Cop Shooting Thread

Swatting finally got someone killed, and not the intended target (since the swattee gave the swatter a made-up address):

Why would online gamers be involved in something like “swatting”? I don’t get the connection but then I don’t do any multiplayer online stuff.

That population has large numbers of adolescent males who have grown up in an internet culture that reinforces trolling as a means to gain status. Empathy barely exists in a space where everyone else is just faceless voice. So, you have a bunch of angry strangers in close contact with each other, at exactly the stage in life when social and ethical inhibitions are at their weakest.

So, they pretty much do it for the lulz.

So does one of them show up at the scene to film the fun or is knowing that the cops responded simply enough for them to get their jollies.

Sometimes it’s done just to harass, other times it’s done to streamers while they’re streaming with the hope of capturing on-camera.

Seems like the swat team needs to play a few rounds of SWAT and watch the ‘training videos’ from Daryl Gates, maybe they wouldn’t have shot an innocent civilian then.

It’s attempted murder at the very least. Actual murder in this case imo.

No need if they’re streamers, they’re recording it for you.

Mostly it’s just knowing I suspect.

https://twitter.com/NonWhiteHat/status/946867410216390662
https://twitter.com/NonWhiteHat/status/946868376512626688

I really doubt they’ll be able to charge beyond filing a false police report.

I bet they get more. All it takes is one cop to get PTSD from it and they’ll bring down the thunder and everyone will back them. Even if these specific people avoid the charge, I could see a push from police unions and… nearly everyone to make SWATTING attempted murder on the books.

Unlike most things involving police violence, there isn’t a political side on it. It puts people and cops in danger, both sides would be more than happy to throw the book at people that do it.

An innocent guy was killed because of their false report. Why would they be unable to charge anything past that?

Surely the policeman that shot an unarmed man coming to answer his door deserves some scrutiny? To be clear, I think the swatter needs to face some serious jail time, but the cop made a monumentally bad decision here.

It’s only attempted murder when you have an expectation that the police will murder anyone they come into contact with. Sadly in America, that’s the status quo now.

A court case involving that would have the prosecution arguing that the police are inherently murderers and any encounter with them is dangerous. I don’t see that happening.

You know, I understand the feeling. But as a person who has several police officers in the family. Someone who has a lot of respect for you. @Timex And particularly you.

I have several uncles and one particular cousin who went as far as Captain, who was a great dad. And was wounded in action. I’m kind of pissed off at you particularly.

Fuck the police? Like fuck all of them? Even my injured cousin? Even my uncle who was shot twice? And who is fucked up and uses one of those scooters everyone makes fun of?

So I’d like an explanation. You fucking all of the police in the world? Like some child that thinks that painting an A in a circle is sending a message? What was your fucking point?

I think there are criminal charges that could possibly be filed against the swatter along the lines of manslaughter. Manslaughter doesn’t require the specific intent to kill, and can be charged based on a “depraved indifference to human life”. IMO, this swatter is a textbook example of both depravity and indifference to the consequences.

It does seem that the cops are in the news often enough for shooting and killing unarmed people. It might not be fair, but when you get to enforce the law, you have to be held to a higher standard.

Fuck the incompetent police?

It’s a bigger list than that. It’s the racist and bigot cops, the power hungry and lie about the law cops; it’s the blue lives matter cops, the if you twitch wrong I’ll kill you cops, it’s the harassing and blackmailing cops, the self appointed jury, judge and executioner cops, the let’s close ranks cops… and the incompetent cops.

Rich, I can understand that sentiment. I used to hang out with a bunch of cops in DC, some of them homicide detectives. Also many federal LE agents. But an honest question:. On the whole (not individually, think broad scope), have the public lost faith in the police in this country? In there any valid reasons for that?

It seems more and more stories of dangerous police interactions are surfacing, just like the metoo phenomenon. It is starting to feel dangerous to call the police for fear they will militarily escalate and kill. Does this seem to be warranted?

The new normal is don’t call the cops unless you want someone dead.

That someone might even be you.

Depends on the area, but if you live in like Baltimore, calling the cops on someone is akin to calling a hitman these days.

Eh, I have a friend who is a state trooper. I’ve always believed that many police are pillars of our society.

I think I’m just getting sick of coming to this growing realization that so many cops are such pieces of shit. I grew up thinking they were the heros, and to learn how do much of our society is seemingly consistently treated so poorly? It makes me critical of the institution as a whole, even though I know there are good cops.

Hell, you know what’s sad? I thought about it, and I don’t know if I can honestly say it’s even most cops that are good now. Hell, maybe it’s just the good ones I know.

I think being a cop attracts a certain type of really good person, who wants to be the hero.

But I think maybe it also attracts a certain bad type of person too.

And there seem to be institutional problems with the entire criminal justice system.