Controller or KB/M?

Mostly KB/M, but depends on the game

Me too.

It’s about the right tool for the right job. In FPS games a controller’s sluggishness and lack of precision drive me nuts, so KBM for me there. For most games with a vehicle, gamepad. Elite: Dangerous I’ll only play with a HOTAS.

Yeah, I do deliberately seek out gamepad games when I’m having wrist and finger issues. Different stresses is helpful. (Or I just let them rest entirely and watch videos instead.)

I use whatever works best for me, fps is M/K, racing and space is gamepad or joystick, the rest depends.

I have no problem using a controller for anything, but I prefer KB/M with first/third person shooters.

I do not appreciate the corruption of the sacred shit bonerz in this poll. Some things should not be messed with.

I guess I should respond to the actual thing though.
For Star Citizen, I fly around with a KB/M, and it works extremely well. For Elite Dangerous, I’m on the PS4 and so I use a controller.

For Elite, it works well enough in that you can’t actually aim gimballed weapons manually, so you don’t have the advantage a mouse gives in those cases. The biggest problem is not having enough buttons, compared to a keyboard, so you end up having everything be combinations of buttons. That being said, it works pretty well for most stuff. The interface is kind of clunky though.

I have a KB/M and controller on my PC.

I have a controller and KB/M on my Xbox One via the XIM Apex. “Soon” Microsoft is supposed to allow developers to include KB/M support on the Xbox as well.

What I use depends on the game. Right tool for the job.

Mostly KB/M, however I do use a controller for the Dark Souls games and if I were to pick up the Assassin’s Creed games I would try the controller.

With any shooter or old style game I just prefer the KB/M.

Using a KB/M on consoles is essentially cheating in things like shooters, given that it gives you such an immense advantage over players who aren’t spending a good chunk of money to have a different control scheme.

The precision offered by the XIM, even with it having to go through the gamepad emulator they have, is still a huge advantage in shooters. When you watch folks play with it, they’re doing stuff that is just not really possible, and also have the added advantage of getting the aim assist that is for gamepads… so you get a KB/M setup, with aim assist, which is nuts.

Both!

Basically that just reminds me that the reason I still don’t have access to a standard KB/M combo on a console is because all those racist teenage multiplayer shooter idiots could cheat with it…

Just let me play my game in peace the way I want to. And get off my lawn!

(sorry, grumpy old man here who obviously can’t hack it with the leet gamer crowd anymore)

Controller for Console. KB/Mouse for PC. Platform dependent, folks. It’s not an and/or question.

But some of y’all are old!

[Stares at @RichVR]

I thought you were still using this, Grandpa

http://s1.lprs1.fr/images/2013/01/22/2502441_pong-console_1000x625.jpg

If the platform actually just supported that natively, it would be less cheating than the XIM, because then at least it would be like PC games where they give you aim assist depending on the input method… So using a controlpad on your PC will give you aim assist, but using a mouse and keyboard will not.

It’s actually why there are some dirtbags who take a XIM, and connect it to a PC, in order to get the aim assist on top of the mouse and keyboard… although in some games, you can get the effect merely by plugging a gamepad into the system.

I recognize that this isn’t the actual motivation for many. For some, they’re talking about playing single player games. Whatever. Do whatever you want. But if you’re playing a competitive game, using a device like the Xim? That’s pretty shitty.

I guess on some level, I could get one too because I can afford one, but given that I play console games from my couch, I wouldn’t really want to.

If I’m gonna sit at a desk and play a game, then why not just play it on the PC?

I use both. I used to be a pretty strict KB/M guy except for flight sims, but my wrists started to really feel it. Now I divvy it up according to genre to give my wrists a break, and I find it works well:
FPS - M/KB
RTS & TBS - M/KB
Isometric/over the shoulder - gamepad
Platformer - gamepad
Casual/puzzle - M/KB
Flight Sim - stick

I didn’t even think about it, but speaking of watching, I may spend more time, or at least as much time, watching cool people play than I spend playing nowadays.
This poll needs a fourth option “I watch others play”.

So far the cool kids are winning!

I typed that with my M/KB. Try that with your newfangled consoles ;-)

You mean phones and tablets right? What kind of dinosaur still reads a forum on a PC?

(that’d be me obviously…)

https://i.imgur.com/dqiWtt0.jpg