CONFESS! your nerdcrimes here

Example 1: This ^H^H thing ppl do. Some oldskool bbs thing? I understand what it means functionally (some kind of backspace correction) but i don’t know where it comes from.

Example 2: I’ve never played an Ultima game.

Example 3: Comic book movies are dumb. Batman is especially dumb. Spider-man is the worst. IT HAD TO BE SAID.

Back in the bad old days (late 80s, early 90s) if you had a terminal (like an adm3a or VT100) that you were working on, depending on how your environment was set up, the backspace key wouldn’t work. You would use ctrl-h to backspace. Please don’t ask me why. Control characters were usually represented in text with a carat (^). So, other times, when you hit ctrl-h, instead of backspacing, you’d get “^H” on your screen. Like I said, it was a bad time.

So, sometimes if you wanted to make it look like you’d tried to backspace over something, you’d put ^Hs in your message.

Spiderman is great now, shut up.

I’ve never seen Weird Science.

Nerd crimes or NERD ATROCITIES!?

One of my big ones? I never did get around to reading more than the first 100 pages or so of the Fellowship of the Rings, let alone the entire trilogy. No idea why, it just never grabs me. I loved the movies, I should love the fucking books, hell I even love Tolkein’s writing style. Never got into them, bounced off like four or five times over the years.

I’ve gotten so far behind on my gaming that I no longer buy newly released games. In fact, I haven’t for years. It’s actually a good thing though, because I just pick up back list bargains on Steam or GOG.

I never cared for Lost, at all. I never got past the very first episode.

I also never read any of the Lord of the Rings books. All I know of LotR comes from the movies and games.

It’s an ASCII 7/ASCII 8 thing? You’d be on a fancy BBS with ANSI color and everything and then enter dumb chat mode with the SYSOP and then you’d fall back to ascii 7 which for some reason didn’t represent backspace properly.

Related to that, that’s when you could do +++ATH0. +++ was an escape command telling YOUR modem you want to enter special command mode. AT means enter command, H0 was hangup 0. So if you typed that you could make the other dude hang up.

LOTR sucked. I mean, I already know about elfs and halflings from D&D, why do I care about LOTR?

I never got into comic books. The closest I ever got was buying the Marvel “monster’s manual” thing. Those had fun dossiers for every hero.

Rob Liefeld’s drawings are tremendously more interesting and fun to look at than his contemporaries. He gets a bad rap from elitist scum.

I have an AOL email account. Actually, two. (I also have several others through other providers, fwiw)

Add Heroes to that list. I started watching hoping to like both.

I got bored of both long before they ended and bailed.

I have never read any comic books.
I generally hate everything horror as a genre. No I do not count psychological thrillers like Silence of the Lambs as horror.
90% of fantasy bores me. Aside from Tolkien and Pratchett I think most are derivative and bland
But even bad sci fi I enjoy.
I don’t really care for ‘nerd’ artists that seem to be part of the zeitgeist like Jonathan Coultran

Oh, I haven’t bought a new video game in over two years. I have played maybe 200 hours total in that time, and maybe 20 of it outside of one of my legacy strategy games (EU IV, Railroad Tycoon, Total War)

Not liking Lost or Heroes is not a crime!

Oh, I’ve never really enjoyed any Star Trek TV show except the original, and I bet that doesn’t hold up.

I have a hotmail account that I’ve been using since 1996! It’s hard to give it up.

Nerd crimes though? I mean, I’ve got lots of quirks that differ from the established acceptable opinions. To me, Star Wars is a fun trifle. It’s not a cultural event to get worked up over, nor is it some atrocity that raped my childhood. It’s an ok way to pass a couple hours.

I am totally over the whole Marvel super hero thing. I still like Guardians of the Galaxy though.

I have enjoyed the last couple BioWare games immensely. That means Andromeda and Anthem. I should probably try DA Inquisition I guess.

I could go on, but that’s probably enough for now.

I find superhero comics dumb and often despicably fascist in nature.

I never played much Mario and don’t see what the hubbub is all about.

I couldn’t code myself out of a wet paper bag.

I could punch myself out of there however }-)

Fuck I aint no nerd, I’m a fucking jock!

Speaking of programming nerd crimes:

I don’t drink coffee.

Exclusively tea myself.

No pop, no coffee.

1.) I hate Superhero movies. The only one I have ever liked is Tim Burton’s Batman.
2.) I used to like Comics. Before Image. After that, the writing sucked; sacrificed to the art, IMO. Never looked back.
3.) I never clip counters. Waste of time.
4.) Classic Arcade video games always bored me. Calag…snooze…
5.) Star Wars only had one actual entry to my taste in the entire franchise (hint: It wasn’t directed by Lucas or Abrams).
6.) I never liked Star Trek The Next Generation
More to follow when I feel more confessional

I have never watched a series of any type on either a cable channel or a streaming service.

I . . . I don’t understand…

I don’t understand what I’m looking at here. It looks like a cross between a bowling ball, a bowling pin, and . . . Darkseid? Are those supposed to be muscle veins or scars? Which direction is it facing?

That’s a humanoid, right? Not abstract art or something.

See my comment #2 about “Image” above. I get why people dig it, and that’s fine. But the Artist-above-all comics movement ended my fandom. As well as the stupidity of the Comic Book Bubble age.

So do I.

All I can tell you is that the guy’s armpit doubles as a giant sphincter. No matter how often I’ve seen Liefeld’s work, I’ll always find something new to enjoy and appreciate.

Beats the shit out of the bland Watchmen artwork (a series which I do still enjoy, but that’s not a crime).