Cop Shooting Thread

That’s the thing though… The problem isn’t simply cops shooting people. It’s cops shooting people when they don’t deserve it.

It’s silly to look at that Dylan kid, who had been involved in a high speed chase, and then actively antagonized cops, and even yelled at them to shoot him while making threatening movements… and a guy lying on his back with his hands in the air… and then describe them both as “unarmed victims of police violence”.

He was white and not severely autistic. He did what some of the black victims have done, not followed the cops orders. Did he, or they deserve to be shot, probably not. But it happens to whites as well.

Cops are to quick to shoot. And as violence against them ramps up it will probably only get worse.

Yeah, the idea that cops only shoot white people who are autistic was a joke.

It’s not a shooting, but this incident feeds into a lot of what we discussed here. Specifically the way police are encouraged through peer pressure and an us vs. them environment to cover stuff up.

[quote]
So we get the three troopers at the cruiser talking about what to do. Michael’s permit comes back as valid, they say “oh crap,” and one of the troopers says “we gotta punch a number on this guy,” which means open an investigation in the police database. And he says “we really gotta cover our asses.” And then they have a very long discussion about what to charge Michael with—none of which appear to have any basis in fact. This plays out over eight minutes. They talk about “we could do this, we could do this, we could do this….”

In Connecticut, police officers have clear requirements under the law to intervene and stop or prevent constitutional violations when they see them. But at no time did any of the three officers pipe up and say, “why don’t we just give him his camera back and let him go.”

In the end they decide on two criminal infractions: “reckless use of a highway by a pedestrian,” and “creating a public disturbance.” They have a chilling discussion on how to support the public disturbance charge, and the top-level supervisor explains to the other two, “what we say is that multiple motorists stopped to complain about a guy waving a gun around, but none of them wanted to stop and make a statement.” In other words, what sounds like a fairy tale.[/quote]

This will really never end huh.

Hands up… don’t shoot?

The footage—which
is graphic—depicts Crutcher slowly approaching his vehicle with his
arms raised. An officer follows him, pointing a gun at his back, and
shortly thereafter three more cops arrive. Crutcher lowers his hands and
walks to the driver’s side door of his car. Then, he abruptly
collapses, a blood stain spreading across his shirt as he lay prone on
the ground.

Ugh, that’s horrid. At least it seems like the mayor is wanting to bring the hammer down, calling for the shooters arrest.

I mean, these sound like horror stories to me, where the cops are the killer.

Imagine, your car breaking down in the middle of the road, nobody around, maybe calling someone on your phone for help to come pick you up, worried the car might catch fire, you get away from it as fast as you can. And the cops spot the vehicle and stop over. Good! The police! They can wait here with me while I get my car situation sorted out, maybe direct traffic. Oh, they are yelling at me from the cop car to get my hands up… ok… I am just trying to figure out my car situation… what the fuck is this shit? Yelling at me! I guess I will head back to the car with my hands up and stand there (assume the hands up on the car position)

Tasered, shot.

For being a “big bad dude” (Read: Large Black Man) who happened to have his car break down.

Fucking atrocious. More details - Warning Graphic Video will autoplay… pause it.

If you’re an able-bodied black male you can’t afford to even explain yourself / defend yourself to the police once they’ve drawn on you. It doesn’t fit their narrative for you. You’re a clear and present danger and any breath you waste trying to correct them or inform them about the situation may well be your last. (See also dude in the car in Minnesota informing the highly agitated officer that there is a gun in the glove box for which he is licensed so please don’t freak out…)

Even “big, bad dude” from the copter seems a bit surprised that officers fired shots. A taser was clearly the way to go on a guy with hands raised standing still.

New exciting ways to murder young black men!

Dehydration while being locked up in Prison!

Inmates told the Journal Sentinel that the water in Thomas’ cell had
been shut off for six days, and one inmate allegedly said to a guard,
“If something happens to that man, it’s your fault.”

“No one should ever die of dehydration. It just should never happen,” Erik J. Heipt,
a lawyer for the Thomas family, told The Huffington Post.

“They may well have had reason to turn off the water. There absolutely
could be reasons why you’d want to turn off someone’s water in their
cell. But to then not give them drinking water? That’s crazy,” Heipt
said. “To make a human being die of thirst, where they have no ability
to get their own water for survival, that’s pretty inhumane. It doesn’t get much worse than that.

Yup.

And who runs that particular jail?

David A. Clarke Jr., famous trump-humper

The Milwaukee County Jail is run by Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr., an outspoken Trump supporter
and critic of the Black Lives Matter movement. Clarke, who is
technically a Democrat, has become popular in conservative circles in
recent years for his specific criticism of President Barack Obama and
more general critiques of liberalism. A recent disclosure form revealed
that Clarke took in more than $150,000 in speaking fees, travel reimbursements and gifts in 2015.

Though, I guess being pro-trump earns you that paper, in speaking fees.

That’s straight up murder. Damn.

This looks bad.

It’s possible that the facts aren’t as they are reported in that article, but the situation as presented seems very bad.

Did we miss this one?

I honestly can’t even keep track of them anymore since there is like one every day or every other day.

Two more horrible killings again today. Literally sickening.

@JonRowe posted it.

The cops in Charlotte are saying the guy had a gun… Hopefully, they have some bodycams or something.

They have to claim that right. They need at least an attempt at justification.

Well, no, the guy in Tulsa didn’t have a gun, and the cops didn’t say he did.

I might have lost track of which one this is. I mean bb gun, wallet, book… there’s been a lot of claims of seeing a gun when there isn’t a gun present.

I believe the video is up to 25 now.

At least we can all rest assured that none of this kind of thing happened before BLM started getting all uppity.

:(

Things I’ve heard locally:

the cop who shot the guy was black.

The rioting in Charlotte was particuarly violent. No real protesting of the injustice, just raw rage. Plenty of threats of looting on the police scanners.

Things aren’t being helped by a recent NC law that gags bodycam footage. If they don’t release, people will assume a coverup.

I mean… peaceful protest has accomplished what lately? I can see why people are fed up. I’m a mid-western white dude and I’m fucking fed up and no one is likely to kill me for reading a book… ever.

The bodycam footage is a very bullshit law specifically to cause this kind of shit and cover it up. I mean what if the cops just shut off their cams, like they tend to do anyway since there is no penalty? Body cams and mics are basically useless. If they don’t provide evidence against a perp they magically “break” or “accidently” get turned off.