Cop Shooting Thread

Carding is still legal if police are investigating a specific crime or if they see suspicious activity, which unfortunately gives them a ton of latitude to continue hassling minorities.

edit: actually suspicious activity is no longer a valid cause for carding. But it can be done during traffic stops.

Yeah, if you have committed some trivial crime while driving, they can request your driver’s license. But if you are just walking around and haven’t committed a crime, they can’t. Or rather, they can ask, but you are under no obligation to give it to them.

Hell, you aren’t under any obligation to even have an ID.

This right here is the exemplar of what’s wrong with policing culture today. Never mind that the guy had actually paid for the candy and that the off-duty cop was flat out wrong… it’s the core idea that you’d pull your weapon on an unarmed, non-violent suspect for stealing less than a dollar’s worth of sugar.

N.W.A had the right of it.

Isn’t crime at an all-time low this last decade? If so p, that makes this kind of police interactions even more like fascist type behavior.

It did drop and then went up again. At least I know that is the California stats. I do think they have leveled off again though. Crime went up here when the laws regarding what was a felony changed. Of course that happened during the recession, so that factored in as well.

In California now many crimes that were felonies are now misdemeanors. They raised the dollar value of what a felony is. As a result you are seeing the same guys out committing the same crimes, all as misdemeanors. A google search tells me crime rates for misdemeanors are up in 48 California cities since the law changed.

So a guy breaks in, steals your TV and whatever. Value less that $1k. You report it to your insurance company and the cops but it is only a misdemeanor if the guy is caught.

Cujo 2: Winter’s Here to Stay, Motherfucker

Eh, the groundhog running at him was kind of weird… the thing might have been rabid.

Agreed. But the comments are priceless, regardless.

See, this is why I used to respect NR. They didn’t have a perspective I agreed with on many things, but they were generally principled and a perspective that could be negotiated with. A place where bipartisanship could work.

Now they’ve gone full Trumpist, so the hell with them.

I’m pretty sure that the NR is not generally supportive of Trump.

Officer Liang is not merely a bad apple, though thankfully he has been stripped of his gun and will likely face a grand jury in coming months. He’s a rookie police officer who has come up through a union culture that programs cops to think of self first, rather than of community first – the very orientation the job of a policeman requires.

This has actually been mentioned here. I believe someone said the officer’s number one priority is to return home each night. Self first.

Also the incident mentioned in there, where someone is dying and all the officer cares about is his job. The training these men and women go through seems to dehumanize their victims to the point where some of them are not even thinking about someone’s life anymore.

I think they are too, very Trumpland over there.

Someone will eventually stick a gun in his mouth and pull the trigger. It will be a bullet well spent.