CONTROL - (Remedy Entertainment and 505 Games)

Ah yeah I didn’t either.

It works as that, but I suspect they might also be riffing on a very specific and…unfortunate thing:
https://twitter.com/katupummi/status/1166683048479481858

The Threshold Kids segments were hilariously weird. I love Uncle Mister Bones.

Beginning of the game (almost). Does anyone remember where to go? I’ve been around and around on the map 20 times, I can’t find anywhere for me to progress.

“Central Executive” highlighted in yellow there would seem to be where they want me to go, both from a visual perspective and the minimap highlighting. But no, there’s just an inverted pyramid in there in a red room, and the stairs on both sides are blocked off, so it seems to be a dead end.

The Director’s Office also looks like it has a hallway that should be leading left out of it on the minimap, but there’s just a wall there, no passageway or hallway.

That might be where you need to get into an elevator? I remember early in the game getting stuck and feeling dumb and eventually realizing I was supposed to step into an elevator and press the button. Could that be where you’re at? It’s shortly after talking to the janitor for the first time.

-Tom

Yeah, that maps looks very early. You’ve opened up Central Executive so must have talked to Emily.

You may need to go to the Mail Archive (Dead Letters I think it’s called) or head to the Elevator. Those are the first two “missions” and I can’t remember which one you do first. I think Dead Letters is first.

You need to go to Dead Letters for sure. (Northern area with all the ??? icons is the first area after the prologue)

There should be a door on the ground floor right where the inverted pyramid is that will take you there. Did you already open the safe room and talk to Emily? It doesn’t look like it.

Your map with spoilers

Yes, it sounds like he hasn’t rescued Emily in Central Executive.

The map doesn’t have the 3 dot icon that represents a fast travel point in Central Executive, so sounds like you need to cleanse the control point in that area, especially if the stairs are blocked off. Should just be a button prompt in the center of the room.

See:

Executive_Sector

(I just started playing this last week after FC 6 and am about halfway through the campaign now)

EDIT: Yep, here it is.

Oh, you can jump over the ledge?

I see!!!

So you went to ledge and looked at the inverted pyramid and thought it was a dead end?

Yes, I also tried over and over to use the stairs on the left and right of the ledge, but they’re blocked off.

I’m looking forward to jumping back into the game this weekend. I took a break after reaching what I felt was a decent milestone and went back into my latest Skyrim game for a change of pace. (I found me some nice Creation Club armor yesterday, too!) Anyway, Control is awesome. I love the Dharma Initiative-style videos from Dr. Darling. And I like that I can customize the difficulty so that I can just enjoy this wonderful, weird environment.

On my second playthrough, I cranked the difficulty down to baby mode during the boss fights and especially the finale. I had no desire to replay those. Normally, I think choose-your-own difficulty is a cop-out on the part of developers, but I have to admit I was happy to have it for my second time around.

-Tom

Ouch!

Hey, at least I didn’t use god mode! Because that was an option!

-Tom

I didn’t even know you could change the difficulty. Is that something they added later?

Yup. They added a bunch of toggles in a late update that basically allow you to tune the difficulty way down, even down to having god mode.

Makes sense. I played on the original difficulty and died dozens upon dozens of times. Really easy to die a shitton. I can imagine many people gave up.

My wife loved it. She’s utter crap at shooting, so the combat was nigh impossible for her. She whipped on god mode with no guilt and played it for the story and the environments.