Convey Your Musical Taste To Us

Let’s do this.

…9 hours of tunes so, uh, enjoy! Or not. I used Google Music because YouTube was missing more than expected, and I’m not on Spotify.

Edit: Spotify version here.

Firstly, I’ve kept my list to 100 tracks just to keep things trim, one track per artist. Secondly, I’ve avoided adding tracks where I’m unfamiliar with much else by that artist, otherwise I’d be here forever. Thirdly, in some cases I’ve gone for deeper cuts that I love rather than the more familiar tunes. That said, there are some classics in there too that I couldn’t resist, as well as some ‘oldies’ that represent a past musical love affair. I’ve also tried to order the tracks so that they flow well and make for an interesting journey so… don’t shuffle the list! Some fun has been had with artist/track name juxtapositions too.

A few other things: I wanted to add more game soundtracks because I listen to lots but even on Google Music the range is somewhat restricted. For whatever reason, The Datsuns’ eponymous debut isn’t on there so I couldn’t include Freeze Sucker unfortunately.

This has been a lot of fun mulling over so thanks for the suggestion @ArmandoPenblade. Anyway, time to start listening to some of these other lists…

I don’t really understand how this works. It’ll only play samples unless I own the songs on Google?

… and it doesn’t actually play the sample you pick but an album adjacent sample?

I think that’s if you choose “Radio”. If you press the start button next to the playlist title, it plays the actual tracks, but only minute-long clips.

Unfortunately, that’s the best I can do with Google Music. Now I’ve got the order sussed I might try and get a playlist on Youtube set up.

I didn’t realise it played… adjacent album samples?

Edit: ah, @charmtrap might be right. Just hit the play button at the top or over the track thumbnails.

I feel like Grandparent describing this in such a clueless way, buy when i hit the three dots next to buy and select Start Radio it plays a random track from the artist, but not the song listed, and apparently not even from the album… (the first couple times i tried it only played stuff from the same album, probably by chance).

Anyway… thanks for trying geggis! Some of this stuff looks up my alley.

Yeah, I don’t think you can just play individual tracks. You have to play the playlist from the start. Which makes it a little harder.

You should probably just give in and Spotify, @geggis.

Yeah, you don’t want to start a radio, just the playlist.

@charmtrap: …I knew this would happen! :-) I’ll sort a YouTube list later or try Spotify. Hang on, Spotify’s free isn’t it? But with ads?

Yep. Free with ads, or $10 a month, though I think they have 2-month free new user special…something like that.

Okay, here’s a Spotify version of my list! That was painless and both services had total parity on the tracks selected. I’ve got to say, I think I prefer the interface on Spotify now I’m familiar with Google Music’s… ‘quirks’. I may have to give it another shot at some point.

Good playlist, Gregg! Thanks.

It’s remarkable how relevant this album is, 23 years later. Here is the first track:

…and here is the last track of Massive Attack’s surprising Heligoland. I stumbled upon it quite by accident in 2015, started listening, and realized ‘hey, this is really good. It’s telling a story, kind of like Mezzanine’. Here is the final track:

Fuckin hell Massive Attack are so good. Saw them perform at Moogfest about 8 years ago and it was a ludicrously amazing experience.

While this is hardly an exhaustive look at my musical tastes, here’s a playlist I put together for my 19 month old daughter.

So I am currently working a second, seasonal desk job. Between the person sitting next to me and some other noise I decided I need music and so I went out and got me a MP3 player and put 28 albums on it Saturday afternoon. Mostly old rock but there is some stuff from the last 10 years.

I was amazed that those 28 albums only used about 10% of the memory. I will probably put some more on this coming weekend.

I know, you are thinking why not use my phone, but I still have an old 3G flip phone.

This doesn’t really fit the prompt, but I’m not sure where else I could put it. It’s possible that this is completely uninteresting.

In Spotify, I’ve collected a lot of music from the weekly Discover playlists. For a couple of years, I listened to that playlist every Monday. Most weeks, I would only save one or two songs. Some weeks I would save almost half the list. For every song I saved, I would check out the artist’s page and check out their other stuff. Every now and then, I would find an artist that had a ton of stuff I liked. Most of the time, though, the song that Spotify presented to me was the only thing I would like from the artist.

Because of this, I usually didn’t spend any headspace memorizing the artist or even the song names. So, when I got a song stuck in my head and wanted to listen to it, it was this arduous process of scrolling through my saved songs in reverse chronological order trying to find it.

So today, I went through my saved songs one last time and put everything fitting that criteria into one playlist. Now, even if I can’t remember the names or artists, I can at least have a much shorter list to paw through. So while it’s not quite “Bradley: A Life Told Through Music,” it is “Songs Spanning Many Genres That Bradley Thinks are Unique Among Their Artists’ Catalogs.” Maybe someone finds it interesting, maybe not. But since I went through the effort, I thought I might as well share.