Condemned: Bloodshot

Didn’t see anyone else post this. Apparently, the second Condemned game was officially announced today. Monolith is back, and online multiplayer is included this time around. FOr 360 and PS3.

Let the discussion of hobo-clubbing begin!

As the only person on this forum who actually liked Condemned, color me excited.

Oh I liked it too. The biggest complaint around here seems to be that it wasn’t Riddick.

My biggest complaint was that it played like a game where they had one good idea - “Let’s make an FSP… about fighting” - and overused it to death. Condemned would have been a solid game if it had been more varied. And had a story that made ANY kind of sense.

I liked it too.

I went out to Monolith to do a cover story on Condemned in my journo days. They gave me a pretty good overview on the story concepts while I was there. So the story makes sense to me…but nobody else.

Seriously, if you didn’t have it personally explained to you, there’s no way that Condemned’s story comes across like they wanted it to.

You can almost say the same thing about FEAR I suppose. Though I still have yet to play Condemned, a good friend of mine swears it’s STILL the best game he has yet put into his 360.

I loved it aside from all the levels being so similar (not that I beat it) and it being short (not that I beat it)

I lost interest though, I hated the hand holding with regard to everything otehr than fighting. I expected something like a super violent mystery adventure first person brawler, but the detective/mystery/forensic stuff was retardedly simple.

I’ve got Condemned sitting on my shelf waiting to be popped in. I keep meaning to fire it up, but all these newer sexier games keep edging it out.

I liked Condemned quite a bit, and there’s plenty of room to make a great sequel, but there are other Monolith franchises I’d much rather see them making sequels to.

Like Blood??

mmm… a nice fancy new blood with their newer fairly polished reputation (most of their shit SINCE blood 2 has been rock solid) and some silly/fun multiplayer would be REALLY nice. I’d settle for blood1 on XBLA, but something nice and new would be fun.

Condemned always kind of looked cool to me, but I hated the clunky controls.

Will be picking this up for sure even if it’s just more of the same. I have never seen my gf so freaked out by a game, and she loves the survival horror genre. I don’t think she will ever feel comfortable around a mannequin ever again.

“I believe in two things. They’re both fists. And they’re both mine.”

I liked Condemned a lot, too. It had a great sense of dread and tension. That totally brutal in-your-face combat really had you tip-toeing around some of the levels. If you got a gun, you were desperately counting the bullets…like one of those horror movies where they can hear all the bad guys out there, and they check the clip. “Only two shots left…”

There were at least two moments in that game that started me and creeped me out more than any game has since System Shock 2. Man, that guy in the locker! The old department store level was genius.

I’m looking forward to this. Now that they have a better grasp on the hardware and what worked and what didn’t in Condemned, it could be a truly awesome game.

I think I KINDA got the plot, but yeah, that didn’t come over as well as it needed to. It’s like a lot of it was cut out.

Also - there was one team making Condemned, while the NOLF team (mostly) led by Craig Hubbard made FEAR. Anyone know who’s on this one? If it’s the same team as before, what’s Craig’s team working on?

Condemned had two of the best first two levels of any shooter - genuinely tense, genuinely unnerving.

The rest of it was bland, repetitive crap, with a nonsensical story and an ending that went beyond comedy. As soon as the plot kicked off, all I could think was “Why didn’t you stick with the serial killer stuff? That was actually a good premise.”

And I don’t get why it’s deeped so creepy. I’m a total wuss when it comes to horror games, and even playing in the dark, didn’t jump once after the second level. When a couple of guys are going to run round the corner every time you go into a darkened room, and every scare telegraphs its presence, it ceases to be scary and becomes annoying. Doubly so when you know you can take anything the game throws at you, including Demon McSillyjaw and his respawning buddies.

Seriously, if you didn’t have it personally explained to you, there’s no way that Condemned’s story comes across like they wanted it to.

Maybe they shouldn’t have made the backstory reliant on picking up dead birds and bits of metal. Wasn’t the plot meant to tie in with some movie as one of those big-ol’ ecosystem type things?

Okay, condemned should be long past a spoiler window, so explain it to us.

Also, what the hell was confusing about the storyline to FEAR?

Ok, so I’m NOT the only one who liked the game.

There were at least two moments in that game that started me and creeped me out more than any game has since System Shock 2. Man, that guy in the locker! The old department store level was genius.

I loved the department store level. I loved the “small house” level even more. It was such a confined space, you didn’t much time to react when you got jumped by the crazies.

I get the criticism that the game was a one-trick pony, but for me it was short enough that I never really got sick of it.

Okay.

SPOILERS obviously

The concept of the game was “what influences people to do evil things?” Or, what pushes unbalanced people over the edge? The simplified version is this: there is a race of humanoids parallel to us who aren’t really supernatural, but biologically different. They have a second set of vocal chords that make tones that mess with people’s heads and have other ill effects -like making birds die.

The crazy-looking dudes who show up at the end of the game (like the boss) are members of this race. The metal stuff that’s all over them are modifications that they add to themselves to enhance their weird vocal-chord powers. Without all that stuff, they look human. Which is why (twist!) Ethan doesn’t realize until after he meets some of these folks that he’s one too! Thus, the crazy last momement of the game.

The implication is that these strange people are responsible for both all of the crazy homeless people in the game going nuts, as well as the serial killers. Like I said, not that you’d get any of that from the game.

End Spoilers