Cop Shooting Thread

What in the FUCK?

Well, that was totally fucked up in more ways than one.

At least the dept is acting swiftly:

Chief Jorge Colina said he’d received a video of an officer clearly violating departmental policy. That cop had been relieved of duty, he reported, adding the department had sent the clip to the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office.

Yeah, but check out some of the other things… The official report of the incident, filed by all the other cops, didn’t mention any of that stuff at all. But they aren’t being punished at all for filing a false report of the situation. Oh, also, the cop who’s suspended is suspended with pay… so basically, he’s just on vacation.

So, again, we’re left in a situation where the only thing imposing justice is some random person with a camera, not the cops themselves.

It’s almost like they’re bad people. . .

You can’t cast all cops as bad people. I think that most cops are good people, who actually want to serve their communities.

But the bad ones have such power, that their ability to do harm is magnified by their position.

There’s bad cops, then all the bad cops enabling the worst of them. That later group comprises everyone in the video, apparently. The number of good cops seems significantly lower than I had hoped.

Hey, there are fine people on both sides of that running kick to the head!

Like most professions, there are a certain percentage that really believe in their job, want to make things better, etc. A large majority after that, doing an average job, collecting their paycheck, etc. And then the bottom feeders, looking for every advantage they can, selfishly doing what they can to improve their own lot in life at the expense of others. Unfortunately for cops, that last group can really make a huge negative impact on society. From murdering people and unjustified beatings all the way to lying about whose fault an accident was or flaunting regular traffic laws, all of these greatly affect how we view cops overall.

This is the real issue. Most cops are “good” people who don’t do this shit… who also don’t report when someone else does do this shit. Which makes them… not that good really.

Add in that those few who do report this sort of shit magically end up no longer being cops and are run out the door by the unions and the rest of the force and you have a real fucking problem.

This may be fair. Part of the issue at that point becomes the institution itself, which castigates cops who rat on their fellow cops.

Yes, exactly this. A majority of cops would not do things we’ve seen.

But it certainly seems a majority would cover for those who do. Which is a serious and severe problem.

And of course this will never change when it’s seen as sacrilege to ever say anything negative about cops. President Fuckstick and his party will ‘back the Blue’ indefinitely because they’re usually only killing minorities so it’s not that big of a deal. So the institution continues to rot.

In contrast, note how quickly Trump & company turned on the FBI once it actually affected them.

Which is amazing since conservatives were the ones who used to not trust the police and made fun of liberals for doing so.

Then they realized cops treated minorities like shit and decided cops were great.

Yep. This is why I no longer accept that ‘most police’ are good apples, and it’s just a few that need to be dealt with. The vast majority appear to be complicit with this bullshit.

Thank you police union.

I would hope not but yes, until cops are willing to “police” their own then there is no reason we should believe anything they tell us. Officers have to realize at some point that the bad cops reflect directly upon the good cops, and so that now for many there are no good cops.

Yep. Every cop in that video is a bad cop because they didn’t report it.

Cops/mil/government are ultimately just a bigger gang people join with more people and laws “on their side”. This goes for everyone pretty much, even Qt3 posters. After all, Charles Darwin didn’t discover that some groups are morally better than other groups because they carry a cross, badge or Republican/Democratic party membership card.

OTOH, there are no “evil” species, either, and most social animals get along with each other pretty well the majority of the time.

[edit]

A story of a good cop.

The final paragraph is very telling of what young cops are taught, versus the ideal.

Thank you for saying this. My cousin and several of my uncles were cops. None of them were bad guys. In fact they were great people who cared about their jobs and the people they worked with. It’s too easy these days to paint all police with a broad brush and call them all racist scumbags that murder people. That’s the same as saying that all Mexicans are rapists or steal hubcaps. Or all black people are lazy and murder people.

You have to realize that there are a lot of police out there. A small percentage are bad cops. But they get all of the press coverage.

I had a long discussion with my girlfirend’s uncle, who is a cop and a very nice guy, about “carding” which was a police tactic in Ontario whereby they would randomly stop people, question them, and ask to see their ID. Naturally this was ruled as illegal, especially since 90% of the time it was used to hassle black people.

He was upset that this had been ruled illegal because in his mind it reduced the number of tools police could use to prevent crime. He is definitely not a racist, he just couldn’t see how carding was being used to essentially racially profile innocent people, thus adding to the vicious circle of constant oppression.

Even if it wasn’t racially used, that send like it would constitute an illegal search of people.