Cop Shooting Thread

Oh, and they said that the videos were not edited, but the audio of the body cam footage had clearly been cut out of the beginning. It has no audio for half of it, so you can’t hear the cops taking, and then kicks in after the shooting.

It’s super shady.

Two different video appear to show the police planting a gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcArxYz7kAc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3jIwjI9BgE

Maybe there’s another explanation, that someone picked up evidence prematurely or something but it doesn’t look good.

Yeah, i saw the same thing. I can’t really tell what they are doing,. The second guy i suspect is ejecting the mag from the gun, but i agree that the guy in the red did something weird.

Ah, good call. That makes sense.

Charlotte police released the video. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article103995546.html

Looks pretty inconclusive to me. Easily not enough to charge anyone there.

Alstein - I agree, although that seemed to be the least useful vantage from any of the body cameras (I recall only one cop didn’t have one on, although my memory may be wrong). I suspect more will be seen later on.

re: the stuff that Rightbug posted - that looks bad. I can sort of understand some of it (ejecting the mag, tossing a gun away from someone you thought might potentially be dangerous), but that did look like there could have been something a lot less than honest going on.

In that video, there’s no gun in the spot where it drops in the video Rightbug posted - you can clearly see the area around the body before the cop gets there, and there’s no gun anywhere around. There’s also inexplicably no audio until after he’s down. I think the best possible explanation is that he had a gun still in his hands, which someone took from him (even though this is not seen in the other video, it’s possible it happened during one of the off-camera moments), but right now, it looks quite shady.

Those videos will confirm everyone’s opinion and change nobody’s mind.

I’m not sure how those videos could confirm someone’s opinion that he had a gun, but well, I’m also not sure how “Mexico will pay for the wall” didn’t get Trump laughed out of politics.

Multiple cops are yelling, “Drop the gun.” If you’re inclined to trust police, that will suffice.

The fact they didn’t release the video so long already did this.

I know in the Fresno shooting of Dylan Bundy (a white kid) the police chief refused at first to release the video because he wanted to finish the police investigation of the shooting first, that was apparently policy. But when it became obvious that wouldn’t work he did what the Charlotte police did, he invited the family in to view the video and then he released it to the media.

Now the video for that shooting was released complete and with full audio.

Yeah, this doesn’t mean much, as they will yell that to create an auditory record to back themselves up.

Maybe there’s another video I’m not seeing, but in the one I see I hear only “handcuffs” being yelled.

This is a community doing it right. I don’t think charges were in order on the cop- but the cop clearly overreacted unnecessarily and escalated things unprofessionally. I don’t think they should go after the female cop like some people asked- I mean what can she do in that situation and she tried to de-escalate things some.

I guess it depends on whether or not when we ask cops to weed out the bad ones we mean it or not.

Council members might not have learned about it, community activist Lewis Pitts said, had it not been for “courageous officers from inside the force who leaked the information out.”

I am guessing she wasn’t one of the courageous officers, but she was certainly there.

She might have said something afterwards, but in the heat of the moment she can’t confront an amped-up crooked cop. He might get her fired.

If she had joined in, then action should be taken (and would here I believe) She tried to de-escalate, which is really all you can expect in that situation. Also, she might not have known why there was escalation at that time- as she might have had her back turned doing something else.

Also we don’t know her service record- maybe she was exemplary otherwise unlike the dirtbag cop.

At the very least, I think there’s reasonable benefit of the doubt with the imperfect information I have to withhold calling for her job.

I never said she should confront him then and there although you would hope a good cop would not just sit by and do nothing as a bad cop destroys someone. My statement though was… i don’t think she was part of the group that took measures to make sure the public knew. She should have been.

There are a lot of things going on in that video they released, worth watching IMO. Some subtle, some not. YouTube version here. I really appreciated that they provided a version edited to show both cams/perspectives.

What was interesting to me was how incredibly polite and friendly everyone involved – Dejuan Yourse, Travis Cole, C.N. Jackson – seemed to be for the first eight or so minutes of the interaction. I mean, polite and friendly considering the situation, anyway. At the 8:45 mark when Yourse finally, explicitly complained that Cole didn’t seem to believe that he was innocent, the situation began to seriously break down, and right when Yourse finally said the words “harassing me” Cole lost his shit, snatched away the phone and proceeded to subdue Yourse. That was also the exact moment when you see Officer Jackson strolling up to the porch thanks to a reflection in the glass, and she immediately began helping in the Yoursea subduction moment later.

Greensboro tries really hard, but as you can see- even the best policies can be ruined by one dirtbag cop.

I think at this point we may even be at something needs to be done just to tell people there’s progress mode.