Convey Your Musical Taste To Us

Archers of Loaf were one of my favorite bands. I keep their albums on near constant rotation, nobody was quite like them.

I should check out Archers of Loaf… never have for some reason even though I really like Crooked Fingers and Eric Bachmann’s solo stuff. Separation Fright was one of my favorite songs of last year.

https://open.spotify.com/track/3L5IWbDauZbI8WmOo95ZZZ

@wumpus What’s up with Discourse and Spotify links? Seems like they only get formatted into those handsome boxes about half the time.

It’s not strictly my favourite music of all time, as it’s specifically for putting on at parties. There’s a lot less Dylan, Beatles, reggae/ska, 90s hip hop and especially 60s soul than I would have on an all-time list, but it’s representative of my taste in mostly contemporary music.

Possibly only youtube has the combination of music I have listened to over 35 years and combing through this lot would be tricky.

1983 Electro > Pop > 1988 House > 1989 Acid > 1990 quick goth phase and Cure concert > 1990 Hardcore > 1991 Belgian nubeats > 1992 Jungle > Darkside > Happy Hardcore > 1994 House > Garage > 1994 Prog House > Goa Trance > Trance > 2000 Drum and Bass > 2004 New Wave Of American Metal > Melodic Death Metal > Folk Metal > 2013 Dubstep > D&B > Hardstep > Techstep > Liquid D&B > Melodic vocal dubstep > 2017 Asian folk metal > girls J-Metal > Visual Kei

Many overlap of course.

and a smattering of classical, folk, OSTs, motown classics etc scattered throughout.

I might try and put together a playlist if i have a spare few hours I like this thread. What makes it tricky is that all bar metal are 12" / single based and barely a band name or album amongst it.

Looking over my playlist from 2012, it’s pretty awesome if I do say so. I may tinker with it a bit, but no reason not to link it I guess…

Looking through @thraeg’s list I have deicded we’re the same person if I’d never gotten into electronic music genres or kpop. Aso <3 for the Wilderun and Aether Realm drops :). Also maybe Royal Thunder–can’t remember if I intro’ed you to them or vice versa.

And onwards! You guys are cool people.

Also, that list of genres sounds awesome, @playingwithknives, and at some points I kinda wondered if you were secretly my gf.

90-94 i bought a lot of vinyl every week. I need to insure it tbh. It could be the playlist on any number of pirate stations on air or net. Every classic from the birth of UK dance/rave music. I have a cheap record player and these days I dont even want to grind that awful needle over my collection heh. Why havent 1200s got cheap yet. 40 years and barely a price drop, even second hand.

Listen to the complete discography of Electric Six, then we can talk.

Still working on my Spotify playlist to share with you guys. Up to 100 songs so far. I’m trying to cap out at 2-3 max per band. I’m also limiting to songs with the criteria of “hugely influential in my life at some point” or “will always listen to the entire song if it came up randomly”. I almost want to annotate my selections.

icky mettle is a banger of an lp.

i suppose you couldn’t go wrong with some jawbreaker, superchunk, jawbox, polvo, unwound, mission of burma, hot snakes / drive like jehu…

god the 90s were good (yes i know mission of burma was not 90s)

oh and, erm, moss icon. (not me, the band i nicked the name from)

I’ve also been a big Archers fan for a long time, and in addition to the previous recommendations, I highly recommend their album The Speed of Cattle. It’s got tunes from multiple albums and the overall feel is closer to their live shows. I was just listening to it yesterday and I still haven’t heard anyone else who has quite the same sound.

And speaking of live shows, here’s an hour of one from the way back machine. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone from this forum was actually at that show (but sadly, I wasn’t).

Have Spotify links ever done anything? I can’t recall seeing them. I am sure music licensing makes this maximum painful somehow, since that is the way these things usually go.

Armando’s first post in this thread uses (I think) the same kind of URL that I did in my post and his got boxed while mine didn’t.

Mine didn’t when I posted it, but it did when I went back and edited it so… ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Ok I had a lot of fun putting this together. And now I’ve been listening to it on shuffle all the time so it’s WIN WIN.

Disclaimer: This is largely metal, but also has random favorite songs from my youth (e.g. Michael Jackson thriller) so you will probably wonder what kind of insanity is the basis for the list.

I intend on further adding/tweaking this playlist. I’m really enjoying evaluating songs from my past.

Over the last several days, I listened through the entire @ArmandoPenblade playlist. Good stuff, Randy! I was particularly happy to hear Type O Negative, Savatage, and Fear Factory on the way through. Now I’ll have to go back and check out some of the other stuff by all those bands that I didn’t recognize immediately.

How do you guys see the Spotify links? Is there a way to tell Windows to open those links in the Spotify program instead of opening a login webpage?

I believe that would require us to use a different link, the Spotify URI:

spotify:user:armandopenblade:playlist:0In5uqLwh5jLx6mcTRbmSj

(which Discourse does not make into a clickable link–help, @wumpus)

@ineffablebob thanks, man! All three really blazed a path through different points of my life. If you dug Type O, be sure to dig a little more into Woods of Ypres from the list; they’re the closest I’ve come to scratching that same itch (and were sadly shuttered by the tragic death of their vocalist, so. . . yeah).

@vesper looking forward to listening :-D. I am amused by the fact that even though you’ve got like 30 songs on me, your playlist is barely longer than mine. . . I really like epic tracks >.>

Now that I’m home from camping, I plan on working up my list.

You have no idea, bwhahahahaha.

The first song is 23 minutes, A Change of Seasons by Dream Theater. The second is either Sapphire or Love Kills Us All/ Life in One Day by Redemption. Both clock over 10.

I’ll probably spread my top 10 throughout, otherwise it will be like 2.5 hours in the first 10 songs :P

10 of my tracks top 10 minutes; 20 over 8. . .

I feel they’re appropriately balanced out by the two songs under 3 minutes, though!