Console Wars MCXVII

From Evil Avatar, top 100 console games sold for month of March. Source: NPD.

PS2 - 61 games
GBA - 21 games
XBX - 13 games
GCN - 5 games

A couple observations. I don’t have Excel installed on this machine so I can’t break it down as well as I’d like to. If someone wants to bust out the Excel-fu, be my guest.

1. GameCube continues previous trend: a few first party games sell well, everything else doesn’t sell… at all. This may explain the way third party support is dropping over the last 6 months for GCN.

2. Zelda is a big title for Nintendo. Arguably the biggest in their catalog since Mario didn’t do well. Not sure how well it well sell over time, though. Metroid Prime is regarded as “a disappointment” from interviews I’ve read with Nintendo execs, for that very reason: most of the copies sold in the first month, then a slow dribble from that point on.

3. PS2 continues to dominate. I guess being a year and a half ahead of the other guys really does matter?

Really nothing more than confirmation of all previous trends, as per the same thread last October…

Raw data, In order from 1 to 100

RANK - TITLE - UNITS 
GCN - ZELDA:WIND WAKER - 826,352 
GBA - POKEMON RUBY - 652,595 
GBA - POKEMON SAPPHIRE - 585,098 
PS2 - TENCHU 3:WRATH - 164,282 
PS2 - THE GETAWAY - 139,796 
PS2 - DEF JAM VENDETTA - 135,162 
PS2 - GTA:VICE - 131,817 
PS2 - XENOSAGA EPISODE 1 - 122,969 
PS2 - YU-GI-OH! DUELISTS - 118,108 
PS2 - MVP BASEBALL 2003 - 114,016 
GBA - DRIVER 2 ADVANCE - 95,878 
PS2 - SOCOM:NAVY SEALS - 89,461 
PS2 - DYNASTY WARRIORS 4 - 85,734 
PS2 - NBA STREET - 85,595 
GBA - YU-GI-OH! DUNGEON - 85,457 
PS2 - GRAN TURISMO 3 - 81,220 
PS2 - THE SIMS - 81,027 
GBA - ZELDA: LINK TO PAST - 79,719 
PS2 - ACE COMBAT 4 - 79,408 
PS2 - T.CLANCYS GHRECON - 76,914 
PS2 - CRASH BANDICOOT:COR - 76,220 
PS2 - SIMPSONS: ROAD RAGE - 74,513 
PS2 - NFL 2K3 73,849 
PS2 - MAX PAYNE - 73,578 
PS2 - ATV OFF ROAD FURY - 72,653 
GBA - SONIC ADVANCE 2 - 70,170 
PS2 - JAK AND DAXTER - 68,580 
PS2 - DARK CLOUD 2 - 68,005 
GCN - MARIO PARTY 4 - 61,400 
GCN - SUPER SMASH BRO - 60,514 
PS2 - DRAGON BALL Z:BUD - 59,746 
XBX - HALO - 57,756 
PS2 - MIDNIGHT CLUB: - 57,359 
PS2 - METAL GEAR2:SUB - 56,924 
XBX - T.CLANCYS GH RECON - 56,818 
PS2 - ATV OFF ROAD FURY 2 - 56,068 
PS2 - FROGGER:GREAT QUEST - 55,433 
PS2 - ALL STAR BASEBALL2K4 - 55,390 
GBA - NAMCO MUSEUM - 54,425 
PS2 - NBA LIVE 2003 - 54,147 
GCN - METROID PRIME - 53,815 
PS2 - ZONE ENDERS: 2ND - 52,814 
PS2 - METAL GEAR SOLID 2 - 51,144 
PS2 - GRAND THEFT AUTO 3 - 50,327 
GBA - GODZILLA: DOM - 49,765 
PS2 - TONY HAWKS PRO SKATR3 - 48,322 
XBX - TAO FENG: FIST LOTUS - 48,140 
PS2 - .HACK: INFECTION - 45,893 
PS2 - TIGER WOODS PGA 2003 - 45,782 
PS2 - LORD OF THE RINGS - 45,232 
GBA - FROGGER'S ADV: TEMPLE - 44,961 
GBA - SUPER MARIO ADVANCE2 - 43,512 
PS2 - AUTO MODELLISTA - 42,154 
PS2 - NBA STARTING FIVE - 41,977 
PS2 - TEKKEN TAG TOUR - 41,709 
PS2 - DEVIL MAY CRY - 41,274 
PS2 - MLB 2004 - 41,255 
GBA - YU-GI-OH! ETERNAL - 40,650 
XBX - T.CLANCY'S SPLINTER - 40,268 
XBX - WORLD SER BASEBALL2K3 - 40,223 
GBA - METROID FUSION - 39,545 
GBA - DRAGONBALL Z: CARD - 39,022 
PS2 - SPY HUNTER - 37,718 
GBA - KIRBY: NIGHTMARE - 36,834 
GBA - TARZAN: RETURN JUN - 36,545 
PS2 - LORD OF RINGS: TOWE - 36,218 
PS2 - HIGH HEAT BSBALL 2K4 - 35,375 
PS2 - CRAZY TAXI - 35,178 
XBX - MAX PAYNE - 34,741 
GBA - DEFENDER - 33,916 
PS2 - KINGDOM HEARTS - 33,845 
GBA - PAC-MAN COLLECTION - 33,591 
PS2 - RESIDENT EVIL CODE:X - 33,523 
GBA - SPONGEBOB: DUTCHMAN - 32,891 
PS2 - CABELAS BIG GAME HUNT - 32,506 
XBX - PROJECT GOTHAM RACER - 32,275 
PS2 - MORTAL KOMBAT: DEADLY - 32,006 
PS2 - BOND:AGENT UNDER FIRE - 31,876 
PS2 - NCAA MARCH MDNSS 2003 - 31,809 
PS2 - EVERQUEST ONLINE ADVT - 31,619 
PS2 - WWE: SHUT YOUR MOUTH - 31,199 
PS2 - MADDEN NFL 2003 - 30,971 
GBA - D&D: EYE BEHOLDER - 30,968 
GBA - YOSHI'S ISLAND - 30,865 
PS2 - TETRIS WORLDS - 30,574 
XBX - MVP BASEBALL 2003 - 30,277 
XBX - THE SIMS - 30,204 
PS2 - WORLD BASEBALL2K3 - 29,925 
PS2 - MEDAL HONOR FRONT - 29,506 
PS2 - DEVIL MAY CRY 2 - 28,862 
GBA - SUPER MARIO ADVANCE - 28,647 
PS2 - VIRTUA FIGHTER 4 - 28,412 
XBX - EXHIBITION DEMO VOL - 28,411 
XBX - INDIANA JONES:EMP - 28,342 
PS2 - RAYMAN ARENA - 27,482 
GCN - STAR FOX ADVENTURES - 27,149 
XBX - SIMPSONS: ROAD RAGE - 26,872 
PS2 - IHRA DRAG RACING 2 - 26,801 
PS2 - PAC-MAN WORLD 2 - 26,676 
XBX - AMPED: SNOWBOARDING - 26,485 

