Cool stuff about Discourse

Okay, but you’re seeing one now. And I’m still mystified why you want fewer options rather than more options. I mean, really, Discourse is already halfway there. Why does Discourse include the option to prevent users from editing posts after a certain period? If the software feels it’s important to limit that, why does it treat the subject header differently?

A user’s post belongs to him. A thread title belongs to everyone who participates and not just one person.

My analogies stand. I don’t announce a meeting and then change the address of the meeting randomly. I don’t hang out a shingle to advertise a town meeting and then swap it out for a different sign half way through the meeting. And if you need a data point, here’s one:

That thread used to have a different title. The guy who started the thread four years ago took it upon himself to change the title. So when I saw the new titles, I thought, “oh, cool, a new discussion about this game”. I clicked on it and discovered no such thing.

Furthermore, any external links to that thread are now broken because changing the title also changes the URL of thread. What if I’d linked to that thread from the front page, which has happened with numerous threads? What if someone linked it from an article that was maybe bringing us traffic? What if it was part of a wiki somewhere? I’d think you would understand the significance of that. You’re granting one participant in a discussion exclusive power to sever connections to the rest of the internet.

So there you go. You can now no long say you have virtually never seen any problem with this missing feature. I hereby give you one. There’s a reason it’s a feature in other software. I hope Discourse comes to understand the value in offering it as an option.

-Tom