Cop Shooting Thread

Not a shooting, but relevant. Charges brought by a city civil rights unit put into place a year ago. Seems like a good thing, and we need more of those.

Let us not forget that DA’s are also terrible.

https://twitter.com/AdamKissel/status/974596992918802433

Why not just weigh the heinous criminal himself? Could have charged him with at least 150+ lbs of marijuana possession. Once the man consumes any marijuana, he becomes marijuana, right? I’m sure Alabama officials will be quick to punish, err, reward this sheriff for his victory over this obvious drug kingpin.

That’s such a bizarre way of weighing a drug… I just assumed they had labs that like people of science involved in this stuff.

Why pay nerds in a lab? They might let those criminals off easy with their annoying facts and shit.

Even when you are dead you get no respect. If you would like to carry some of your loved ones’ ashes with you, expect to get tested for drugs, and of course the remains end up scattered on the floor. I have heard similar stories travelling on airplanes with cremains.

Not that I think cops should be harassing people over small amounts of drugs, but if we have laws against cocaine then walking around with vials of white powder is going to naturally be suspicious.

They really should have more than that to search a car. I mean, unless he was pulled over for suspicion of driving under the influence or has a warrant, write the ticket and move on. Search they’re supposed to keep an eye on things but it’s not like someone was locked in the trunk or there was a pile of explosives on the seat.

Cops rarely give a crap about the actual traffic violations. It’s just an excuse to try to get you for something bigger.

Fortunately that’s not my experience, and when I delivered papers, I got pulled over probably a dozen times until one of the new guys just accepted that you do weird shit in wee hours when you deliver paper.

Heck I was digging in the trunk of my car when they pulled up once and they finally told me the delivery van kept triggering a silent alarm right before I usually arrived… paper bundles are heavy.

It looks like they probably asked him if they could search his car and he naively (edited out ‘stupidly’) agreed to let them. They probably had no legal reason to search it but if he agrees to it then they can.

The sheriff’s office says Butler agreed to let the deputy field-test a “miniscule” amount of the ashes for drugs, which Butler disputes, the publication reported.

Or the cops thought they had probable cause cause they were sure it was drugs. Then they fucked up and it wasn’t and they needed an excuse so they said he agreed to it the search.

Because if it had been drugs we never would have heard about this.

real charges this time (Updated Mar 20, 2018)

Black cop shoots white woman and is charged. Sounds about right. Can’t let this one off the hook, boys!

Not a shooting, but a good example of how hard it is to get rid of bad cops.

Gun Task Force officer shows up to testify at murder trial, puts aggressive moves on a court clerk, lies to the judge about it under oath, which gets the murder suspect’s charges dismissed.
http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=21441

While this article doesn’t mention the Cyber Crimes detective that harassed the court clerk, it does say a little more about the dismissal and the corrupt Gun Trace Task Force.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-gttf-case-review-20180323-story.html

If they ever decide to reboot The Shield, they can base it on these guys instead of LA’s old Rampart Division strike team.

There were serious logistical problems in bringing GTTF officers to court to testify: they are now in separate federal prisons spread across the country and are not supposed to be in the city at the same time. Additionally, the assumption was that because none of GTTF had been sentenced, they would all plead the fifth if they were brought to court.

Two days before the dismissal, in a statement press conference in front for the SAO, Ivan Bates, who is running against Marilyn Mosby for the top prosecutor job, called for a dismall of the Smith case, likening the attempt to prosecute cases involving the GTTF to trying to eat around mold in a loaf of bread. “For me it’s simple,” he said. “If those officers are involved, let’s go ahead and move on and dismiss the case. Because now the defense has a right to call those officers to the witness stand. So now what you’ve done is made it a circus.”
GTTF = Gun Trace Task Force (GTTF)

same group:

Detectives Daniel T. Hersl, 48, and Marcus R. Taylor, 31, were found guilty of racketeering, racketeering conspiracy and robbery. Prosecutors said they and their comrades on the Gun Trace Task Force had acted as “both cops and robbers,” using the power of their badges to steal large sums of money from residents under the guise of police work.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-gttf-verdict-20180208-story.html

I don’t even have the words for this.