Convey Your Musical Taste To Us

Pistols at dawn, sir!

IMG_8055

Great idea @ArmandoPenblade. I’m going to make a playlist on Spotify of songs that have inspired me. Great way to get insight into a person!

Nice idea and a thought exercise I put myself through a couple of years ago when an American friend said ‘Gregg, what the fuck do you listen to?’ after I said I wasn’t a fan of the The Smiths and, I dunno, Cyndi Lauper or something. (Morrissey’s voice often does my head in, as does Lauper’s.)

I compiled my list on Youtube for accessibility and range (some stuff you can’t find on Spotify and Google Music). The downside is some videos get pulled. I’ll look into updating it and posting it here and will have a listen to other people’s submissions too. Metal’s such a massive genre and I’ve only explored tiny pockets of it.

My musical tastes are embarrassingly bad. Maybe not Brian Eno bad, but it’s getting there. But let me make a Spotify list and share the embarrassment!

Now wait a minute.

Sorry Brian [“Gregg”]!

I dont have a playlist set but this is pretty much my taste:

That is a gorgeous collection. I’m always amazed at how consistently TMB are left off people’s lists for great bands of that era, or are just reduced to “Nights in White Satin.” I always slightly preferred To Our Children’s Children’s Children to A Question of Balance, but they’re both great, great records.

And now that I’m finally back at a desk, I can start digging into other people’s playlists more fully. While I had a very pleasant movie night with some of my best friends in the world last night, in the back of my head, I was occasionally thinking back to this thread. . .

Love Anderson, Buford, Wakeman, & Howe, Brother of mine!

My favorite Moody Blues, though, has to be Sur la Mer.

Oh man, I love Roger Dean’s artwork.

Funny you should ask! I’ve been working on a playlist like that for years with one favorite song per artist.

It’s always a work in progress but just recently I’ve added a bunch of new stuff and right now it’s at 444 tracks. Gah!

But it’s such a fun project, exploring my old vinyl, cassette, CDs, and mp3s to remember great artists and songs I haven’t heard in ages and adding new favorites all the time. Sticking it on shuffle is just the best. Here it is!

@charmtrap has a good one too! Still waiting for @triggercut… if he builds it, I will come.

I am working on the mixtape of mixtapes.

And it isn’t even my mixtape, technically. ;)

There’s a good chance no one but me will care, but this is one of those “I want to hear this, and it doesn’t exist, so I’m going to build a 1,000 song mixtape, 20 songs at a time.”

I came prematurely!

It happens to the best of us.

Sadly, Spotify is inadequate to my playlist/mix needs, so I’m having to make this damn thing manually. And also having to research it. So, slow going…

Holy moly. Is it 20 songs a year for the past 50 years or some such?

It’s really frustrating when Spotify doesn’t have a track I want but they seem to be adding more all the time. I recently added at least 5 or 6 that I know weren’t available when I first started this playlist.

Goddammit I get like halfway through @moss_icon’s excellent BBQ jams and @rrmorton drops like 500 damned songs on my head :)

Oh yeah, that old thing! That was years ago (god, 2012…were we really ever so young and carefree and innocent?).

I haven’t kept mine up like you have, rr (ahem). It definitely needs a spruce up and a shine and a few rethinks. Maybe an entire re-do is in order…some things that need to be added that I’ve become enthusiastic about since then, and a few things that should probably sadly recede into a misty memory. I’ll take a whack at it and post the link here in a day or two.

The downside of my damnable “great song to introduce via” rule is that in trying to add My Chemical Romance, a screamo band whose early work I have a lingering fondness for, I am probably kept away from the really great tracks on their first (and by far best) album, I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love like “Vampires Will Never Hurt You” and “Headfirst for Halos,” since the production on that record is just absolutely abysmal.

. . . so it looks like “The Jetset Life is Gonna Kill You.”

Not that the production on Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge is all that much better than Bullets. . .

Double-post cuz fuck the law:

@moss_icon I really dug the little snippet of Archers of Loaf on there in particular. They fit into the category of “strained male vocals over energetic and/or emotional rock,” a faux-genre I’ve made up to explain why I simultaneously love Muse, AFI, My Chemical Romance, The Offspring, Rise Against, and atmospheric black metal for almost exactly the same reasons.

I welcome further contributions of this vein at any time :-D