I don’t think that the Xbox is going to pounce on the PS2 this time around, but I certainly don’t think Sony is in any position to dominate on the next generation of consoles. Too many fuck-ups and let-downs.

Like what? I think Sony will do fine as long as they are the first out the door again. They’ve established a good number of excellent first/second party franchises on the PS2 that make the system worth owning, and I could see that continuing on the PS3.

Man the xbox sucks. Its been out a long time and the best game is still the first game, and the only other game worth owning in my opinion is Ghost Recon. Otherwise, there is zero reason to buy an xbox right now. Am I wrong?

Yes.

I bought my PS2 because I owned a PSone and had few complaints with its quality or quantity of titles. The PS2, as with the Xbox and GC, started bumpy, but came around once developers got used to the tools after a year or so. IMO, the other two are behind where the PS2 was at the same point in its life cycle. Right now, I see no reason to vary my buying practice once the next round begins.

Nintendo and Microsoft are really going to have to ramp up both quality and quantity if they want to win over more single console owners (read: po folk).

Sony first out the door “again”? When were they first out the door before? Saturn and Dreamcast beat them in their respective generations. Sega has always been first out the door and has never dominated an era like Nintendo did 8 bit or Sony has done since the PS1. Their best showing was essentially a tie.

Sony will continue to dominate by having the most and the best games(not to mention the best controller). I don’t know how big a deal this is for anyone else, but the PS2’s no-extra-cost DVD player was a big factor in it’s favor for me.

I think it’s funny how you guys state your opinions as if they’re facts. Does the PS2 have the best controller? You might think so, I don’t though. Does the PS2 have the best games? Some might think so, but I don’t. Oh, and anyone who talks about getting the next sony console before any of the rest because it will be the best is a hopeless fanboy who needs to actually see what shit is coming out before they actually start proclaiming a leader.

I love console games to death, but I really hate most the people who play them because they don’t think before they speak.

If that was directed at me, let me clarify:

When I compare the consoles today, it is my opinion that the PS2 library is superior. I did the same when I purchased my PS. If things continue the way they are, since we are speculating here, I do not see a reason to get anything other than a PS3, IMO. :)

“I don’t see a need to buy anything other than a GeForceFX next time around because the first four GeForce’s were the bomb.” - Tyjenks, mid-2002.

Am I wrong?

Yes, and you’re gay.

“I don’t see a need to buy anything other than a Voodoo 5 next time around because the Voodoo2 0wned!”

:lol: OK. That definitely was not me.

Hahaha, no, not just you! Hehe.

