, got it.

Have this game, only played it for a bit on release, been looking for something in this vein to try.

This is a great game, I really need to get back to it. Did not experience that much jank in the 30 hours I have.

I played quite a bit on the QT3 server. I got to a pretty high level. Did a bunch of dungeons and got phat lewt. I am sure there was more to do, but I got bored of it. One thing I never figured out how to kill were those giant crocodiles. I mean I could kill the undead litch king or ghost lord or whatever, but those giant crocks just wiped the floor with me.

I kind of wished they had some more imaginative items. I would have loved an alchemy recipe for night vision or some gear that let you climb unlimited distances (I did have the special climbing gear from some hard to reach dude).

In the end I think I just ran out of interesting things to do. There was no economy other than survival.

This server has an economy. :-)