Conservative Radio Host Tries To Prove Waterboarding Not Torture

http://rawstory.com/blog/2009/05/conservative-radio-hosts-waterboarded/

Chicago radio host Erich “Mancow” Muller decided he’d get himself waterboarded to prove the technique wasn’t torture.

It didn’t turn out that way. “Mancow,” in fact, lasted just six or seven seconds before crying foul. Apparently, the experience went pretty badly – “Witnesses said Muller thrashed on the table, and even instantly threw the toy cow he was holding as his emergency tool to signify when he wanted the experiment to stop,” according to NBC Chicago.

Talk about your all-time backfires.

With any luck Jesse Ventura can convince Sean Hannity to try the same stunt.

http://rawstory.com/08/news/2009/05/22/ventura-ill-waterboard-hannity/

I’d like to nominate Dick Cheney to give it a shot, I’m sure he’ll have no problem.

Well sure, he’d just power down for the duration.

Can’t people just put a washcloth over their mouths and try waterboarding at home if they’re so curious about it? Also, I thought Mancow was fairly libertarian/independent/whatever.

There’s video

Ah, I see it’s in the Raw Story article too.

That’s cool, he was really up front about it afterwards and instantly called it torture. No need for sneering, seems like a pretty straightforward conversion.

People shouldn’t be trying this at home and it’s reckless to suggest it. The reason water boarding feels like drowning is because you are suffocating.

You can’t keep me caged… I’m RECKLESS!

SymbolicFrank: do not try this at home.

It’s the cloth + the water + the angle + THE INABILITY TO STOP IT BY SAYING UNCLE that blend to make waterboarding what it is. What this guy and other stunt geniuses have done shows you a percentage of the experience, but for obvious reasons is never going to give a full accounting of what it’s like to have it done against your will and/or repeatedly. It’s impressive, though, that it’s so immediately, ass-kickingly unpleasant anyways.

No one should try it at home or without some serious infrastructure to back you up if something goes wrong. I’ll make an exception for you, though, as a celebration of your newfound “deadpan” status.

It’s pretty clear that most conservatives have a comparative iinability to empathize, especially with experiences they haven’t had themselves.

This is just another example.

That’s a bit unfair, but certainly there is a class of conservatives that falls under that, yeah. Way too many, too. OTOH, I think a lot of liberals are OVERLY sensitive and end up expressing pity rather than sympathy, which isn’t a great virtue either.

Thanks.

Mancow is the reason that I am an avid NPR listener.

Seriously, when we lived in Chicago-land 10 years ago, our favorite morning show was axed for mancow. He’s a racist sexist ass. The guy is just mean. (And I like Howard Stern and juvenile humor). Trying to get waterboarded and failing does not surprise me.

I agree with that. Although, once again, far fewer of them are holding public office.

Why would anyone listen to someone who refers to himself as Mancow?

Wait a minute… That wasn’t even real waterboarding. Having cloth over your face and mouth while the water is poured makes it 1000x worse.

Devious!

…wat