Cop Shooting Thread

When ones actions can end the life of another human being I feel the definition of ‘reasonable’ should be held to a far more narrow standard.

I agree, but if it’s a defendable decision, the officer shouldn’t be charged criminally- fired at most.

That said, there’s been defending of some indefensible decisions, and the system is massively rigged in favor of police and that also needs structural reform.

I think police killings (by police) should be a federal offense, and treated by a separate branch of the Attorney General that is independent of everything else so it’s out of local government’s hands.

Agreed. These incidents need to be taken out of the system so many don’t trust anymore. I mean I’m to the point where I don’t want the police to even have access to any footage before the public and another body of governance sees it. I don’t trust them. Right now they set the narrative, in some states the timing, and then release it.

Whoever was in the helicopter should be fired. He decided the man was being guilty for being big and black. He has no business near a mic after that.

This is worse than many shootings IMO, because there isn’t even an argument that their life was in danger or whatever. Just pure murder.

I don’t believe you can do that, as it would likely be viewed as a violation of the equal protection clause. If killing a person is made into a federal offense when a police officer does it, then it needs to be made into a federal offense when ANYONE does it. You can’t really make laws with the kind of focus that you are describing.

And you can’t really make murder into a federal offense, because then the federal government would be legally obligated to prosecute every murder case in the country.

This is why the federal government generally prosecutes local law enforcement for violation of civil rights.

I think this may be overstating it. Given the tone in the officer’s voice, I get the impression she’s freaking out. I think she may have done it accidentally.

This isn’t an excuse, but I don’t think it was a cold blooded murder. I think it’s more likely that it was poor training, and incompetence.

There is a big difference between when a police officer murders someone and an ordinary citizen. The ordinary citizen doesn’t have bunch of their buddies and pals giving them professional courtesy, probably doesn’t know the prosecutor, the mayor and everyone else too. The entire system is designed to get the police officer off, and as more and more of these cases are revealed, the public knows it.

Can you imagine how some of the conversations for these people who were slammed to the ground and brutalized would have went if there was no footage. What would have happened to the guy if those two police officers didn’t go back and simply talk about framing him. I guess we’ll see more broken phones now right?

They conditioned the public to believe the police over some random person being accused because hey the police are the good guys right… except now we’re seeing that’s not always true is it.

I’m just telling you, that I’m pretty certain that a law that made it a federal crime that only applied when one particular group of citizens performed an action, even when that action is identical to it being committed by another person, is going to be regarded as unconstitutional.

The fact that one guy has a big support structure in place to get him out of it, doesn’t really matter from the perspective of the constitutional law involved.

Of course, I’m not a lawyer, but I’ve read about this particular aspect of constitutional law before.

Just say its misuse of federal law enforcement funds to do this, and make that crime punishable as a murder or manslaughter then.

You can make just about anything constitutional through use of federal funds clauses.

I think this may be overstating it. Given the tone in the officer’s voice, I get the impression she’s freaking out. I think she may have done it accidentally.

I should have quoted it, but I referring to the inmmate dying of hydration because his water was turned off for six days.

Well there are laws in place that basically allow you to push a case into anothel local because they’re no chance they can get a fair trial locally.right? Why can’t we have laws in place to ensure that we don’t rubber stamp all our police cases through the Grand Jury process. These cases should go before a jury trial and not get stopped in a process that favors the officer or a Grand Jury process where the prosecutor instructs the jury not to proceed.

Bring in an outside Grand Jury process and a special prosecutor… doesn’t have to be Federal so much as not answerable to the police unions and local government.

I’d prefer federal as I have zero trust of state governments to represent the people these days.

There’s no way you can trust the southern states to do it right.

Oh I am with you. I think if the Feds got in the business of locals every time they shot someone we might see less people get shot.

I am asking Timex though about a second option because I am hoping he’s not actually suggesting we just leave everything the same right? I mean it’s not okay for us to watch people get dunned down by our police and not be held accountable right?

I forget if i posted this.

Note, the NYPD is lying here. The system they are running can clearly provide the information requested. Because it’s a massive multimillion dollar best of breed SAP data system.

But they don’t want to possible that information, because they don’t want civilian oversight of their confiscation of property.

New York City, Chicago, Milwaukee, and Cleveland will be shocked to hear they’ve migrated to the South.

Shit like this is straight out of a bad movie. Whom do they expect to believe this crap??

Half the country? Or more?

I mean look at anytime someone gets murdered by cops how fast people leap to their defense no matter the situation. This is magnitudes easier to hand-wave and justify. Cops are superhumans who can do no wrong. Unless they’re looking at you for something you did, then they’re the embodiment of tyranny, until they stop, then they’re great again.

So I stumbled across this story when reading Timex’s link in the Presidential race thread.

Well written, brief, yet powerful about the state of policing and the black community. I doubt it’s much new to us here, but it’s a good one to share.

The NYPD must be full of straight up idiots if they think a SELECT statement is going to crash their systems. Or if they are brazenly lying and think the public will buy that. Either way, who came up with that story?

Manslaughter charge in the Tulsa case, it appears.