Confusion: Book 2 of the Baroque Cycle

Ship Date: April 13, 2004. It’s almost here!
Anybody up in Seattle know if he’s going to do a signing at the U-Bookstore on the day of release again? I may have to fly up for that.

Book Description:
In the year 1689, a cabal of Barbary galley slaves – including one Jack Shaftoe, a.k.a. King of the Vagabonds, a.k.a. Half-Cocked Jack, lately and miraculously cured of the pox – devises a daring plan to win freedom and fortune. A great adventure ensues, rife with battles, chases, hairbreadth escapes, swashbuckling, bloodletting, and danger – a perilous race for an enormous prize of silver … nay, gold … nay, legendary gold that will place the intrepid band at odds with the mighty and the mad, with alchemists, Jesuits, great navies, pirate queens, and vengeful despots across vast oceans and around the globe.

Meanwhile, back in Europe …

The exquisite and resourceful Eliza, Countess de la Zeur, master of markets, pawn and confidante of enemy kings, onetime Turkish harem virgin, is stripped of her immense personal fortune by France’s most dashing privateer. Penniless and at risk from those who desire either her or her head (or both), she is caught up in a web of international intrigue, even as she desperately seeks the return of her most precious possession – her child.

While …

Newton and Leibniz continue to propound their grand theories as their infamous rivalry intensifies, stubborn alchemy does battle with the natural sciences, nobles are beheaded, dastardly plots are set in motion, coins are newly minted (or not) in enemy strongholds, father and sons reunite in faraway lands, priests rise from the dead … and Daniel Waterhouse seeks passage to the Massachusetts colony in hopes of escaping the madness into which his world has descended.

From Publishers Weekly:
The title of Stephenson’s vast, splendid and absorbing sequel to Quicksilver (2003) suggests the state of mind that even devoted fans may face on occasion as they follow the glorious and exceedingly complex parallel stories of Jack Shaftoe, amiable criminal mastermind, and Eliza, Countess de la Zeur, courageous secret agent and former prisoner in a Turkish harem. In 1689, Jack recovers his memory in Algiers, evades galley slavery and joins a quest for the lost treasure of a Spanish pirate named Carlos Olancho Macho y Macho. This leads to adventures at sea worthy of Patrick O’Brian, and hairbreadth escapes from the jaws of the Inquisition. Meanwhile, Eliza is captured by the historical (and distinguished) French privateer Jean Bart while trying to escape to England with her baby. She must then navigate the intrigues of the court of Louis XIV, which are less lethal than those of the Inquisition by a small margin, but still make for uneasy sleep for a friendless female spy. Her correspondence with such scientific minds as Wilhelm Leibniz helps propel the saga’s chronicling of the roots of modern science at a respectable clip. Of course, one can’t call anything about the Baroque Cycle “brisk,” but the richness of detail and language lending verisimilitude to the setting and depth to the characters should be reward enough for most readers.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

From Booklist:
Starred Review This guy really likes to write long books. Cyptonomicon, his 1999 epic, was roughly the same length as the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy. Quicksilver (2003), the first volume of his Baroque Cycle, was well over 900 pages, and this second installment is in the same ballpark. It picks up the story in 1689. Jack Shaftoe, self-proclaimed king of the vagabonds, is a galley slave, but that’s soon going to change: he and nine of his fellow slaves engineer an escape. Their plan, to steal a cache of Spanish silver, turns out better (and also worse) than they could have imagined. Meanwhile, Eliza, a notorious spy whom Jack once rescued from a Turkish harem, is trying to get to London with her newborn baby. Set during one of history’s most exciting times, from 1600 to 1750, this series brilliantly captures the intellectual excitement and cultural revolution of the era. With real-life supporting characters such as Isaac Newton and Wilhelm Leibnitz, the series blends fact and fiction so cleverly that it is virtually impossible to separate one from the other. Stephenson is a graceful writer, never getting bogged down in detail, keeping the story moving, dazzling us with his technique. The concluding volume of the trilogy is scheduled to appear in October 2004, and it’s fair to say anyone who reads this one will spend the intervening months waiting with breathless anticipation. David Pitt
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved

I rushed out to pick up the Quicksilver as soon as it was available.

I’ll be waiting patiently for the paperback for The Confusion.

If I hated Snowcrash do you think I might enjoy these books?

I couldn’t stand Snow Crash, but Cryptonomicon is one of my favorite novels of all time. And I loved Quicksilver, though you’ve got to survive the first third of the book before you get to the good stuff.

I’m currently reading his first book, The Big U. I’ve heard he’s actually disowned it, but I find that strange, because it’s rip-roaringingly hilarious. It’s a dead-on satire of college life at “American Megaversity.”

My general rule of thumb is that anything of his to do with Cyberpunk I can’t stand. But his historical stuff, go for it!

Cool, I’ll put it on my wish list. I’ve heard pretty good buzz about them, but I disliked Snowcrash so much I steered away. I think cyberpunk just doesn’t appeal to me, because I hated Neuromancer as well.

Just picked up the first copy at Borders this morning.

First impression: not as thick as Quicksilver. And it looks like it starts with Jack Shaftoe, which is good news. His chapters were some of the best in Quicksilver.