Coolie hat -- racist?

[QUOTE=BaconTastesGood] it doesn’t actually predate the “tiger” form

The wikipedia entry claims that, but fails to cite any sources.

Wikipedia can’t be expected to cover all 750 years of American history.

Well, I can sadly say that in at least one small Wisconsin town, it was used instead of tiger well into the late 20th century.

Along with “Nigger Toe” instead of brazil nut, and a number of other things like that.

Fair enough, but neither did you!

Wikipedia articles are not supposed to contain any original research* (link). If the editor of wikipedia content fails to supply a source for an assertion, it’s an unsubstantiated, unverifiable claim. Much like most forum posts. :-)

• that’s why most college professors will punch you in the face for citing “wikipedia” as a source. Cite the original research, not the wikipedia middle-man.

Yeah, I would never let a student cite Wiki. But neither would I let them cite a personal revelation. ;)

And yes, in both cases I would punch the student in the face. Perhaps in the gut if I felt that the ugly might infect my hand.

But I was sincerely curious about your source, Roger. Was it just a personal observation, or did you hear it somewhere?

FYI for voters… this is an easy Shit, Bonerz! vote.

Yeah, I heard someone say it. I think the gimp master in Pulp Fiction. Of course, I’m not really sure which is the subversion. It could be either.

I was right! Or at least Wikipedia agrees, which admittedly isn’t the same thing.

I went to grade school in the late 60’s. The counting rhyme I used was “nigger”, and also “tiger”. That is to say, both versions were in use at that time in my school.

I think this makes a nice good distinction between offensive asnd inoffensive usage of ‘coolie’:

“The use of coolie to mean ‘an Asian laborer’ is not normally considered offensive as a word; it’s more the practice of imperialism it suggests that can be offensive. At this point it is found almost exclusively in historical use. Coolie is, however, used as a racist term to refer to ‘an Asian person’ (with no suggestion of laboring), especially in South Africa, and this use is of course quite offensive.”-random house word of the day.

So, ‘coolie hat’, not OK.
Writing your master’s thesis on workplace saftey of coolies under the Raj, OK.
That seems reasonable to me.

I really don’t know why no one bothered to look up what the hats are actually called. The hats are called “Takegasa” in Japan. Problem solved. You’re all welcome. 
                                                -Kuma

P.S. - If someone had already told everyone what they are called, I missed it and it’s my mistake

Why is part of your post in a box I have to scroll vertically to read?

No idea. I just posted on Chrome from my phone. Didn’t do anything different.

This is what I’m seeing, FYI.

Weird lemme look and see

I don’t know what it was. All I was saying is the the actual name of the hats, in Japenese, is “Takegasa”.

Which is good info, and my thanks for the knowledge drop!

It looks like you’re using a code tag instead of E.g. a quote tag. Code tags don’t automatically line-wrap.

If you type the word in google you can see the different styles that fall under that name.