Console Online Gaming

I got myself a network adapter for the playstation 2 a few months ago because the thought of Playstation 2 games online would be pretty badass.

As I played more and more, I have to come to a simple conclusion: PC Online Gaming sucks.

Not saying the quality of the games blow, but the l33t speakers, bugs, and lag is what made me stick to Galactic Civlizations or single player games like Postal and Shogun. I have ATV offroad 2 and Midnight Club 2 (both racing games) and the one thing I don’t understand is why online racing on consoles work perfectly with no lags or problems, yet if I put in NFS HS2, I have to suffer from constant teleporting cars and random ‘hits’.

For some reason I find it very ironic that despite the amount of experience that the PC gaming industry had with online gaming, consoles managed to perfect it in less then 2 years. I won’t go near Xbox live because I have to pay monthly for it and its Xbox…eww

This is completely the opposite of my experience, and I’ve probably logged thousands of hours online by now.

i’m curious - what problems did you have online console gaming?

No problems per se-- just found that the interface and options are extremely immature and primitive relative to what’s available on the PC. It’s sort of like going back in time and playing NetQuake back in 1996. A lot of the amenities we now take for granted aren’t present at all on console games.

Umm, where is your monthly bill for Live or your letter stating what monthly charges will be? Also, Live offers things other consoles don’t at the moments such as voice comm on all games, centralized buddy lists and downloadable content.

Umm, where is your monthly bill for Live or your letter stating what monthly charges will be? Also, Live offers things other consoles don’t at the moments such as voice comm on all games, centralized buddy lists and downloadable content.[/quote]

When you buy XBOX live, you get one full year free then you start coughing up cash.

As for voice command, the way XBOX did it was horrible. Whoever thought that putting voice filtering is a GOOD idea probably enjoys getting his ear fucked.

Buddy lists I never gave a damn about, I never use them in other games so it doesn’t matter here. Downloadable content is no biggie with me either.

I don’t even have an XBOX, but tried the XBOX live with a friend and I would rather stick to my playstation 2. At least I don’t get a guy who sounds like Chris Rock mixed with Speed and Tim Hortin’s coffee.

Umm, where is your monthly bill for Live or your letter stating what monthly charges will be? Also, Live offers things other consoles don’t at the moments such as voice comm on all games, centralized buddy lists and downloadable content.[/quote]

When you buy XBOX live, you get one full year free then you start coughing up cash.

As for voice command, the way XBOX did it was horrible. Whoever thought that putting voice filtering is a GOOD idea probably enjoys getting his ear fucked.

Buddy lists I never gave a damn about, I never use them in other games so it doesn’t matter here. Downloadable content is no biggie with me either.

I don’t even have an XBOX, but tried the XBOX live with a friend and I would rather stick to my playstation 2. At least I don’t get a guy who sounds like Chris Rock mixed with Speed and Tim Hortin’s coffee.[/quote]

So, you are bitching about a monthly charge that hasn’t even been established yet, the voice chat options that you do not have to use, a feature that MANY people like because it makes searching for your friends a snap, value added (ie.e new levels and gameplay in Mech Assault and new levels in Splinter Cell) and you think the PS2 online experience is superior because you played Live at your friends house. Your logic sways me, I will now buy a net adapter for my PS2.

Hmm…

The PS2 is superior to PC online gaming? What multiplayer games are you playing on the PC? Try playing bf1942, UT2K3, SoF2, Planetside on cable (of course) before you spout off about how PC games suk at going online.

And by the way… If your playing racing games then stick to the consoles because they do it better.

And… the Xbox does online gaming MUCH MUCH better then the PS2. Microsoft at least had a plan while Sony talked and talked about the future of online gaming. And Sony finally went online - A full 2 years later!

And consoles haven’t perfected online gaming at all. My buddy has the PS2 and it’s hit an miss when gaming online.

I just got my PS2 BBA last week and I’ve been playing Amplitude online. My only complaint is that the chat window in the lobbies holds about five lines of text, so if there are more than three people talking it’s difficult to follow a conversation.

I’ve only played that one game online, but wumpus is right about the interface being limited. I’m not sure if this is because people need to navigate it with a PS2 controller or because the devs want to keep things simple since patching is not an option. Maybe both. Anyway, I don’t really mind. I’ll take that as a tradeoff to installation and constantly worrying about which version of what software I have installed. It’s easy and once you get to the game it’s a lot of fun.

Anyway, I don’t really mind. I’ll take that as a tradeoff to installation and constantly worrying about which version of what software I have installed. It’s easy and once you get to the game it’s a lot of fun

Constantly worrying? Hmm… if the softwares outdated you update. It’s not that bad. You make it sound like you have to be a brain surgeon to update a game.

Oh wippie… It took me a whole 2 minutes to update my bf1942 from 1.7 to 1.9! Oh ahh… I guess I just wasted 2 minutes of my precious life when I updated my game.

:roll:

The last time I updated BF1942 it took a half-hour to download the patch. I’ve been at LAN parties where hours go by trying to get everyone set up, it’s not always that easy. Amplitude Online takes me 30 seconds and I’m in a game. It will always take 30 seconds. The end.

Anyway, I’m not saying one is better than the other, I’m saying they’ve got ups and downs. Of course I’m not giving up PC gaming for the PS2, but I do like the fact that when I want to quick jump into a game I actually have that option.

The last time I updated BF1942 it took a half-hour to download the patch. I’ve been at LAN parties where hours go by trying to get everyone set up, it’s not always that easy. Amplitude Online takes me 30 seconds and I’m in a game. It will always take 30 seconds. The end.

