Cool Kayne West remix

I’m not really a rap fan, but I found this remix of that Kayne West song “Golddigger” and I can’t stop listening to it. It’s a play off that famous “George Bush don’t like black people” quote ( so I hope this does’t get too P&R’d).

The main thing that popped into my head is that rap could be pretty damn entertaining if it got off the old ‘Gansta’ politics and delved into other stuff. Check it

You should probably listen to better rap.

You should probably listen to better rap.[/quote]

Will do! :) I remember the Roots from a few years ago. I can’t remember the song exactly, but they had one song that played on Live105 (S.F., Ca) alot that I turned up everytime it came on. I think that just with this song you get a hearty F U kinda reminiscent of The Exploited’s ‘Maggie’. I always love that kinda stuff.

Yeah

You should probably listen to better rap.[/quote]

Will do! :) I remember the Roots from a few years ago. I can’t remember the song exactly, but they had one song that played on Live105 (S.F., Ca) alot that I turned up everytime it came on.[/quote]

Probably The Seed. The new Roots album is amazing, btw.

Also, I didn’t mean to slag Kanye. He’s not bad. I’ll listen to this remix when I get home. All I meant was, you seem to be laboring under the impression that a lot of people are when it comes to rap and hip-hop: that it’s a bunch of uninspired, unintelligent gansta nonsense. There’s a lot of great stuff out there that, unfortunately, a lot of people just don’t know about.

It’s Kanye, not Kayne.

Just to flesh it out a little it’s not really a total Remix, it’s golddigger but with different lyrics (which by the title of the MP3 you can guess about what).

And yeah I’ll admit I’m someone who doesn’t know too much about non-‘Pop’ rap, I grew up to early punk and metal. I do love all kinds of music though, so any recommondations are Very appreciated!

I’ll just list some newer stuff, and stay away from like Run DMC and Public Enemy and other groups I’m sure you’ve heard of already. This is by no means exhaustive:

The [aforementioned] Roots - Probably the most intelligent and literate group in hip-hop today. The Tipping Point is one of the best rap albums ever.
MC Frontalot - Uneven, but his newer stuff is really good. Just some good fun.
mc chris - A lot of people slag on his style, but he’s a really good rapper, and his geek references are always fun.
Benefit - Can also be uneven sometimes, but when he’s on, he’s really on.
Ill Mitch - What the best rapper ever, the best skateboarder ever, and the best boxer ever were all one person? And what if he was maybe from Russia? You owe it to yourself to check Ill Mitch out.
Rip SLYME - Really, really good Japanese hip-hop band.

That should get you started. I could post more later, if you’re interested.

You were right, it was The Seed (Amazon.com may suck ‘Patently’, but I Love their song previews). Just cause I hate not supporting a band that does good work (kinda self-righteous sounding, sorry. I just believe in it) I’m gonna buy ‘Tipping’ blindly. Here’s hoping it isn’t the suckassness/badassness that was the first Slipknot CD. ;)
crosses fingers but whenever ‘intelligent’ and ‘literate’ are descriptive towords towards Any band, I’m there…

[quote=“croman”]

You were right, it was The Seed (Amazon.com may suck ‘Patently’, but I Love their song previews). Just cause I hate not supporting a band that does good work (kinda self-righteous sounding, sorry. I just believe in it) I’m gonna buy ‘Tipping’ blindly. Here’s hoping it isn’t the suckassness/badassness that was the first Slipknot CD. ;)
crosses fingers but whenever ‘intelligent’ and ‘literate’ are descriptive towords towards Any band, I’m there…[/quote]

Well, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed, unless you just have some aversion to rap music that makes you wretch no matter how good it is, which I guess some people do. But it’s lyrically deep and musically complex, the songs actually mean something, and it definitely has a lot of thought behind it. Oh yeah - and they’re a full band that actually plays all the instruments. In the rap world, that has to count for something.

Oh yeah, and if you click around on the Roots site, you can listen to a bunch of Tipping Point samples.

Also, listen to anything by MF Doom (and all his aliases) and K-Os, who does some pretty profound stuff.

Man this is rekindling my interest in submitting some no-doubt embarassing rhymes to Songfight.

Nope, as evidenced by the the first post I made here :). I really do like this new KW re-make song. I’m not being facetious or anything, this remake actually made this song for me ( which IMHO was a fairly generic rap song before ). And, as I think I can see you understanding, genre means crap as long as the song, well… just sounds good. Hell I like Electric Wizard, Lunachicks, Dead Horse, Entombed, Misfits, Fiona Apple, Deicide, Teengenerate, Gwar, Mazzy Star… etc…

(BTW, the Slipknot comment meant exactly as it sounded… I wasn’t bashing my genre against anybody. It’s just that that album epitomized the meaning of " one good song and 10 crappy others…" to me. I…Hate…Rap…Metal.)

Saul Williams and Common have some great stuff, too.

I think Kanye West’s main draw is his stage presence. He is a smooth brother. The symphony he uses in his shows is a nice touch too.

Agreed, Saul Williams gets a little too pretentious for my tastes on rare occasion, but for the most part he’s very compelling. And Common is just killing shit right now - him hooking up with Kanye West for beats is a perfect combination. Both of them are right up there with The Roots, and usually have better beats on their studio albums.

As far as that goes, I love The Roots live - best live rap act ever, in fact, so if you get a chance to catch their show, you should absolutely do so - but their studio beats are usually decent and nothing more. The fact that they actually perform most of their music on live instruments gives them the ability to greatly improvise at live shows, and they excel at it. But it also limits their studio beats. I actually think Phrenology is their best effort precisely because it marks the first time they weren’t afraid to use keyboards and sampling. Many of the beats on the earliest LPs strike me as totally average.

For non-poppy hip hop, check out pretty much anything on Rhymesayers… most notably Atmosphere and Brother Ali.

What’s odd is, I like Kanye despite the (IMO) fact that he’s a pretty bad MC. His flow sucks and he over-relies on gimmicky shit like raising his pitch for the last syllable of a word for a verse - that stuff usually annoys the hell out of me. But it doesn’t matter here. He’s simply too likeable, his beats are usually too damn great, and he’s an MC who writes a lot of politically/socially conscious material while still somehow attaining massive mainstream success, which is unheard of these days.

He may not be my favorite rapper ever, but frankly it’s either he or 50 Cent who will dominate the hiphop game for the forseeable future. I’d rather it be Kanye.

Plus, if he hooks up with Nas on any kind of permanent basis, maybe he can pull off the same thing he did for Common - provide perfect beats for someone who’s already hella-accomplished on the mic. The end result would likely be fantastic the way I think Common’s “Be” is. I’m glad to see Nas return to “Illmatic” form (well, nearly) on his last couple of LPs when it comes to lyrics, but his beats still mostly suck, and they drag down what might otherwise have become hiphop classics.

I wouldn’t say The Roots are the best live show evar!!!111one, but they are indeed excellent. I don’t have a problem with their studio stuff at all, though. But I do agree that some of their earlier stuff features beats that are kind of mundane, including the much-heralded Things Fall Apart. That’s probably why The Tipping Point is my favorite album of theirs. It uses a lot of the more intricate beats/samples that they started doing with Phrenology, but the writing is much, much stronger, and the record is a lot more solid.