Convey Your Musical Taste To Us

I’m just going to randomly guess, since I haven’t made it yet, but I bet I have at least 5 songs topping 20, and if I have less than 1/4 of the list 10+ minutes I’d be shocked.

Prog rock and metal, y’all. They go for the long game.

Jesus Christ, I haven’t put together a playlist since I was in high school trying to impress some girl. But you “epic song” dudes need a counterweight from the punk end of the spectrum, if you can’t get in and out of a song in two minutes then you ain’t got nothin’ worth saying.

Shit, son, I got songs that say nothing in the first two minutes. That’s just the intro.

@ArmandoPenblade it is interesting to me where some of our convergences are. I’m debating whether I put a song you did, like The Sixth Extinction, or use another by Ayeron, for example.

But how can you use Savatage and not be Hall of the Mountain King, Gutter Ballet, or Morphine Child!

EDIT: Morphine child IS NOT ON SPOTIFY! Bastards.

Hole in one; it’s their best song by far, and you could really feel the shift toward Trans-Siberian Orchestra in tracks like that, but still with the metal edge. . . alas :(

Heyyyyy, I’ve got Bad Religion, AFI, Offspring, Billy Talent, and Anti-Flag in there!

</90sPunkPoser>

I wasn’t sure whether it would be a good fit for this thread, but my contribution…

Going through this exercise I was surprised by the number of songs I couldn’t find on Spotify. I’m used to some artists not being there (Tool), but for example a chunk of Fear Factory’s catalog is missing - right in the middle of their existence. I assume it was a label switch at that time that Spotify doesn’t have a deal with. Frustrating though when songs I’m looking for aren’t there.

The complete absence of the front 2/3 of Blind Guardian’s catalogue on streaming services is maddening. K-pop availability is still hit or miss, and unsurprisingly mashup artists are almost nonexistent apart from Girl Talk and DJ Shadow. I’m still depressed controller.controller never wound up on any service.

I sometimes forget how dire it can still be due to my heavy usage of my own Google Play Music account, which has thousands of tracks from my old collection uploaded. Sure, that’s resulted in some tagging horrors on some artists/albums, but it also fills in most of the gaps.

@triggercut This looks super cool and would probably help fill in a ton of gaps in my own knowledge. Dad had a very, err, particular set of interests in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, so while I picked up on my own in the 90s, I’m missing a lot from the earlier eras that I never went back and dug into. I look forward to poring over this :-D

First experiences using Spotify: not bad. Working well.

Hour 1: ok I’m listening to songs more than making a playlist, but that’s fine. Some missing, but generally good

Hour 2: Ok, they’re half missing, but I’m too busy rocking to Glorious Burden to care

Hour 3: these missing songs and albums are really starting to chap my ass. Perhaps I should just use YouTube like I initially was planning.

That’s what I’ve done in the past for exactly those reasons. Granted, you’ll make the playlist and some vids will be pulled but at least you’ll get what you want, and possibly a decent video to go with it!

Yeah, but all the cool kids* are using Spotify, there’s a reason for that, right?

*none of us lot, but whatever.

I dabbled with Spotify before settling on Google Music for its machine learning, amusing playlists and greater selection (including more game soundtracks). The family library of games was just gravy! I hear YouTube Red is pretty good, if only for screen-off listening but, alas, 'tis not available in the UK.

…and now I can’t find certain tracks on YouTube.

Not making the cut, though this band is, but linking it because its a 13 minute music video

also its about the recent troubles in Brazil, so that’s noteworthy.

but they are one of the best Dream Theater successors out there.

You need to get OUT OF MY HEAD, @Vesper! 90% of this was on my cassettes and CDs in the late 80s and 90s. Heck, I remember ripping many of these very songs off those CDs when I was first moving to digital music.

I browsed through it too, hey @Vesper I see repeat bands buddy ;), and there is a few crossovers as well. Different songs though in almost every case but Metallica.

I am, however, stalling out in the 60’s. The first 50+ were super easy, but as I start going further I start running out of bands that jump to mind.

That’s where the Related Artists section comes in handy!

That’s probably a reasonable point to stop, then! I did a “Top 100 Bands of All Time” ranking earlier this year and some of the bottom 20 or so is really kinda scraping the barrel.

But as soon as I say that, I realized about a dozen bands I forgot.

I thought I was about to be, but then I got a second wind, so to speak, and put it to 80. Gonna mull it a bit more, then post it.

And final tally is 82. I maybe missed a few, but I’m fairly happy with it.

EDIT: as a died in the wool metalhead, I probably threw a few unexpected twists in there for people like @ArmandoPenblade. And now I realize a few more I forgot. Time to up the count and add in more.

Yeah, I went more with what felt like important/favorite songs of mine and for some of the bigger bands this requires repeats. I listened to a LOT of Slayer, Anthrax, and Metallica over the years.