Anyway, I’m not saying one is better than the other, I’m saying they’ve got ups and downs. Of course I’m not giving up PC gaming for the PS2, but I do like the fact that when I want to quick jump into a game I actually have that option.[/quote]

You make some good points. Sorry for getting a bit cocky.

:)

The futz-around-getting-games-to-work factor of PC gaming online is a real negative. For some reason, I still can’t play Moonbase Commander online and I cannot figure it out. I’ve tried for at least two to three hours worth of garbage and no dice. That is not fun.

Even in the Dreamcast era, console gaming online was a piece of cake. The fixed platform is obviously the major reason for it. You know what you’re dealing with for the most part so if the user can set up a home network (which is a big IF), then they’re likely to be playing online just as easily as they’d be playing offline. Frankly, I’d rather they make the games have a NO CHAT option for online console gaming. Just hit X to start the matchmaking process and then play. I play Age of Mythology this way all the time. Click START for a rated game and wait for it to give me a match. Type “gg” when it ends and go back to start a new game or quit.

–Dave

You don’t chat online with whoever your playing? You don’t talk smack!! We’ll I love to talk shit when I’m owning a punk!

:evil:

I play Age of Mythology this way all the time. Click START for a rated game and wait for it to give me a match. Type “gg” when it ends and go back to start a new game or quit

Which is, again, why PC online gaming is years ahead of the consoles. It’s like the console developers never played an online PC game in their entire lives. Griefers? What’s that?! Too bad they can’t patch their games afterwards to fix their many oversights, either…

… except on the Xbox.

I don’t normally have too many problems getting PC games to work online. Most of them are free to play online, too. I consider that a big plus.

As to Xbox Live, it’s no secret that Microsoft wants to impose a monthly fee for Live. The only thing that may stop them is if they feel they can’t retain Live subscribers if they move to monthly fees. If you go with Xbox Live, you are going to pay on a recurring basis, whether it be by month or year. So far, you can’t say that about the PS2 and most of its online games.

I’m sure Xbox Live is a superior service in most ways, but 1) Microsoft hasn’t done a good job in delivering compelling Live content and 2) the fees are a disincentive. Also, believe it or not, I’d rather have text chat in most games. I just don’t want to chat with strangers online, especially videogame players, because I expect most of them to be idiots. Text chat tends to keep the chat to a minimum.

Sales of PS2 Socom would tend to indicate that people want voice chat in their games. Certainly for games which require teamwork-- and these are by far the most enjoyable multiplayer games-- voice chat is essential.

However, I agree with Mark that most Xbox Live games, with the possible exception of Ghost Recon, haven’t done a good job of delivering enjoyable teamplay modes. And GR is a PC port, I might add.

Heck, look at MechAssault, with its boring-ass deathmatch modes.* At least they can patch in CTF later, but the fact that they didn’t understand what makes multiplayer fun in the first place is symptomatic of how clueless console developers are about online gaming in general. I call it the “miyamoto factor”.

• what the fuck was that Penny Arcade guy thinking with his public love for the online play in this game? Has he never played any PC games online, or is he just retarded?

Also, Mark, your comments don’t jibe with the oft-heard sentiment that consoles are fun because, y’know, you can trash-talk with your friends around the couch. Certainly voice chat is a lot more social than keyboard chat, which is problematic at best on a console.

How many users go out and buy aftermarket keyboards? And how many console users do you know that are touch typists? Voice chat is much more intuitive and in line with people’s ease of use expectation for a console.

Well, that’s the key. You said “friends” which typically I never can hook up with online. I play console games with friends while sitting around the TV in the living room, not online. Getting those friends to meet up online is even harder than getting said friends to stop by for some gaming. Just Saturday night a buddy came over to play some Winning Eleven 6. He’s got a PC, he plays online…but he’s more likely to stop by to play games face to face, where trash talking is a whole different ballgame because there’s always the threat of physical violence hanging over your head if you step out of line. :D

I think the best route is to make online gaming as anonymous as possible. Hell, having it become just like playing the game against an AI in skirmish mode is the best option. Like AoM as an example again…that could be anyone over there, but as long as the guy isn’t “smurfing” (high rated folks start new accounts so they can have undefeated records or something stupid like that…FUCKERS!), then the rating system gives me proper skill matching and a fast way into playing. If I want to play 2v2 and all that I can, but usually I’ve got a specific timeframe to play within and that may not meet up with my friends’ specific times. I prefer the anonymity. Keeping the option for friend-based play is ok, but it’s used rarely by me it seems, despite a lot of acquaintances both on Qt3 and IRL. Heck, just look at all the trouble we’ve had getting people to come out to play RtCW: Enemy Territory or when we were all playing AoM, etc. It’s hard to meet up with people you know.

I just want developers to fix exploits and cheaters. A guy here at work had someone pause the game indefinitely on him in an AoM rated game. Took an hour, but he waited him out. That sucks. Stuff like that needs to go before ALL people will be able to enjoy playing online and consoles aren’t fixing it anymore than PC games are. Then again, maybe all the time spent on fixing it would be better spent on making better games…

People suck.

–Dave

Edit: I think I really like online gaming, but all I want is the opponent, not the rest of baggage that comes with he/she/it.

“For some reason I find it very ironic that despite the amount of experience that the PC gaming industry had with online gaming, consoles managed to perfect it in less then 2 years.”

Umm yea, I’ll take this as the Qt3 joke of the week and leave it at that.