Consoles alive & well, Alex St. John domed

Obnoxious self-serving anti-console blowhard (*) Alex St. John of WildTangent infamy has resigned as CEO, following the layoff of 20% of the company’s total staff and the closing of the internal development team WildTangent Game Studios. They will remain in the publishing business, however. Even worse, St. John might keep writing editorials.

(*)

WildTangent? Who?

Sigh, another ambiguous new-revenue-model casual-ish muddled startup bites the dust. WildTangent had a propensity for… well… wild tangents.

This is a shame. They did good work.

Yes, Sealife Safari is certainly the best Pokémon Snap reskin I’ve played.

They did? When?

Well, I’m not saying they deserve awards for best development or anything. But I first took notice of them when, for a brief time, WildTangent was bundled with AIM, and I was surprised by a couple of their titles. More recently, Fate was good. I don’t think PC gamers should laugh at the death of any PC developer, really.

I was surprised back when WildTangent was bundled with practically everything, and popups constantly spammed my desktop until I uninstalled it. I’m sure they’ve changed since then, but to hell with them.

Wildtangent had some pretty despicable software that ran all the time whether you ran their game or not. WhenI tried to uninstall their desktop spamming stuff I could no longer laucnh the game I’d purchased from them (Fate). At that point I decided I woudl never buy another Wild Tangent game again.

Mr. St. John was an absolute jerk about the intrusive nature of their software/copy protection whatever you want to call it. He did not care people wanted to run a clean system and shouldn’t have to have his software running all the time (it wasn’t like steam where you could load the STEAM app just at game launch… and of course they didn’t give you the option).

His response to the issues above? If you don’t want to see my software, don’t buy our games. I never stuck around to see if he ever changed their model… did they? I’m still a PC die-hard but his attitude on torhcing your system was one of pompous arrogance.

I’m a little sad now that there will (probably) never be a Fate 2. I think the only reason I’m not playing Fate at this very moment is because I just wiped my computer and I don’t want that hideous WildTangent shit on my computer.

WT is the exception that confirms the rule.

WildTangent Game Console is bundled on 64% of consumer PC’s in North America

Mighty glad now that I don’t live there!

As a resident anti-console PC-only nazi, let me just say: GOOD RIDDENCE WILD TANGENT! ALWAYS HATED YOU!

They dumped some always-on spyware onto my system along with the Fate demo. Good riddance to them.

The University of Washington cable channel has a “local business leaders” interview show done by a professor that is actually pretty interesting. St. John was a guest once and you could tell he was just the annoying jackass type. He apparently has some brilliance to him, and his fearless attitude has helped him at times, but it has also burned him. Definately not a guy that takes criticism well.