Condiments for Egg Rolls (poll)

• Soy sauce
  • Duck sauce/Sweet & sour sauce
  • Mustard
  • Depends on my mood
  • Other (that is interesting; please share)
  • S#!t B0nerz

0 voters

I’m always given an assortment of soy sauce, duck sauce, and mustard at every Chinese restaurant, yet I only ever use one. Curious if that’s the case for everyone else and if so which is your go-to.

Depends on my mood and on the specific components of the eggroll.

Out and about, I’m going to tend to the hot mustard. At home, I’m going to heat up some soy in a pan, add chopped scallions and some ginger paste, and enjoy much more.

Come to think of it hoisin (or mixtures containing it) should be on this list.

I love hoisen, but that’s not a common one where I live. Should be, but it isn’t.

They are always served with red/cocktail sauce around here. That’s ketchup, vinegar, hot mustard and sugar. Duck sauce is also not a term generally used, it’s just referred to as sweet and sour sauce.

I do hot mustard if I’m out, but sriracha at home.

Good point; that’s regional (Midwest/East Coast)

GAAAAH - just killed the votes with that update. Makes sense, I guess.

Plain. Sometimes with plum sauce but usually just plain.

Duck Sauce, so so so so much. Submerge the roll in the sauce.

Combination of duck/sweet and sour sauce, and hot mustard. That’s the only real answer.

Also, if the egg rolls aren’t Chicago style (ie, with a little bit of peanut butter), they’re not real egg rolls. And don’t even come at me with spring rolls.

Getthefuckouttaherewiddat. Actually, peanut sauce I get. Which is pretty much peanut butter but for goodness sake don’t call it that. Thai peanut sauce!

Whut???

Wow, I must’ve had Chicago style rolls but the extra ingredient escaped me.

Red sweet-and-sour sauce (whatever it’s called) and the horseradish-like mustard that sends tingles through your nose (whatever it’s called) are what I usually like.

Real technical talk from this gourmand.

Sweet and sour all the way!

Wtf are egg rolls?

Wait, they’re similar to spring rolls? But they have no egg in them…?

I prefer soy, sweet chilli or hot sauce with spring rolls.

Yeah, sweet chilli for spring rolls for me, or sometimes soy.

Some soy sauce with a dab of wasabi mixed in. I like this also for dumplings.

Similar, but have a heavier egg-based wrapper, deep fried, full of cabbage plus other stuff.

Yes, it’s a much heavier, thicker, crunchy oil-sodden wrapper than a spring roll. Egg rolls are almost always mass-produced and fried from frozen, so they typically aren’t particularly wonderful. Spring rolls are also usually mass-produced but they have a flakey, crispy rather than crunchy crust, and I prefer that.

I go for both duck sauce and hot mustard, but I don’t combine them, I alternate.