Cop Shooting Thread

Things like this make me crazy.

The officer that wounded the cameraman rushed over to help, repeatedly saying, “I thought it was a gun,” Grimm said.

These are the types of incidents that the NRA should be rushing to condemn. IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO CARRY A GUN in Ohio.

It’s also not illegal to set a gun up on a tripod on the side of a street as long as you’re not in the right-of-way. I mean, that kinda seems weird and I’d hope that the local cops would approach such an individual and have a chat with him, but believe it or not that’s not a crime and certainly not a capital one.

I think that’s going to slowly change. Juries tend to skew old, because retirees have the time on their hands. Can you imagine what’s going to happen in 10, 20, or 30 years when juries are full of people of our generation who have seen a trillion youtube videos detailing police abuses of power? A jury stocked with people who consider it axiomatic that cops lie and abuse authority is going to make life a lot harder for prosecutors. Which is not a bad thing.

I expect this will get a considerable amount of attention because of who he is and the platform he has. And Michael is a rather erudite dude, too, not to mention they won’t be able to buy his silence. Hope he sues the crap out of them and makes an example out of them.

TMZ, but it appears there is tape to support at least part of his story.

The comments I’ve seen from detractors is that Bennett made it all up, or that “nothing happened, so what is he complaining about?” type stuff. Depressing.

And if the team is anywhere near as good as I think they are going to be, he’s going to get a lot of chances to talk to the media before this season is over. A lot.

Sometimes I am not a charitable person. I try to look at my fellow human beings when terrible things happen and I try, really try, to put myself in their shoes and see it from their point of view. But sometimes, I think the worst of people. Usually, this happens when I’m faced with truly outrageous acts of evil like abusing and killing children, but sometimes it’s when I see the same shit happening all the time and nothing seems to be done about it. Especially if the system is weighted towards injustice. At that those times, it’s hard for me to keep cynical thoughts out of my head.

Take this, for instance. When I first read Bennett’s account of what happened, I wondered if any of the police involved in that incident had a second or two of thinking, “Maybe this will go a lot easier for me if I just kill him?” when they figured out who they were arresting.

Do all police departments require bodycams on their cops now? And can those equipped with them turn them on and off? Hmm. Thinking about this, weren’t those crooks in Baltimore caught planting evidence by their bodycams because the cameras continued rolling for a set amount of time after they powered them off?

Not even remotely.

They sure can and often are.

Sort of the opposite. The cameras on those cops are always running, but they immediately discard everything. When you turn them “on” the cameras start saving that recording for later review. The cops got snagged planting evidence because they either forgot or didn’t understand that the cameras archive 30 seconds back before the time you actually hit “on” so that you don’t miss something crucial. In this case, that was them being crooked as hell.

Looks like the Salt Lake County DA has requested the FBI investigate the cop who arrested the nurse for refusing to allow him to draw blood from a comatose patient.

STUDY: The devil’s lettuce makes undergrads more mellow.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/905991865689919489

But to be serious, it was always a claim of the police and their supporters that all this crazy military gear didn’t affect how they did their jobs. Having Cato support a study that says otherwise is a good thing, even if we all knew it already. Better to have the data, not that anyone listens to facts anyway.

Given the Chicago PDs use of black sites and the blue wall of silence, this being standard procedure is not just plausible, but likely. Why the election of Kim Foxx was considered one of the most consequential from a civil rights perspective.

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/907660938324537344

Emprise, for its part, appears to be unrepentant, issuing a statement claiming, “We are aware of a situation at the 21st and Woodlawn branch yesterday and can confirm that our team acted in accordance with our policies and procedures. If faced with the same circumstances today, we would expect our team to take the same actions.”

Just backed this.

Umm… what were the circumstances? Hello? Journalists? Really curious here. I know there are all sorts of wacky laws about structuring withdrawals or IRS investigations for suspicious deposits, but I’ve never heard about an on-scene arrest for a deposit.

A judge found a white former St. Louis police officer not guilty of first-degree murder on Friday in the death of a black man who was fatally shot following a high-speed chase in 2011.

The former officer, Jason Stockley, shot 24-year-old Anthony Lamar Smith five times. The officer said he saw Smith holding a gun and felt he was in imminent danger, but prosecutors said Stockley planted a gun in Smith’s car after he shot him.

Assistant Circuit Attorney Robert Steele emphasized during the trial that police dashcam video of the chase captured Stockley saying he was “going to kill this (expletive), don’t you know it.” Less than a minute later, the officer fatally shot Smith. Stockley’s lawyer dismissed the comment as “human emotions” amid a dangerous police pursuit.