Anyway, some people like the PS2 best. Some like the GameCube the best. And some like the Xbox the best. In the end who cares? I have my favorites for various reasons but it doesn’t mean everyone else is wrong. Hell, I know Voltaic loves the GameCube for numerous reasons, but I don’t think I’ve ever chastised him for it. It’s cool to know people who like systems other than the one(s) you like because then you’re exposed to them more.

As far as which next generation system is going to be the best… well shit. Who would have predicted that the Genesis was going to be better than the SNES (for a time at least)? If we were to just base our opinions of future systems off the the previous generation then that means the Genesis sucks, the Saturn rocks, and the Dreamcast sucks. Oh, and not to mention the fact that the Playstation totally sucks because a media giant like Sony doesn’t know a goddamn thing about making videogames, right?

But, there is an ability to look at the past practices of a company and predict the future acts of a console maker:

Nintendo is stubborn, and shuns third party support like the sun shuns the thought of shutting down it’s nuclear reactions; Microsoft would like to think it can win thinks on a pure feature scale, but refuses to realize the plain, cold hard fact that it’s only #1 in the software industry because Windows is on everybody’s machine, we actually HAVE a choice as to if we want an Xbox, and performance numbers won’t make us buy it alone; Sony refuses to believe that anyone else can design a better console, and believes that through buying up all the exclusives from companies and putting out under-performing machines it can continue to dominate the market.

Nintendo survives on it’s first party games, but is starting to lose grip when those games don’t sell. Now that it’s losing ground on it’s other key players (Pokemon) it’s really losing ground. Sega tried to jump the gun technologically, and they did with the Sega CD for the most part, but they didn’t anticipate what users would want. FMV? Come on, guys, we want games, not movies! Etcetera.

I just don’t see how, after Sony’s blunder of a console that was the PS2, that the PS3 will be a worthy investment. Sony has the best games, and the most games, but it won’t go anywhere if the PS3 is a let-down in the actual console. The Xbox and the GameCube are about where they should be software-wise, and if the next consoles are as good as one would believe, then everything will be on equal ground, and no one will have an advantage over the other.

Fanboys might be the deciding factor in the next generation of consoles. People like Tyjenks will certainly help the PS3, but for everyone else who actually has a shred of sanity and would rather see if the car lives up to the advertisement, shall we say, then normal people will buy the better console. If everything is on equal ground because of hardware/software/design decisions, then I don’t think Sony will win the war. Every giant falls, and, like it or not, it’s Sony’s turn.

The Gamecube controller is the best, IMHO. Also on their respective launch dates, I thought the GC had the best launch titles (in particular, I was ultra-hyped for Luigi’s Mansion, Sanity’s Requiem, and Rogue Leader, all of which turned out sweet). Since then, however, I haven’t seen alot of titles I can’t do without on the GC. I want to play all the platformers like Donald Duck and Casper and so on, but I’m not dying.

I had alot of trouble with the original XBox controller, because I have small hands. Since I bought an XBox S-Controller, though, it isn’t so bad. Halo, Amped, JSRF (excellent!), Splinter Cell, and Tony Hawk 4 are moving the XBox as my console of choice, as far as titles I love or must play.

On the PS2 there are a few games I’m dying to play. Twisted Metal Black, Ninja Gaiden, Stuntman, and Tenchu look damn nice. But I’m not dying nearly as much to play those.

I think it’s funny how people were calling the DC a next-generation console back when the X and GC were launching even thought it was like 4 years old. I mean did anyone NOT think that both X and GC would be better than the 4 year old DC? Christ. GMicek talks about console fanboys; ladies and gentlemen, I give you those guys.

I won’t argue with you about Sony’s domination of the market–that much is pretty clear. But I really doubt this is the reason. The PS2 controller is the most godawful gamepad I’ve ever used. The Xbox and Gamecube combined may not come close to matching Sony’s market share, but they both have much more comfortable controllers.

Let me clarify my non gay point by saying that the only console I own is an xbox, and I’m mightily disappointed by the thick veil of dust on it.

Allow me to further clarify by saying anyone that said Microsoft would blow it was right. That anyone who said the library of Sony was what really mattered was right. And that Dave Long was right to love his Nintendo, and that everyone who gave him shit was wrong to do so, myself included. Who’s with me?? Come on wumpy, I know you agree with me, but you’re too embarrassed to admit it.

Dreamcast may have been hailed as the 1st of the next gens, but the quality of its games in terms of graphics/technology does not compare to games on the big 3. To me, PS2 was first out the door. I think Sony is gunning to truly be the 1st out the door this time around.

Take a step back for a second, and look at the big picture…

One thing this thread clarifies is the fact that this console war is closer than any other in history. Never have console fans been so polarized over which machines suck and which ones rock. There’s at least one system out there that every console fan is gonna be able to enjoy, and maybe some fans will be able to enjoy 2 or all 3 of the systems.

…and that, IMO, is a good thing.