Congrats to New York

Same sex marriage is now legal there.

Time for the rest of the country to follow suit, CALIFORNIA.

It’s about time.

Close vote, though; our State Senate passed it 26-4.

If you’re against what happened in NY tonight you need to take your head out of your ass and drag your thinking out of the Dark Ages. Either that, or please go kill yourself and remove a homophobe from the population, and prevent your genes from polluting the gene pool any further.

What a great day for the people of New York!

Nice one, New York! Way to get on the right side of history.

I an fully in favor of what New York did and wish that every state did the same, but trash such as what you are spewing here has no part in any discussion anywhere on the issue.

He’s excited. Killing homophobes is a natural response in his state.

Time for some schadensürfing on freerepublic.com!

Yeah, let’s not wish death on people. That foolishness lumps you in with the clowns.

That said, I’m looking forward to the rest of the country waking the fuck up and smelling New York’s (And MA’s, CT’s, etc.) coffee.

Woooo!

Yaaaaaaaaaay!

Congrats NY! Wish we coulda got it done out west, but maybe this’ll help.

It’s only a matter of time, I hope.

I think it’s pretty clear at this point that the courts are going to kill Prop 8 and a ban on same sex marriage will be ruled unconstitutional in CA. If CA and NY both get equal marriage rights,( plus the whole process of ending DADT wraps up, it’s effectively over). Those states are too big, they have too many people in them. It’ll be very hard for lawsuits filed in other states to fail, and DOMA is looking pretty shaky now as well. Even the Republicans and Anti-gay marriage types are more or less openly admitting now that it’s just a matter of when, not if. That doesn’t mean there won’t be delaying tactics and setback and such, but historically speaking it’s looking like we’re moving into endgame for basic civil rights for gay Americans. (Things are going to be more rocky for trans Americans for a while after that, but there will be somewhat of a coattails effect).

But after days of contentious discussion capped by a marathon nine-hour closed-door debate on Friday, Republicans came to a fateful decision: The full Senate would be allowed to vote on the bill, the majority leader, Dean G. Skelos, said Friday afternoon, and each member would be left to vote according to his or her conscience.

I really wish this would be the case in every legislative body in the country, regardless of who the majority party is.

So, for those of you from New York, how likely is it that a Prop 8-style ballot initiative would happen there? Or is gay marriage pretty safe in NY?

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase “Hey, fuck yous guys.”

And BOOYAH to you, California.

edit:

@jerri: Don’t think we have that kind of thing, Props are more a western thing, but the Upstate folks would be the likeliest to challenge it in the courts.

Doubt it will go anywhere though, so I guess we’re safe. Cannot believe how long it took to get this, but damn if it ain’t nice to have.

I get the impression that getting a referendum on the ballot in NY state is a drawn out PITA. They didn’t even have a referendum process until quite recently.