Connecting Xbox to Live! ethernet -- wirelessly

My cable modem is upstairs, along with my SonicWall router, the switch, and all the other computers. So my problem is – the Xbox is downstairs. There’s always Mr. 50 Foot Ethernet Cord to fall back on, but it would be nice to have a less intrusive, more wife-friendly, and less labor intensive alternative.

Looks like what I need is a wireless ethernet bridge. These run about $100, for example, this one, with some nice additional features.

Problem is, I need TWO of them. That’s $200. Kinda pricey. I checked on eBay and other places, and these so-called “access points” or “bridges” all go for $80-$120; there’s no getting around the cost.

I guess I’ll also need a wireless USB adapter so I can configure these from my PC, right? I guess. Unless they can be configured via direct ethernet plug connection to 192.168.1.1 or whatever. If so, that adds another $60 to the cost.

I’m not worried about the crappy ~500kb/sec bandwidth of 802.11b for this usage; it’s not like I’ll be copying CD images or MP3s to my Xbox any time soon. As long as it’s faster than the cable modem it’s providing access to, should be no worries.

Summary: wireless shit is expensive. At least relative to 100baseT and ethernet cords.

How much would a suitable powerline adapter setup be? That seems like a viable alternative to wireless.

you need one (1) wireless AP (or AP/router), but beyond that, any other devices, you might wanna grab some of these: http://www.dlink.com/products/dwl810/

while they are kinda expensive, they work pretty well.

for configuration, usually you just plug into the ethernet port and hack away with your web browser at the default ip (192.168.0.1 or something).

-mike ‘mlatin’ latinovich

The item I listed is more flexible-- it can be configured as a wireless access point, point-to-point bridge with another access point, point-to-multi-point wireless bridge, or as a wireless client. Same price range, as they all are, ~$100.

Powerline really doesn’t work well from what I hear, and it’s pricey. Phone line networking does, however, but I doubt I can get a standalone “access point” for phone line networking. Phone line stuff is inexpensive, however.

802.11b is the definitely way to go longer term, since it has such broad acceptance. I just wish the stuff was cheaper. $100 per access point/client/bridge is pricey.

I looked into the wireless stuff as well. It’s very pricey right now.

After thinking about it for a while, I decided to just run the wires. Total cost was about $50 bucks for Cat5 cable, some wall mount modular connection boxes, and cable retaining doodads.

This was in spite of the fact that I had to spend about 2 hours total in my crawlspace which is filled with dust, dirt, mouse poop, dead mice, mouse poison, and rocks.

I guess it just depends on how much you like to save money.

wumpus, Spoofy,

Keep your eyes peeled on TechBargains.com. I recently purchased a wireless router (d-link) for $44 after rebate. They currently have several up in the $65 (after rebate) range.

There are also several for $70 w/o rebate at JustDeals.com.

If you look hard enough, wireless can be pretty affordable.

ASJUNK

OK, well, after finding very positive editorial and customer reviews on cnet.com [edit: AND on what used to be practicallynetworked.com, which I respect tremendously], I decided to bite the bullet and ordered two of the D-Link DWL-900AP+ units. Comp-u-plus had them for $96 + $6 shipping each.

Wireless definitely makes sense upstream of a cable modem, since you’ll never exceed 500kb/sec anyhow… but it’s still a costly route, at $200 versus a $25 (at most) 50 foot ethernet cable. I guess it all depends how ghetto you’re willing to be. ;)

wumpus,

You might want to add Tim Higgins’ new site SmallNetBuilder.com to your favorites. Apparently Higgins sold Practically Networked and then basically has started a competitor site.

Tim’s the founder of Practically Networked and the author of most of its truly wonderful content. I mourned its passing until I found SNB.

ASJunk

Yes, that’s where I found the d-link review, although my reference was unnecessarily oblique. I should have been more specific-- I didn’t realize there were other Higgins fanboys on the boards!

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/Reviews-7-ProdID-DWL900APplus.php

This thing can also be used as a wireless repeater, which is cool. It’s not a router, but I figure its four modes of operation are flexible enough to be useful in some way on any home networks I may happen to construct… for a few years, anyway.

uhm, why did you need two?

i don’t think he had a WAP of any sort before this experiment, derek. the two units form a wireless bridge between two wired ethernets, if i read correctly.

here is another option for people who already have an AP:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/Reviews-22-ProdID-WET11.php
or this:
http://www.dlink.com/products/dwl810/

Thank you asjunk for the smallnetbuilder link! I’ve always been a big Tim Higgins fan and was wondering why Practically Networking was sucking so hard lately.

That option is still ~$100 and less flexible (and slower) than the D-Link product I posted. I hate to be a spoiler, but all this stuff is the SAME PRICE, so why not get the ones with better functionality and performance?

assuming you don’t have your wireless infrastructure in place already, cdw/netgear are offering rebates on lots of wireless stuff this month, including a WAP/router for $54 after rebate:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/tools/rebates/rebate.asp?coupon=11957&page=1

OK, lemme try this again: Why did you need two of the dlink units?

it looks like he needs [color=orange]ONE[/color] D-link wireless/ethernet bridge to plug into his xbox’s ethernet port, and [color=blue]ONE[/color] generic wireless access point to plug into the network he presumably has his PC plugged into.

Because I already have a fancy-pants Sonicwall router. I don’t have any wireless gear whatsoever.

Depending on how these two work out, I may end up getting a third one to hook up my cable modem which sits in the bedroom with-- you guessed it-- a crappily routed 50’ ethernet cable between it and the router.

Man, I envy you folks whose homes are pre-wired with cat5.

Man, I envy you folks whose homes are pre-wired with cat5.

…and yet it’s cake to get all wired up with your console, right? Online console gaming is not going to be anywhere near widespread acceptance for years. All the talk in this thread simply confirms it.

–Dave

Well, Dave, it’s plenty easy and cheap if you just run a 50’ ethernet cord. It all depends where your cable modem/dsl box is.

It’s certainly no harder in physical terms than hooking a dreamcast up to a phone line… plug and play routers are a dime a dozen these days.

uhm, no. Thats not what he said. And thats not what he got. Here is what he said/got - hence my question as to why he needed two of the 900AP+ units.

I decided to bite the bullet and ordered two of the D-Link DWL-900AP+ units

Anyway…

wumpus, I think you’ve made your setup more complicated - and tedious - than it needed to be I think. :roll:

Dunno about you guys, but when I went wireless, it took me less than 15 mins to set it up with my primary network in my office (downstairs). By the time I was done, my den (second floor) and the living room (first floor) where my consoles usually end up were all connected and I could wander off anywhere I felt like and still be connected. I only have single cable connection (which I’m changing to DSL next month when that service finally shows up here).

I don’t have XBox Live! yet, but when I do, I already have an extra node and it shouldn’t take me more than 10 mins - tops - to get it rigged to access my main network in my office.

Hell, I can grab my laptop and wander to the pool area, run around in the back while my kid plays on her bike etc etc. Completely and totally wireless - all working via my primary network.

I exclusively use Linksys products, so the initial wiring plan and the subsequent wireless additions, were a no brainer. They lay it all out for you too.