Condensed Campbell's Clam Chowder is awful if you don't add milk

Eating food paste makes me feel like a spaceman, but as secular humanism is my witness, never again. It’s like eating vinyl porridge.

Snow’s is pretty good condensed, though.

Thank you for sharing.

This is a great thread. I give it two thumbs up my nose.

I’m just glad it got posted before I had to ask the question.

Chowders are cream based soups.

Take out the cream (milk) and you ain’t got chowder.

Sounds like a really cheap clam gravy.

Damn it Gene, stop adding information and stuff, this is a content-free thread.

Uh… ever heard of Manhattan style?

I also pick up a canned chowder at Whole Foods (the name escapes me, but it comes in a light blue can). It’s designed to be eaten with water; there’s no millk content, and it’s quite good.

Chowders are actual salt pork fat based soups. Most chowders here in the US add cream, although some (like Manhattan style) use tomato instead.

Does the Whole Foods chowder have condensed milk in it already?

No, it’s milk-free.

Damn, I wish I could remember the name. It’s canned by a small fishery somewhere in the New England. It’s pretty darned good without milk. The instructions say that milk is an optional add-in, but I’ve never tried it that way.

Odd, i’ve always heard / seen chowders have some amount of cream. It might be bisques that i’m remembering.

Also, i’ve never had chowders with salt pork.

The worst part is waiting for the milk to heat up without scorching it. Soup-from-a-can works so great with hot tapwater. Three seconds later, it’s ready.

If you’re using milk from the fridge, though, it’s a long process. I always wind up turning the burner to ‘high’ anyway, and burning it.

I was considering using condensed milk, because at least it starts out room temp. Haven’t gotten the nerve yet, though, cause I’m afraid it’ll make the soup taste like kettle corn.

edit: also, I’m pretty sure Campbell’s used to offer a Condensed Salt Pork Chowder, but it was a hit in the Chicago/Milwaukee corridor only, so it was discontinued.

Using full-fat milk helps with the scorching. Nonfat milk scorches much, much easier; full-fat milk runs much, much easier. It’s a trade-off.

Also consider microwaving it. Not as likely to get the burning taste.

You actually might be surprised at what you’ve eaten. You wouldn’t really notice the salt pork fat as an ingredient per se, it’s more that the soup base is formed using it. It imparts flavor and texture.

It’s kinda like how a lot of beef soups are based on beef stock which is made by boiling cow bones. You wouldn’t notice any bones in it, and it obviously doesn’t taste like bones, but it forms the basis of the soup. (similar things are done with chicken and seafood soups)

Just get the ready-to-eat stuff. It’s like 50 cents more and tastes a million times better.

That the stuff in the green can? It’s not bad. Think I picked some up the other day. Then again, I don’t eat condensed food without, um, uncondensing it. I do use whole milk for the mixing however, IMHO creamier milk imparts a lot more flavor to the soup in general.

As for the ingredients, most recipes call for frying up a batch of bacon rashers or salt pork first, then adding heavy cream, diced potatoes, clams and clam juice, plus whatever else you want.

— Alan

PRO TIP: Don’t eat clam chowder that comes in a can. Life’s too short to eat bad chowder.

Yeah. If you had ever eaten authentic Maine clam chowder while sitting on the deck of a schooner sailing around Penbscot bay you would know not to accept substitutes.

Also, you would know that sailing around Penobscot bay on a schooner is quite possibly one of the most uncomfortable vacations you’ll ever take. Life is way too short for this too.

Has there ever been a canned meat that tastes good and is not named “tuna”?

SPAM!

Yes, SPAM is excellent stuff.